Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2011, 06:53 AM   #1

Seeking Bathroom shelving...

We have a 2012 Roo 233S.

I want to add some sort of shelving/cabinet in the bathroom behind and/or along the toilet. Ideally I'd want something that doesn't allow the shelf's contents to bounce on to the floor while we are towing.

We have ~20"x36" space behind and a ~25"x36" space on the adjacent wall.

Any suggestions?
BackInAction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:37 AM   #2

Interestingly, during price-trade negotiations of our last RV purchase I'd mentioned shelving and cabinet doors I'd made. Subsequently, the salesperson, his manager and the general manager requested we bring the RV in before any trade was made. I don’t blame these folks at all and graciously accepted the offer.

Although my work is impeccable, meaning the cabinets and shelving additions are properly jointed and actually better finished and hung than those from the factory, I’ve seen what some people did. The cliché: “Beauty is in the eye of the beholder,” is perfect. Some RV’s I’ve seen were fixed to death by owners unknown.

Nevertheless, perhaps purchased cabinets, custom made ones by you or others, or even shelves similar to spice racks might be of value? And, a simple bungee system holding your stuff may work-- along with non-slip surfaces.

Another trick we’ve found while traveling: slow down. RV’n on Alaska’s frost heaves necessitated restraint. Those who didn’t heed this advice, given by many who’ve been there before, broke axels, lost complete cabinets, broke dishes and so on.

Anyway, that’s a bit of lore.

Mike
traveler2955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:38 AM   #3

For the inexpensive route, In our Bathroom, I used several metal corner shelves from IKEA ($4 ea) and affixed them to the wall using small drywall molly bolts. They have a lip that keeps out hnad towles, wash clothes, wife's cosmatics, etc etc. from shifting and spilling, see below

BLANKEN Corner wall shelf - IKEA

I also used over the door hooks to hand shower towels and bolted several aluminum hooks around the shower to hang items to dry.

If you want something enclosed, look around for light weight corner cabinets, they will take up less space than a flat wall cabinet
Old 09-22-2011, 12:40 PM   #4

We went with something like this from Wal-Mart. Bronze to match the rest of the hardware in our Tracer 3150BHD. Hung over the toilet and gave a place to hang hand towels in the bathroom. Still need to be creative to keep things from falling, but it looks nice IMO. Made by Better Homes and Gardens.

Bronze Wall Shelf, Rubbed - Walmart.com
Old 09-22-2011, 05:44 PM   #5

I put a regular towel rack above the toilet as well as an over the door hook (inside and outside the door) and a toilet roll holder on the door. In the shower I put one of these Walmart.com: Marin 3 shelf Hotel Bath Tension Pole Caddy: Furniture - spring loaded so no tools/holes needed and it works well and after a couple of trips it's staying in place just fine.

I get a sailing magazine and have now started studying how sailboats deal with these issues of storage and keeping things in place on the move...nets seem to be very popular, like cargo / bunji nets over shelves or used like a small hammock.

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote