Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2015, 02:31 PM   #21

If you like to watch reruns and the same programs day after day then go with dish.
Gee Whiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 03:44 PM   #22
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Whiz View Post
If you like to watch reruns and the same programs day after day then go with dish.
What?

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "24 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 06:44 PM   #23

satelite

If you like to watch reruns and the same programs day after day then go with HBO LOL.
Lancaster NY
xman123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 07:20 PM   #24

I guess I need to take a deep breath and relax a little. Just yesterday I was thinking of cancelling Dish. We spend maybe 30+ nights a year in the 5th wheel and I have to call Dish and tell them where I am and they walk me through the process. Most campgrounds have decent cable and they have trees. We have a one-week trip planned for October. Think I'll keep dish and give it another try. Maybe I'll time the process....it may not take as long as I think. Thanks, Jerry
Old 08-21-2015, 07:45 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
you have to upgrade your DirecTV remote to RF from infrared $24... I change my channel from the basement at home

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o00_s00

I use DirecTV at home and I take my receiver on the road with me and I picked up a second dish for the road.

Many, many threads on here comparing Dish to DirecTV...
Do you have to buy anything else besides the remote for it to work?
Lancaster NY
xman123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 12:24 PM   #26

Have seen that Dish has a set up where you can get the Auto dish and receiver for your Rv, also able to pay for only the days used. Has anyone signed up for this program??

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk
Frank & Eve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 02:37 PM   #27

xman123

Quote:
Do you have to buy anything else besides the remote for it to work?
NO... std remotes work on infrared lights beams that don't go around corners well
the RF remotes work on radio waves that pierce walls...

I learned the hard way that you can't mix and match remotes... bought an RF for the wife so she could change stations from the basement (have second TV downstairs on the same output), but then the upstairs remote did not work... there is a setting in the SETUP functions of the receiver that lets you specify either type of remote, but both will not work at the same time... had to purchase a second RF remote for upstairs... but they do work well...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 07:12 AM   #28

If you have a good friend that has direct tv,ask them to get a extra box and use their account.I pay my son 120 dollars a year.you can pick up a dish and LNB for next to nothing.or you can buy a dish and tripod on ebay or amazon.I been useing this for 8 years.in winter, I use it inside.you have to keep the box activated because it is updated 24-7
old rv man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 06:38 PM   #29

I tell the dish network the kids got grounded and took the receiver. Usually hear some chuckle and they are happy to prevent the cruel and unusual punishment. Hmm. I was seventeen with a broken back and legs after a wreck before a TV allowed in the house. Guess it's like drinking out of a garden hose.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:35 PM   #30

We have used both. Be aware that if you get a Tailgater it system specific. But there is another model satellite, I believe it's called a King, that will do Direct TV or Dish. And we prefer Dish!

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
dj3spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:42 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj3spots View Post
Be aware that if you get a Tailgater it system specific. But there is another model satellite, I believe it's called a King, that will do Direct TV or Dish.
King Tailgater is for Dish and King Quest is for DirectTV. I have the Tailgater and and two receivers and it has been working great as long as I'm not in a fully wooded site!
gargoyle999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 09:00 PM   #32

Thanks Gargoyle. I thought it could be used for either. I was actually going to get one. Lol. Guess not.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
dj3spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 09:39 PM   #33

I have Direct TV and a Winegaurd 1st gen carryout. Never had any problem receiving a signal even in wooded areas. We had Dish but they started squabbling with AMC and so we switched. BIG Walking dead fans.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 12:28 PM   #34

Have directv with traveler. Pay an extra $13 per month for two receivers. Get the same programming as home. Traveler is not cheap but for us the total bomb. Spend at at least 24 weekends in our unit for work and use it for fun. Traveler well worth the money. Just push a button wow!!
soccerloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 12:48 PM   #35

Just got the King Quest for DTV. Have not tried it yet other that in the yard. Taking a receiver from the house. Have not hard wired ours. DH made an opening for the cable inside where the trashcan door is...hooked up an A-B switch. Works perfectly. Called our dealer about wiring it for us. $500 plus parts!!

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk
Frank & Eve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 01:19 PM   #36
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Use a King Flex model for Direct, it's what we have here at home.The Flex also works for Dish. I bought, off E-bay, A receiver to leave in trailer, came with remote and new (worthless) card. To activate, called Direct, gave them the receivers id number to make sure it wasn't on Amarica's most wanted list ( leased unit with out standing bill that was owed), gave 'em account number. Receiver free and clear, so they sent me a program card with same package I get here, cost's $6.00 a month and, can de-activate (like Dish) if not being used...I leave mine activated...one less thing to do) The Flex is an automatic find the bird thing.....When we went to Nashville Rally last summer, had to call them to make it receive east of Miss. River..don't and didn't ask why... King says to use 50' rg6 cable, but have had 100' on the run and didn't notice any pic. problems...Not HD, I don't care...
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 08:08 PM   #37
John513

I recently bought a tailgater dish and dish receiver. I too have cable at home and dish you can do pay by the month where as no contract. Just turn on when you want to use and cancel when your not using it.
JohnRiordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 01:37 AM   #38

I have wineguard dish on roof of my rv. Monthly plan from www.dishformyrv.com. Had to buy approx $100 receiver for rv. All work nicely.
Paul3d42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 11:20 PM   #39

I have DIrect TV works great for me have had for over 20 years on all my rigs - use kingdome - enjoy auto setup set it on ground with line of sight plug it it in and good to go ---

Another option if some of you are grandfathered in on the unlimited IPhone plan - and have internet at your home ---Sling Box works awesome - stream all the channel you get at home to you tv in you RV in clear HD where there is cell service of course ---

Att is now offering unlimited plan for $100 with direct tv or 180 unlimited for 4 Lines - this is a great option - just need a internet ready tv or Apple TV box or google stick or fire stick to stream from your iPhone, android

I use about 30-40 gigs a month streaming from my slingbox - so you defiantly need an unlimited plan for this option
Play Harder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite