Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2012, 07:18 AM   #1
Steve Jackson

Screen House

Do they sell a screen house attachment for trailers with power awnings? My wife wants to buy a screen tent but thought the awning attachment would be better. Any thoughts?
Old 08-02-2012, 07:25 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideout1961
Do they sell a screen house attachment for trailers with power awnings? My wife wants to buy a screen tent but thought the awning attachment would be better. Any thoughts?
I'd like just an extension flap as to just get more shade during the day.
The awning is so high on the camper that unless the camper is facing north and south it provides very little shade during the day.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:39 AM   #3
Steve Jackson

Thanks for the reply Turbo. I was looking for bug protection more than shade. DW wants to bring grandkids camping and some do not care for bugs(yea I know then why bring them, because the DW said so).
Old 08-02-2012, 07:42 AM   #4
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideout1961 View Post
Don't know of a screen house for a power awning due to the arms being articulated. Also, I don't think the arms will support the weight.

They make shade screens for power awnings, but again, you need something to support the awning tube. Voice of experience here. With something to support the tube, the shade screens work great.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:49 AM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideout1961 View Post
Thanks for the reply Turbo. I was looking for bug protection more than shade. DW wants to bring grandkids camping and some do not care for bugs(yea I know then why bring them, because the DW said so).
A cheap screen room from a discounter like "Sportsmansguide" might be a better route for you (it was for me).

Guide Gear Octagonal 13x13' Screen House - 974926, Screens & Canopies at Sportsman's Guide

Eureka! 14 X 12' Hex Screen House - 189538, Screens & Canopies at Sportsman's Guide

Eureka! Breezeway 12 X 12' Screen House - 189539, Screens & Canopies at Sportsman's Guide
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:55 AM   #6
Steve Jackson

Thank Lou, look like the way to go.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:21 AM   #7
Alleged curmudgeon

Crickets...

That's all you hear when this question gets posted. And for good reason, really, which is because "screened rooms" which attach to awnings aren't practical or convenient.

Don't get me wrong, I understand your DW's desire for bug-free environs. In fact, when we were considering moving from a popup to a TT, we searched (and posted here) trying to find a screen room attachment for TT awnings. In the past we had a popup, and the screened room was the one thing which most made PUP camping so workable for us.

However, with regard to TT's, we finally determined that the hassle was not going to be worth it for us on a TT (we were originally looking at an expandable and ended up going with a Windjammer). We decided that the need to manage one's awning much more closely with a TT than with the PUP (to prevent weather damage) just made it impractical. I'm not aware of an any easily detachable options and they don't roll up with an awning. Anyway, we have now learned to camp without the screened room and are truly surprised that we don't miss it.

If you need one, however, Herk's suggestions make the most sense.

Good luck.
Nights camped: 2012 (29); 2013 (26); 2014 (40); 2015 (43); 2016 (35); 2017 (34); 2018 (39); 2019 (30); 2020 (16); 2021 (14); 2022 to date (12)
Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:26 AM   #8
Site Team - Lou

I carry it, but seldom use it.

When ya need it though; ya need it!
Some bugs LIKE DEET.

Better than ringing the campfire with Ack-Ack guns...
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:34 AM   #9
Steve Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern View Post
That's all you hear when this question gets posted. And for good reason, really, which is because "screened rooms" which attach to awnings aren't practical or convenient.

Don't get me wrong, I understand your DW's desire for bug-free environs. In fact, when we were considering moving from a popup to a TT, we searched (and posted here) trying to find a screen room attachment for TT awnings. In the past we had a popup, and the screened room was the one thing which most made PUP camping so workable for us.

However, with regard to TT's, we finally determined that the hassle was not going to be worth it for us on a TT (we were originally looking at an expandable and ended up going with a Windjammer). We decided that the need to manage one's awning much more closely with a TT than with the PUP (to prevent weather damage) just made it impractical. I'm not aware of an any easily detachable options and they don't roll up with an awning. Anyway, we have now learned to camp without the screened room and are truly surprised that we don't miss it.

If you need one, however, Herk's suggestions make the most sense.

Good luck.
Thanks for the response Vern. It's not so much for the wife but for the kids that scream whenever they see a bug and I want to be respectful to my camping neighbors. Me personally, I can live without the screen tent.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:08 PM   #10

Here's another good option. We used this Coleman for 10 days in Colorado this month -- in a campground renowned for its biting flies! It really is as easy to put up as they say!

Coleman Screen Room
mbvell is offline   Reply With Quote