Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2016, 10:59 AM   #1

Sealing air conditioner duct

Last week I read a lengthy post with lots of photos where someone had taken the grill of their A/C unit off to inspect how the ceiling ducts were attached. They found that there was literally no sealing material of any kind where this duct work met the A/C unit. Two days ago I took the grill off of mine and discovered the same thing, no sealing material of any kind. This allowed cold air to blow up into what one may call the attic of the TT, a '15 Coachmen Freedom Express 310 BHDS. I also found that at the ends of each duct run there seemed to be no end. I removed the registers at the ends of each run, ran an electricians fish tape up into the duct work and I could extend it a distance almost equal to the end walls of the camper. I also removed the metal plate that the hold-down bolts for the A/C go through and found that the metal baffle which is to prevent cold air from returning right back into the return air had a 1/2" gap in it. I had to adjust this plate to seal off between the incoming and outgoing air and secure the baffle in place. I took photos but only one came out viewable which is as I found the duct work where it meets the A/C unit. More photos today to share later.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160819_125043728.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	117975  
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 08:44 PM   #2

More sealing of A/C ducting

I spent the better part of the day insulating the gaps between the top of the ceiling material and the bottom of the A/C duct at each of six (6) registers in the camper. The gaps between these materials was absolutely pathetic. Cooled air was going not going into the registers, just going into the gaps which sent the air into the attic area. I have no wish to cool the attic area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	big gap.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	196.2 KB
ID:	118043   Click image for larger version

Name:	insulation added.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	118044   Click image for larger version

Name:	rear bunk insulation.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	182.0 KB
ID:	118045   Click image for larger version

Name:	rear bunk tape.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	188.4 KB
ID:	118046   Click image for larger version

Name:	pipe insulation.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	200.8 KB
ID:	118047  

Old 08-22-2016, 10:57 AM   #3
Site Team

Good job and thanks a ton for the pics. I guess we're all going to have to double check our units for A/C leaks and insulation.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:33 PM   #4

I shared this info with a friend of mine who has a Jayco TT. He pulled the grill of his A/C and found gaps between his cold air outlet and the duct work. So it's not only an FT problem

Old 08-24-2016, 08:37 PM   #5

In the long run this will make a difference in your overall comfort good job
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:55 PM   #6

If you can access the back side of your gas heating unit you may find flimsy flexible heat ducts stapled to the duct work, big source of heat loss...better buy another roll of silver cold weather tape.

Also remove the kitchen stove vent if yours goes thru an exterior wall. You might be surprised to see how much moist air is being pushed into the wall cavity. Sometimes you can seal it with caulk, but keep the tape handy just in case.

He who dies with the most tools, wins!
SilhouettePenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 09:08 PM   #7

Following this as I have a 292bhds.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2017 Coachmen 292BHDS
2017 Ram 2500 Mega Cab Cummins 4x4
jbhodj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 09:20 PM   #8

Could you reference the post you read about checking all this duct work? Thanks for sharing as well!! This is an easy project to do which for me is good

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2017 Coachmen 292BHDS
2017 Ram 2500 Mega Cab Cummins 4x4
jbhodj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 08:47 AM   #9

SilhouettePenny: Thanks for that info. After the A/C fiasco I will definitely look into the heating ducts even though in my area of S.W. Ga. heat would be seldom used. At this point I do know that they are the clear type very thin flexible ducts. In the past I have used some 4" flex duct that comes with fiberglass insulation made onto it and I know where to get it, will use that.
jbhodj: I found the original post on this forum somewhere, I know I did. I even showed the post and photos to my g'friend and she remembers seeing it. I have looked again but have not found it. The post was rather long with a lot of good photos of that individual's findings and solutions. As I stated in post #4 a friend of mine found this same problem in his '16 Jayco unit. He also states that he could tell a significant increase in air flow by sealing up the duct work where it meets the A/C unit. How much cooled air is being lost in all the units out there with poor attempts at sealing up this area, or worse not sealing it at all?

Tags
air conditioner