Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2013, 07:33 PM   #1

satellite Tv

I am thinking about a system for our 5th wheel. It is a 2014 cardinal 3850. Is it wired with the proper cable for sat? is all I have to do is screw the wire into the connection? I have seen it stated that they don't have the correct wiring. since We don't have cable at home I am thinking Dish is a better choice. I see CW has a package using the tailgater for Dish that looks good! Besides the tailgater and receiver is there anything equipt wise I will need? Look forwaed to your replies Bill
bandit9077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:36 PM   #2

another question, Can I watch regular tv on the bedroom tv while watching sat in the living room? if so, how? I am not very technologically advanced
bandit9077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:54 PM   #3

We have the tailgater and love it . It will only support one receiver but you can watch regular tv on your other tv by antenna or cable. We have Dish in the main room and cable in the bedroom and bunkroom. Good luck!
Braves Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 08:40 PM   #4

The Tailgater system will allow you to watch one channel. You can see it in HD in the living room (receiver connected to your TV with an HDMI cable) and you will be able to set it up to watch that same channel in Standard Definition on the other TV(s). If you are good with those limitations, then yes, the CW Tailgater package is great. If cost is an issue, you could go cheaper by buying a tripod and dish and aligning it yourself (instead of an automated system).

If you don't have Dish at home, you can use their pay-as-you-go option. No contract and you can pay only for the days you are out camping, which can make it really cheap.

According to the specs on your RV, you have only a single exterior connection for a Cable or Satellite input. (There is prep for a roof-mounted sat system, but that won't help.)

What this means is that on the inside of your RV at the Antenna Booster control plate, you have to disconnect that Cable Input from the booster plate and wire it directly to your Sat receiver.
Here are a couple of pictures.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3651472273.jpg
Views:	34745
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	42906

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-350884037.jpg
Views:	718
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	42907

(In the second picture, the connection from the output of the receiver is how you would get that SD channel into the other TVs.)

Here his one persons suggestion on how to make it where you can change from a Sat configuration to a Cable configuration easily: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...?do=file&id=97

(In some new RVs they do this jumper setup on a separate wallplate.)

This should get you off to a good start.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 08:26 AM   #5

Oh, and one more thing. When you buy the receiver, try to get the Vip211K (instead of the Z). The difference is that the Z doesn't have the modulator output to produce a signal that you can route to your other TVs. If CW only has Z's now, you can buy from Dish Depot which has a great reputation and reasonable prices.

If you do end up with the Z model, you can buy an add-on modulator; several available on Amazon for ~$10 or less.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 02:43 PM   #6

Thank you for the diagrams. Worked perfectly for the tailgater!

Tags
satellite