Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2015, 08:38 PM   #1

Satellite install

I'm sure this has been discussed my apologies if I missed it. I have installed a dish network tailgater satellite in our Cherokee 274dbh. I first removed the cable in connection from the amplifier and made it a direct connect to the Vip 211k receiver. This worked great and the TV at our entertainment center has a great picture and i didn't have any connection problems to the tailgator dish. The problem I do have is from the receiver I have a coax that runs out and up to another connection I created to output the picture to our bedroom TV and outside tv (coax from receiver runs to a 2-way splitter). The picture on the two additional televisions is very snowy. Thinking that the splitter was the problem I switched it out but same issue. next thing I did was hook bedroom tv up directly to back of the receiver and the picture is just fine, in standard definition which I knew it would be but it's clear with no distortion. Ive checked all connections, everything else is fine which leads me to cause of signal loss. Now my question what do I need to put in line of the coax output before the splitter? Would a simple signal amplifier fix the issue, if so which one would be recommended? The other option I thought of was an rca converter which would take the composite video output of the receiver and convert it to a coax connection. Thanks in advance for any help!
Aaron015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 09:10 PM   #2
Go Pack Go!!

I have a two room DirecTV system, both HD-DVR's networked. I agree, between the splitters and their coax connectors, the TV pictures were horrible in the bedrooms and outside.

First, I would go with the converter. I currently have an S-video (and RCA) to coax converter for better picture throughout the camper, one on each of my DVR's.

On my DVR that powers the outside TV and another 100' away at our fire-pit, I have another S-Video/RCA to coax converter, then picked up a simple UHF/VHF amplifier (years ago from Radio Shack) which is located after the converter to boost the signal. With these items, it significantly helped with the outputs.

I now pretty much get all my A/V equipment from Monoprice, and I have converted to all HDMI cables inside and outside the camper, including the use of powered HDMI splitters from Monoprice. The converters are pretty cheap at Wal-Mart though.

Hope this helps you.
codespy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 09:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by codespy View Post
I have a two room DirecTV system, both HD-DVR's networked. I agree, between the splitters and their coax connectors, the TV pictures were horrible in the bedrooms and outside.

First, I would go with the converter. I currently have an S-video (and RCA) to coax converter for better picture throughout the camper, one on each of my DVR's.

On my DVR that powers the outside TV and another 100' away at our fire-pit, I have another S-Video/RCA to coax converter, then picked up a simple UHF/VHF amplifier (years ago from Radio Shack) which is located after the converter to boost the signal. With these items, it significantly helped with the outputs.

I now pretty much get all my A/V equipment from Monoprice, and I have converted to all HDMI cables inside and outside the camper, including the use of powered HDMI splitters from Monoprice. The converters are pretty cheap at Wal-Mart though.

Hope this helps you.
Awesome thanks for the info it definitely helps out. I think I will get a video converter and go from there. I would definitely love to convert to hdmi in our camper. I could do it pretty easily over to the bedroom TV but outside TV would be a challenge. Thanks again.
Old 04-05-2015, 09:32 PM   #4
Go Pack Go!!

If I remember correctly (going back to May 2007), I believe I did replace a bunch of coax connectors, and used top of the line connectors (like the cable and sat companies use), since the factory had installed some low quality crimp connectors. I think the splitters were fine and did not have to replace those.
codespy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 09:42 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

I don't know how the Dish tech did it, but our Tailgater box is on the LR tv and if I do a scan on the BR and outside tv, I can get whatever is on the LR tv on either or both the other tvs by doing a scan and then select channel 3. Can get all the local channels at the same time with the roof antenna (Jacks).
Old 04-05-2015, 09:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by codespy View Post
If I remember correctly (going back to May 2007), I believe I did replace a bunch of coax connectors, and used top of the line connectors (like the cable and sat companies use), since the factory had installed some low quality crimp connectors. I think the splitters were fine and did not have to replace those.
I don't think I have that issue the cables/connectors look pretty good. The output signal must be pretty weak from the 211k. I made sure to get the 211k for ease of running to additional sets but didn't think I'd have a signal problem.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I don't know how the Dish tech did it, but our Tailgater box is on the LR tv and if I do a scan on the BR and outside tv, I can get whatever is on the LR tv on either or both the other tvs by doing a scan and then select channel 3. Can get all the local channels at the same time with the roof antenna (Jacks).
That's how I have mine setup. I can scan and find the signal the picture is just crappy. I'm actually a directv subscriber but we just recently switched to dish for a better deal. I have the tech coming here Wednesday setting up new home receivers I may have him look at the receiver in my camper see what he thinks or he may actually have something I can use.

Tags
satellite