Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2014, 11:27 AM   #1

Scissor Jack Install Advice

Hi all,
I have a 2015 Wildwood 26TBSS which has the electric stabilizer jacks in the front and the rear. However, I'm getting lots of shake in the trailer, especially in the back (bunks and bathroom). Drives the kids crazy and annoys me to no end when I'm in the loo.

Here's how I'm currently setting up:

1. Level side to side with 2 x andersen levelers (1 under each low side tire).
2. Chock opposite tires
3. Level front to back with the tongue
4. Bring out the slide (level was compensated in step 1 to end up level after the slide out is extended).
5. X-chock on both sides.

Still a good bit of bounce/wobble, so I'm going to add a pair of scissor jacks to help stabilize (not level).

My question is where I should mount these things. Should they be closer to the axles, or closer to the back of the camper? I can see the case for either choice, but I need some experienced advice.

Thanks.
IchLiebeBier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 01:43 PM   #2

On a previous unit, I just installed them half way between the front and rear stabilizers. It worked well.

Don
dmdrj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 06:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdrj5 View Post
On a previous unit, I just installed them half way between the front and rear stabilizers. It worked well.

Don
Don,
Take a look at the pic and see where the current stabilizers are on my model and how far back the back section goes from the axles. Half-way would put them in front of the axles (which I'd think would be the same on most models). Did that placement work the same for you, and did it actually stop the rocking in the back of the trailer for you?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	26tbss.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	64804  
Old 10-15-2014, 06:42 PM   #4

On my unit which is 35+ feet , I place them just in front of the axles.
It makes a BIG difference in stability
***3rd GENERATION EGG FARMER***
***WHO MADE YOUR EGGS TODAY ?
Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 06:45 PM   #5

As the rear jacks are fairly close to the rear axle I would put a pair right in front of the front axle.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:51 PM   #6

Well that makes 3 folks all saying the same thing.

We're camping in a couple of weeks, so I'll place them there without permanently attaching them to tweek the placement. Then I'll mount them permanently.

Thanks all.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:58 PM   #7

Try placing some 10 inch square boards under each stab jack to broaden the foot print.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:01 AM   #8

Well it looks like people have already answered you, but I agree. Mine were placed just ahead of the axles and coincidentally right under the slide out. It will not eliminate ALL of the movement, but you should see a big difference. Good luck.

Don
Old 10-16-2014, 10:35 AM   #9

Let us know how it works out, I have a 2014 262bhxl and the elec stabilizers seem to be worthless. My dads TT has Manuel and his is so much more stable

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Thekipkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 02:04 PM   #10

Will do.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:48 AM   #11

It occurred to me that if I put these in front of the axles (which is what I plan to do), then one of them will be on the frame under the slide out (not the slide out frame).

Given my routine of leveling and getting the slide out extended before stabilization, I'm going to either need to crawl under the trailer to extend the scissor jack, or use some kind of extension for the crank.

Does anyone know if they make extensions for them? I would need at least a 4' extension to access it from the slide out side, or an 8' extension if I want to mount the extension permanently underneath so I can lower both stabilizers from the same side.

Any thoughts? Order, or make one from rebar or something?

Thanks.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:09 PM   #12

I always leveled mine and made sure I had a solid base BEFORE opening my slideouts. Just my way of doing it.

Don
Old 10-21-2014, 01:25 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdrj5 View Post
I always leveled mine and made sure I had a solid base BEFORE opening my slideouts. Just my way of doing it.

Don
Me, too...the weight of the slide out can make my level go askew.

I haven't tried these, but they may be worth a look, instead of installing jacks:

Universal RV Stabilizer - Valterra 020106 - Stabilizing Jacks - Camping World
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 01:38 PM   #14

I think your main problem is that, from what others are stating, the electric stabilizers aren't capable of exerting enough down force to stabilize. I ordered my current TT without stabs and installed BAL's. I also place a jack stand type stabilizer just in front of the front axle. BAL X chocks as well. It is ROCK solid. I use an 18V DeWalt drill with an adapter to run down the manual stabs. Can do it all in a couple of minutes.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 02:13 PM   #15
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoRick View Post
Me, too...the weight of the slide out can make my level go askew.

I haven't tried these, but they may be worth a look, instead of installing jacks:

Universal RV Stabilizer - Valterra 020106 - Stabilizing Jacks - Camping World
I have one of these that I'm willing to part with if anyone wants to buy it cheap. It didn't do much good for me, but maybe others may have luck.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:23 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I have one of these that I'm willing to part with if anyone wants to buy it cheap. It didn't do much good for me, but maybe others may have luck.

How much with shipping to 43452?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote