Old 06-15-2016, 08:01 PM   #1

Satellite question

What does it mean when they advertise an RV as satellite ready? The ad says: Winegard® HD ready pre-wire

Old 06-15-2016, 10:49 PM   #2
Sham183

Basically just hook up and go. The wires are already run through the TT so it should be as simple as getting the satellite or antenna, hook it up to the jack and tv and off you go.

Old 06-17-2016, 10:53 AM   #3

I want a satellite on top of my camper but it's not cheap on getting one installed

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 10:58 AM   #4
Prime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I want a satellite on top of my camper but it's not cheap on getting one installed

If I were you, I'd get a satellite dish. I'm not sure how NASA or DirecTV would feel if you bolted one of their satellites to your roof.

2016 Coachmen Freedom Express Liberty Edition 310BHDS
2013 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LTZ 6.6L V8 Duramax
Husky weight distribution hitch with sway control
timfromma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 11:12 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
If I were you, I'd get a satellite dish. I'm not sure how NASA or DirecTV would feel if you bolted one of their satellites to your roof.

And get a portable setup or a tripod mounted one.........unless you are always out in the wide open with no trees.

As far as prewired....its not uncommon to have them pre miswired.
Old 06-17-2016, 11:50 AM   #6
Site Team

... or even misprewired.

Sent (I think)

Nights Camped: '13 = 49 / '14 = 74 / '15 = 74 / '16 = 85 / '17 = 110 / '18 = 0; booked = 28
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 02:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post

That was not funny to me, so I left out a word. I somehow think most people knew what I was talking about, but there's always a few

Old 06-18-2016, 11:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvretired View Post
What does it mean when they advertise an RV as satellite ready? The ad says: Winegard® HD ready pre-wire
It can mean 2 different things or both;

1. The trailer can be prewired for a portable system. This can be a conventional dish that you take out and aim when you set up. You could also use one of the portable self aiming systems like a Tailgater, Pathway X2 or the Carry out. All of these are setup near the camper and are stowed each time you setup.

2. A roof top system, like the Winegard Trav'ler, it is a completely self-contained unit. Our Cedar Creek was prewired for this.

You mount the system on the roof and at a predetermined location cut a hole in the roof membrane and fish out wires that were installed at the factory.

The Trav'ler woks like your system at home but when you park you turn on the system and it deploys and then looks into the sats by itself. When you get ready to leave yo turn in off and it stows itself for travel.
We love our Trav'ler, the only negative is if you are in dense trees you might need to move the whole trailer to get it to lock in. (one advantage of the portable. Oh and it's the most expensive, if you're handy and shop it should be about $1200.

We tend to move frequently so the Trav'ler made sense to us, but if I stayed in one spot for extended periods of time I'd just build a portable regular dish and set it up over a beer.
DKRITTER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 11:24 AM   #9

As a side note

We have had 3 dish satellite systems over the last few years.

First was the Tailgater, we had to return one that didn't work and never got a real good signal with it.

Second was the Pathway X2 which worked well but we had to aim it every day or two and it too was a bit of a hassle to set up. My $.02

I bought a Trav'ler in March and installed it myself and as has been said by others the hardest part was getting it up on the roof. It has been perfect from day one, absolutely no issues.

We stay in the trailer 75 to 100 days a year and usually stay in one place less than a week so it made sense to us to go with the Trav'ler.
DKRITTER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 06:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRITTER View Post
As a side note

We have had 3 dish satellite systems over the last few years.

First was the Tailgater, we had to return one that didn't work and never got a real good signal with it.

Second was the Pathway X2 which worked well but we had to aim it every day or two and it too was a bit of a hassle to set up. My $.02

I bought a Trav'ler in March and installed it myself and as has been said by others the hardest part was getting it up on the roof. It has been perfect from day one, absolutely no issues.

We stay in the trailer 75 to 100 days a year and usually stay in one place less than a week so it made sense to us to go with the Trav'ler.

Do you have Dish or Direct?

Tags
satellite