Old 07-30-2012, 09:28 AM   #1

Scangauge II VS Ecoroute VS Ultragauge

Since I just got a new TV I wanted to add engine monitoring gauges. In my F150 I had an Edge Tuner and it was really good for monitoring engine parameters. For my 2010 F250 I wanted just the monitoring ability without a programmer since I want to keep my warranty for awhile. (Yes, I know about the dealer having to prove the tuner causing the damage, I just didn't want any hassle right now.) I wanted to compare engine monitoring gauges under $200. These are 3 I found: Scangauge, Ecoroute and Ultragauge. There may be more, but these seemed to be the most popular. I didn't look at the torque app since I have an Iphone and it's not compatible.

I compared these products:

Scangauge II ($159.00) ScanGaugeII : Linear Logic - Home of the ScanGauge

Ecoroute ($99.00) https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=38354

Ultragauge ($69.95) UltraGauge Automotive Information Center and OBDII Scan Tool

Initially I was set on getting the Ecoroute because it's compatible with my Garmin GPS. Then I saw the Ultragauge and was impressed at its low price, but to me both of those products weren't really diesel engine friendly. I wanted as a minimum Transmission Temp gauge and neither offered that option. I then started looking at the Scangauge II closer and discovered the ability to customize the gauges. If you use the XGauge function of the Scangauge you can program custom gauges dependent on the vehicle. For my 6.4L it allowed me to add these vehicle specific gauges:

Transmission Fluid Temp
Engine Oil Temperature
Mass Fuel Desired
Exhaust Back Pressure
EGR Valve Position Desired
EGR Throttle Position Signal
Fan Speed Sensor
Gear (which gear the transmission is in)
Intake Air Temp
VGT Duty Cycle
Exhaust Gas Temp (before catalyst)
Exhaust Gas Temp (after catalyst)
Exhaust Gas Temp (after DPF)
Boost (turbo or supercharger)

All 3 gauge sets allow you to monitor an amazing amount of engine parameters. Just to mention a few: Instant MPG, average MPG, Engine Trouble Codes, Engine Coolant Temp, RPM, and some of those in the list above.

All 3 have their goods and bads, but they're more dependent on user preferences then anything else, for example; the Ecoroute requires a Garmin GPS or an Android phone. A plus if you have either, a minus if you don't. You would need to weigh which meets your requirements best. If I had a gas engine I don't think you could go wrong with the Ecoroute or Ultragauge. The Ultragauge is really a good for what you get for such a small price. If you have a diesel I think the Scangauge II is the best bet and that's what I ended up buying. I bought it from Autozone for $159 and got a 10% military discount. I then spent an hour or so yesterday setting it up and customizing the additional gauges it offers for my 6.4. So far, I'm really happy with the Scangauge II.

Hope this helps anyone thinking of adding gauges.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:54 PM   #2

I've been looking the scangauge II but can't seem to get an answer that the trans temp gauge works for 2005 dodge ram CTD 3500

http://www.facebook.com/WestAllisSunshiners
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:15 PM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to scubieman
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike54
I've been looking the scangauge II but can't seem to get an answer that the trans temp gauge works for 2005 dodge ram CTD 3500
No it won't. The engine and trans computer are separate till 2010.

For op I would go with scanguage.

scubieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:43 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubieman View Post
No it won't. The engine and trans computer are separate till 2010.

For op I would go with scanguage.

thanks I'll have find someone to install a trans temp gauge

http://www.facebook.com/WestAllisSunshiners
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:07 AM   #5

I've been experimenting with all the Scanguage gauges. I have a problem when set to MPH, it would show the correct MPH for about 10 seconds and then jump about 10MPH higher for a couple seconds, then back to the correct MPH. I wrote the company yesterday and had a reply within 10 minutes. They knew about the problem with the MPH problems on some vehicles and have corrected the issue it in the latest software. They're sending me an updated version and a pre-paid package to send the old one back. Great customer service!

Bad part is I'll have to program the XGauges again
Old 08-03-2012, 09:20 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len & Cheri View Post

Bad part is I'll have to program the XGauges again
That does take a bit of time, don't it ?? And mess up just 1 digit out of about 40, and that puppy just won't work.

Great that you are getting another ScanGauge out of the deal.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
That does take a bit of time, don't it ?? And mess up just 1 digit out of about 40, and that puppy just won't work.

Great that you are getting another ScanGauge out of the deal.
It's a cool feature, but like you said it can be tedious. I hope the new one has no issues.