Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2012, 01:06 PM   #41

Great idea and write up! Several years ago I considered adding shocks to ours, but the lack of a complete kit detered me.

I do have a question for you. It appears the shocks/brackets are adjacent to the frame. When we turn sharply, there is quite a bit of flex from the tires/wheels. Have you noticed any contact/damage to the shocks from contacting the mounting bracket or frame?

I hope I asked this in a way that the question was understood.

Glenn & Beth (Dad & Mom)
David & Audra (16 year old twins)
2006 Dodge Power Wagon (Adventure & Tow Vehicle)
2006 Rockwood 8281SS (Home away from Home)
Glenn5995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:13 PM   #42
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn5995 View Post
Great idea and write up! Several years ago I considered adding shocks to ours, but the lack of a complete kit detered me.

I do have a question for you. It appears the shocks/brackets are adjacent to the frame. When we turn sharply, there is quite a bit of flex from the tires/wheels. Have you noticed any contact/damage to the shocks from contacting the mounting bracket or frame?

I hope I asked this in a way that the question was understood.
The tires flex from the wheels to the ground, the clearance between the shock and the tire does not change. We got in some pretty severe turns towing from Concord, NC to just sw of Orlando, FL and the shocks, etc do not have a mark on them. IMO, the shocks sure make our trailer a dream to tow. Been towing rv & race car trailers since 1975 and this is the best towing trailer I have ever towed.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:11 AM   #43

New to the forum but just recently bought a FR Flagstaff and I want to install shocks on the Tor-Flex axles. Why or why not? I've got 35 years experience teaching automotive. Why shocks?? All suspensions will oscillate after hitting a bump. The Tor-Flex may dampen some of that motion but Chrysler (torsion bar) still used shocks on all their vehicles. Just because most trailers don't come with shocks is no reason to not have them.
Dunnac, Nice work on the shocks but I won't have the vertical room so I may have to mount horizontal and incorporate some sort of lever system.
TeJay
TeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:15 AM   #44
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
New to the forum but just recently bought a FR Flagstaff and I want to install shocks on the Tor-Flex axles. Why or why not? I've got 35 years experience teaching automotive. Why shocks?? All suspensions will oscillate after hitting a bump. The Tor-Flex may dampen some of that motion but Chrysler (torsion bar) still used shocks on all their vehicles. Just because most trailers don't come with shocks is no reason to not have them.
Dunnac, Nice work on the shocks but I won't have the vertical room so I may have to mount horizontal and incorporate some sort of lever system.
TeJay
Why would your's be much different than mine? I have a design that does not require removing the brake backing bolts which had I been thinking (rarely do that) would have been a much simpler installation.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:12 PM   #45

dunnnc,
OK let me back up a bit. We first bought a North Trail by Heartland. We had it a year and the wife decided we needed more room. We got a FR Flagstaff. Great unit with everything we needed or wanted. We took our first trip to my 50th class reunion this summer and on our way back we got gas at a Pilot station. On the way out a dump truck totaled the TT. Thirty days later all $$$ was settled and we ordered the same unit. We have not had it long enough for me to evaluate the space needed to install shocks. I have looked briefly and there does not appear to be enough vertical room as what I saw on your post #21. I will check again and contact you because you seem to have a good handle on how to do it. I did install shocks on the NT and it worked great. The Monroe web page has some info regarding shocks on a Flex axle. I'll contact them when I'm ready. What shock did you use???
TeJay
Old 11-22-2012, 04:40 PM   #46

dunnnc,
Reread this thread and noticed that you already listed the shocks that you used. Since they worked so well I'm assuming that the PT Cruiser shock had the correct weight capacity for your 5ver.
It's refreshing to read about somebody that agrees with me regarding shocks. It blows my mind to post on a forum and then somebody tells you that they had shocks, took them off and can't tell the difference. Or trailers would come from the factory with shocks if they really needed them.
Thanks for all the great pics. After we finish building the kitchen cabinets over Xmas I'll start on the shocks.
We live in NW AR, Lowell. Didn't recognize the town that you said your Son lives.

TeJay
Old 11-23-2012, 07:38 PM   #47

Quote:
dunnnc,
It's refreshing to read about somebody that agrees with me regarding shocks. It blows my mind to post on a forum and then somebody tells you that they had shocks, took them off and can't tell the difference. Or trailers would come from the factory with shocks if they really needed them.
TeJay
I agree!

High end Airstreams come with shocks from the factory. Everybody knows what they are best at... TOWING! (the shape helps a lot and... surprise! SHOCKS - yes, on torsion suspension to boot).

That being said, I haven't got around to putting shocks on my rig yet (would like to though...)

BTW, my brother did have shocks added to his leaf spring type suspension on his TT (I should say the dealer did). I've had a chance to drive his setup and it tows really nice!

happy camping,

shineysideup
shineysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:57 PM   #48

Wow !!!!! Two people agree with me regarding shocks. That's amazing. I have posted on another forum regarding this issue and usually get a little static. Most everyone is very nice about it but most don't agree. It is my feeling that campers came out as an offshoot of the boat industry and we know that boat trailers don't have shocks. Most also don't have brakes like trailers. Yes, the larger and heavier boat rigs probably have brakes but not shocks. After 35 years teaching automotive and that included alignment and suspension I couldn't believe our first TT didn't have shocks. The thought actually never occurred me. I was also advised by the dealer that I shouldn't install them because they would probably break. Well I installed them and was pleased. The new Flagstaff has the Tor-Flex axle by Dexter. I contacted tech support at Dexter and they told me that shocks can go on Tor-Flex axles and Airstream did or does it now.

dunnnc has done a very nice job with his set up so when things settle down around here I'll start on it.

TaJay
Old 11-24-2012, 07:21 AM   #49
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
dunnnc,
The Monroe web page has some info regarding shocks on a Flex axle. I'll contact them when I'm ready. What shock did you use???
TeJay
FYI, I have contacted Monroe about their refit kits and all I got back was the kits have been discontinued and we are in the process of removing the info from our site. All I wanted to know was what was included in the kit. Pretty useless company IMO.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:48 AM   #50

Great job on the shock install. And you put them vertical which allows them to work. I've seen pics of shocks installed almost horizontal which would probably do nothing.
saskrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:11 PM   #51
Incheon, S. Korea

Thanks for the pics.
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:55 AM   #52
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskrick View Post
Great job on the shock install. And you put them vertical which allows them to work. I've seen pics of shocks installed almost horizontal which would probably do nothing.
Only vertical on the curb side, had to tilt them on 45° due to slide out mechanism on the driver side, which positions them just about 90° to the spindle arm. Thinking seriously of moving the curb side brackets the same, but can't see any difference in the way the trailer handles.

Tags
axle