Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2012, 10:46 AM   #21
Mod free 5er

Right side complete, now to wait on the sun go to the other side of the camper so I can start on the left side. Front ones are the challenge getting a wrench down inside the tubes to hold the bolts/nuts. Ended up inserting a box end 9/16" inside a pc of thin tubing and smashing the end down around the wrench. Once that was done then the problem is finding the bolt with the wrench inside a 2x2 tube. After about 5 minutes, success.

Have attached a picture of what the brake wire routing is after taping the insulating sleeve back together. Would be a good thing for everyone to inspect as this trailer is only 4 months old and came from the factory with the wires rubbing the inside hub. Not good for Alko's reputation.

p.s. I do still have some tools left in the garage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01048.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	14220   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01049.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	14221   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01050.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	14222  
Old 05-21-2012, 05:25 PM   #22
Mod free 5er

Left side is going to have to be a different setup. The shaft for the slide out prevents mounting the shock perfectly vertical like the rh side. The left shocks will be mounted on 25degree angle from vertical to get the necessary travel. Don't believe this will have much effect on the dampening affect.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:48 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
Right side complete, now to wait on the sun go to the other side of the camper so I can start on the left side. Front ones are the challenge getting a wrench down inside the tubes to hold the bolts/nuts. Ended up inserting a box end 9/16" inside a pc of thin tubing and smashing the end down around the wrench. Once that was done then the problem is finding the bolt with the wrench inside a 2x2 tube. After about 5 minutes, success.

Have attached a picture of what the brake wire routing is after taping the insulating sleeve back together. Would be a good thing for everyone to inspect as this trailer is only 4 months old and came from the factory with the wires rubbing the inside hub. Not good for Alko's reputation.

p.s. I do still have some tools left in the garage.
Dont feal alone,every job I tackel takes EVERY tool I own! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:07 AM   #24
Mod free 5er

Left rear complete, left front to go, but the sun is up and it's too hot to mess with it. Maybe another hr's work and this little project will be finished. Will take pictures of the left front.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:11 AM   #25
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I as well think this project is headed in the right direction!
Looks superb in my opinion. And I believe this mod will get a lot of the suspension issues your experiencing well under control.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:28 AM   #26
Mod free 5er

My only objective of the whole project is to see if it will reduce or eliminate the "porpoising/dolphing" which seems to be inheritant with 5vers more so that tongue trailers. It really isn't any worse than with the tongue trailer on a wavy highway and I wanted to do it on the tongue trailer, but just was too lazy. Glad I held off. If all the brackets, etc. were made, the whole project could be done in around 8 hrs, which is not bad, 2 hrs/wheel. I am also filling the hub cavities with Lucas Red "N" Tacky #2 Lithium grease with a 540degree drop point, so I should be set for travel this winter.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:02 AM   #27
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Did you see this?
http://www.shockwarehouse.com/site/mon_retrokit.cfm

http://www.monroeheavyduty.com/produ...rofit_kits.asp
Old 05-22-2012, 11:23 AM   #28
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Yes, even emailed them for a kit for an Alko axle and they don't have one. Would have loved to get a factory kit as opposed to designing and fabricating the 8 brackets. Oh well, just about finished. If anyone is interested, I will save the patterns.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:31 AM   #29
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc

Yes, even emailed them for a kit for an Alko axle and they don't have one. Would have loved to get a factory kit as opposed to designing and fabricating the 8 brackets. Oh well, just about finished. If anyone is interested, I will save the patterns.
Mine has leafs. Looking into Monroe kit. I think I'll wait a few days approximately about the time you road trip yours to be exact!
I think you'll be satisfied.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:03 PM   #30
Mod free 5er

JOB COMPLETE! Of course the last one was the easiest, would have been done earlier, but the sun and 80d make old people perspire which we don't like to do. Pictures in the album. Now, to make a the test run maybe tomorrow if I feel ambitious, if not, it will be in a couple of weeks as both of our boys will be here this weekend. One from a job site in PA and the other from his home in Lonoke, AR. First time in over a yr that we will all be together again. World of Outlaws Sprint Car races on the Dirt Track in Concord Fri night with the oldest.

Forest River Forums - dunnnc's Album: Adding shock absorbers to Alko torsion axles
Old 05-22-2012, 03:18 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

dunnnc, that is a lot of work. The photos are great. Anxious to hear how the maiden voyage goes.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:15 PM   #32
Mod free 5er

We took it out for about a 30 mile trial run and the DW said without prompting, "Boy this is sure better than when we brought it home from the dealer". The "porpoising/dophining" is greatly reduced, it may bounce once on a bump, but it stops immediatedly. If there are several waves in the highway, it will follow the contour of the road and once you are thru the wavy portion, the trailer immediately stops. Also tried a little side to side motion and it has no tendency to continue, once you stop weaving, the trailer stops. It really trails nicely. Even tho' this was only about a 30 mile trial, we were both impressed with how much smoother it was than before and with the tongue trailer. So, all in all, I think it was worth the $175 invested in 4 shocks, the gr 8 hardware and the 2+ days labor making brackets, etc. Would I do it again? Sure would, but if we happen to trade, I will sure remove everything and install them on the new one. We just don't plan on trading within the next 5 yrs if we make it that long without one of us croaking. Now we are going to
Old 05-23-2012, 02:23 PM   #33
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I knew it would help!
Old 05-24-2012, 09:32 AM   #34
Mod free 5er

Very satisfied with the results. FR should make some provisions for adding them as it would be very simple to move the slidle mechanisms out about 2" and there would be plenty of room for installation of shocks if the owner wanted to add them.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:01 AM   #35
Tee

Too bad this kit isn't available anymore!

Scamp - Mod - S19 shock absorbers - a set on Flickr
Tee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:13 AM   #36
Mod free 5er

I considered a lower plate like in the kit, but didn't want to make the 8 U bolts. It would have made it a lot easier to get more travel on the driver's side.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:56 AM   #37
Mod free 5er

Going to give the shocks a longer test in about an hour as we are going to the Thousand Trails Forest Lake cg about 75 miles north and will be on all sorts of highways that run the full gamit of conditions.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:52 AM   #38

And no doubt they will perform flawlessly.
Excelent job duunnc.
DonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 11:32 AM   #39
Tee

Looking forward to a longer trip report
Tee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 02:12 PM   #40
Mod free 5er

Well, we made the trip and can say I was not disappointed, the shocks sure do make the trailer follow the road contour as far as the waves/swales, etc. They eliminate any continuation of the bounce that was evident before. If the road has more than one wave/swale, the trailer matches it and the trailer shocks seem to minimize the effect it has on the truck. So far, unless something breaks, etc. I am very pleased with the results. Just wish I had done it to our 831RLSS tt 5 yrs ago when we towed across I 10 from Houston to Daytona.

Tags
axle