Old 08-16-2014, 10:18 PM   #11

I just mounted a rack on the back wall in the bath. I didn't hear any giant sucking sound when I screwed into it.

I just used regular screws and it looks like it's holding ok for now. Since the wall is paper thin and then Styrofoam, I may have to replace the screws with Molly screws however if the wife gets carried away with loading the little rack.

I want to add some shelves to the sides but not sure how to find the studs without buying one of those expensive stud finder that finds aluminum. I wonder if they work.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:06 PM   #12

industrial strength VELCRO!!

R & S
2010 Georgetown
2012 Honda CRV toad

Old 08-25-2014, 03:00 PM   #13

Although I'm late to this thread, from my sailboat experience -

Foam core with fiberglass skins is a proven method of building a fairly strong structure (much stronger than the fiberglass or foam by itself) at a light weight. The glue bond between foam and fiberglass is critical to the composite structure's strength, which is why a vacuum is pulled during the gluing operation (as others have said).

The strongest attachment methods are

a) through-bolting with good-sized backing plates on both sides to spread the compression load over the thin fiberglass skin. Bolt holes should be caulked/sealed to prevent water intrusion into the foam and/or glue joint.

b) removing gel-coat, and expoxy glueing on a wood (or metal) mount plate to which the accessory is screwed.

Neither method lends itself to being reversed very well - although it is easier to fill empty bolt holes than remove a mounting plate.

just my experiences
Fred W
Old 08-26-2014, 11:34 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post
Although I'm late to this thread, from my sailboat experience -

Foam core with fiberglass skins is a proven method of building a fairly strong structure (much stronger than the fiberglass or foam by itself) at a light weight. The glue bond between foam and fiberglass is critical to the composite structure's strength, which is why a vacuum is pulled during the gluing operation (as others have said).

The strongest attachment methods are

a) through-bolting with good-sized backing plates on both sides to spread the compression load over the thin fiberglass skin. Bolt holes should be caulked/sealed to prevent water intrusion into the foam and/or glue joint.

b) removing gel-coat, and expoxy glueing on a wood (or metal) mount plate to which the accessory is screwed.

Neither method lends itself to being reversed very well - although it is easier to fill empty bolt holes than remove a mounting plate.

just my experiences
Fred W
Thanks for the info. Do you see any issues screwing things (molly screws, etccc) into the thin inside wall of the RV to install a shelf. I can't see how this could possibly do damage to the structual intergrety of the wall? (assuming you don't drill all the way thru to the outside, ha)
Old 08-26-2014, 07:42 PM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

We have used Command Strips for most of light weight items and has worked well. Planning to use a couple of screws and Command Strips for a shelf over the bed.
2015 129 nites
2016 63 nites
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:05 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by elind View Post
We have used Command Strips for most of light weight items and has worked well. Planning to use a couple of screws and Command Strips for a shelf over the bed.
Command strips, thanks. I must admit, I had to look that up as I didn't know what that was but it's a great idea. We have one in the shower holding up a pretty heavy rack of shampoo etc... and has been there for years. Thanks for the tip!
Old 08-31-2014, 10:37 AM   #17

Here's how I added some shelves to a hanging clothes cabinet. It's ok to be critical, I want honest opinions and recommendations as I want to learn from everyone's input.

RV Shelve Project - YouTube
Old 09-08-2014, 06:18 PM   #18
2014 XLR 27HFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
... not sure how to find the studs without buying one of those expensive stud finder that finds aluminum. I wonder if they work.
Push on the wall with your thumb. It will not give where there are studs. Just take a look around it when you find one to make sure it isn't a pipe or electrical behind it.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:12 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave961 View Post
Push on the wall with your thumb. It will not give where there are studs. Just take a look around it when you find one to make sure it isn't a pipe or electrical behind it.
unfortunately, that doesn't work on my type of wall which has foam behind the wall so it's all hard. plywood, foam core and fiberglass outside.
Old 01-19-2015, 11:23 AM   #20
2016 Avenger 26BH

Hi you may want to have at a look this thread "Salem Cruise Lite 195BH TV mount"

there are a few ideas on how to solve your concerns.