Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2009, 07:17 PM   #1

Sample images for LED replacement

My family and I often dry camp on our vacation property. I have made some mods that help with our power usage. First I installed dual 12v batteries. Next I installed a DC ammeter to monitor current usage from the power distribution panel. Now I have replaced 6 of the incandescent bulbs (#1141) with the Rigid Industries LEDs. I am very happy with them. To give an idea of the difference in light, I have attached two pictures. Both are with the same settings, the left picture is the LED. I only took a picture with one fixture to give a better of the light spread and quality.

The light output is nearly identical, with the LED slightly less bright. Anyway, the current for 6 - #1141 bulbs was 7.3 amps, the replacement 6 LEDs draw 1.6 amps. More light for less current. I know I will rarely use all six LEDs at the same time on battery, but my testing gives you an idea of the current difference.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new LED.jpg
Views:	524
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	1811   Click image for larger version

Name:	original bulb.jpg
Views:	497
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	1812  
RPAspey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:13 PM   #2

It really does make a huge difference. I didnt think it would be that noticable but it sure is thanks for the pics
Old 09-16-2009, 06:32 AM   #3
Site Team

What is the model number for the LEDs you used??
What did they cost?
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 07:01 AM   #4
CLASS "A" Senior Member

One other thing you didn't mention is those LEDs will last way longer than any incandescent bulb. Taking that into consideration of how many bulbs would be replaced vs. one time replacement with the LED. Great pictures, thanks for the info.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 01:15 PM   #5

I have a question also. Did you have to change out the whole light fixture or is there a way it all plugs up to the same ones?
Old 09-16-2009, 05:44 PM   #6

They weren't cheap. $24.95 free shipping.

here is the link: http://www.rigidindustries.com/product_p/rgdrvled.htm
Old 09-16-2009, 05:49 PM   #7

Oh yeh, its a plug like the original lamp base and another two pin connector to the LED assembly. All one has to do is remove the original bulb, insert the plug, then plug in the leds. Finally, peel off the sticky backer and place in the fixture.

You can test the lights without ever removing them from the package. There is a switch and a small battery pack included that allows you to test the lights. Although 1 of the 6 lights had bad set of batteries so I couldn't test it.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:08 PM   #8

Smile

Hi All,
I just switch over all of the miniature wedge base bulbs in our Georgetown for LEDs - what a difference it makes on battery usage. I also swapped out the map lights up front. I found all of the lights at www.superbrightleds.com - they are not cheap but make a huge difference when boondocking and will last quite a bit longer than the incandesants.
Next on my list is to replace the halogen overheads in the living room and all of the outside running and tail lights with LEDs.
Adam
Los Popes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:59 PM   #9

I don't know how true It is but from what I hear as of 2012 the incandescent light bulbs will be a thing of the past. Manufactures will no longer make them, we will be using compact fluorescents and LED's.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
I don't know how true It is but from what I hear as of 2012 the incandescent light bulbs will be a thing of the past. Manufactures will no longer make them, we will be using compact fluorescents and LED's.
I have heard this too but I don't know the timeline for phase out of incandescents. I plan on spending at least some of my pending tax return on LEDs for our rig too.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:34 AM   #11

I wanted to convert my outside lights (tailights and marker lights) to LED mainly for the looks. I know what replacement bulb I need for the tailights but cannot figure out the marker lights. There does not seem to be a number anywhere that cross references to the LED lights. V-leds.com I understand is a great place to get LEDs from too.
1 wife, 1 son, & 1 cat
Volunteer Firefighter/EMT
Asst. Scoutmaster (BSA)
archham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 10:23 AM   #12

info on incandescent light bulbs

http://www.metaefficient.com/new/us-...ght-bulbs.html
Click on lquid filled LED bulbs.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
These bulbs are Edison screw base bulbs for replacing standard household bulbs and wouldn't work for the marker lights on an RV, although they are very compelling for their intended use, I hadn't seen them before, but I digress. Most marker lights are a 194 style wedge base bulb, LEDs for those are readily available.

Try this page at Superbright LEDs to find what you are looking for.

For porch lights Starlight Inc. has some new LED bulbs. Go to thier site here and scroll half way down the page to see them.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 03:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeeper View Post
These bulbs are Edison screw base bulbs for replacing standard household bulbs and wouldn't work for the marker lights on an RV, although they are very compelling for their intended use, I hadn't seen them before, but I digress. Most marker lights are a 194 style wedge base bulb, LEDs for those are readily available.

Try this page at Superbright LEDs to find what you are looking for.

For porch lights Starlight Inc. has some new LED bulbs. Go to thier site here and scroll half way down the page to see them.
It's funny I went on line to found out when the end was near. I googled it and all of the info was there, so I copied the link down on paper and then posted the link on the Forum but the info came up different. Now I don't remember what I googled....It's hell when one gets old.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:51 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPAspey View Post
They weren't cheap. $24.95 free shipping.

here is the link: http://www.rigidindustries.com/product_p/rgdrvled.htm
I have been wanting to order these for quite some time. I check back on their site every so often hoping to see a price drop, but it hasn't. The $25 price tag is what puts me off from ordering. 3 of those could get me a 2nd deep cycle battery.

--Ryan