Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2013, 04:35 PM   #1
Explorer

Sink cutting boards and counter extension

Two more Mods off my list
Kitchen sink covers out of Corian: gives stable counter space, cutting boards and looks better.
Counter extension out of the same Corian: 20x13 (may build another 10x8 to go in space above kitchen draws)
I should start with I have never worked with Corian and while I have many wood working tools, I do not consider myself a great woodworker. That said, this was an easy project with the tools I have; there was a short learning curve.
I chose Corian as a material for its looks and durability. I have Corian counter tops in my house and have been using the same Corian cutting board for over 15yrs. My home cutting board is great never having any knife gouges and doesn’t seem to dull knives.
Cost:
$40 for Corian = Sink Covers, Counter Extension plus a few extra feet (I was able to find extra pieces on Craigslist; might be able to dumpster-dive behind a local dealer, ask first)
$22 for Table extension Brackets (could not find at Lows, Home Depot or ACE I had to go to a nice lumber yard Southern Lumber)(I did find on-line even at Lows OnLine but I still like to support local stores)
Tools: jigsaw w/hardwood blade, table router w/cutter bit and ¼ round bit, palm sander w/100 150 220, scotch bright pads green and red, cordless drill
Getting it done:
The sink came with cheapy covers so I had good templates. First out I drew out pattern on material and cut with a jigsaw w/hardwood blade. This looked ruff and supper tough to do the corner radius. I tried a scrolling blade and that one wouldn’t stay vertically true(learning curve). I finished with the router.
So the easy way:
1. I cut material to easy working size with jigsaw
2. taped(double sided) template to material and cut out with router cutting blade
3. Drilled out finger hole with drill press and 1’’ hole saw, half way from one side and finished from the other to prevent fractured edge(no finger hole on counter extension)
4. Routed w/ ¼ round bit the finger hole and edges (I didn’t want a ¼ ‘’ radius edge so I used a 1’’ radius router bit but took a little setting up). I think you need to round off the edges to prevent easily chipping.
5. Sand bottom side of Corian, yep another learning curve, material only comes with one finished side(at least the product I have) so if you want both sides polished it takes a little work .
6. Sanded edges, finger holes and any scratches on top side
7. Buff/polish with scotch pads(I read about micro-buffing pads for a mirrored-ish finish)
8. Bracket installation: Took some extra time to align brackets together. Carefully drill correct size holes in material if not the material will crack/shatter installing screws(I used extra corian material to test). Material is heavy-ish and will be bouncing down the road so I added double sided hurricane tape between bracket and corian. I thought about epoxy in the screw holes and still might. I installed two brackets and this may make it more cumbersome to take down but I made a large counter. Distributing the load between two seemed smart and more stable, plus they sold these brackets in pairs.
9. I added a top and bottom ¾ x 2 cross members(material I had handy) to the inside of cabinet for added strength. Cabinets are only 1/8’’ facial board with no cross members in this area so I thought it was needed.
Added notes: The top and bottom of Corian is distinguishably different in their pattern even after polishing(bigger flakes more color on top surface, in the product I got).
That’s another, should have only been, 4hr job that really took 10-ish hours .
This project should last for the life of the camper and I think it looks good.
Going crabbing out of HalfMoon Bay next weekend so we’ll get a short trial run. Crabbing is slow this time of year but it will be nice to get out, probably do a little sand dab fishing and have fish tacos one night. Well I better get the garage cleaned up before the wife gets home.
John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CorianSinkCounterExD_web.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	23900   Click image for larger version

Name:	CorianSinkCounExU_web.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	23901   Click image for larger version

Name:	CorianSinkCovers_web.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	23902   Click image for larger version

Name:	CorianCompare_web.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	23903  
YoungKopernik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:51 PM   #2
Graduate Member

Marking this so I can do this in mine. Excellent idea and walk thru on the steps!

thanks
2012 - 26 days

RoadTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:21 PM   #3

You do very nice work!
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:25 PM   #4

Just picked-up a stainless steel sink to replace the factory plastic. Also had a piece of Corian cut to act as a side splash-guard, as our couch butts up to the counter, right next to the sink (4" or 5" of counter between sink and couch). Really like your Corian sink covers..... may steal that idea!

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB
2022 Ford Ranger toad
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:49 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

looks good man !

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:50 PM   #6
Don't Camp Enough

Nicely done!

DSMURPHY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:11 PM   #7

This may sound strange..but our Sabre 5ver has a Corian (like) solid surface countertop and the sink came with sink cutting boards made of the same material. After several uses, my wife requested that I do your project in "Reverse". Just to heavy to move around!

So we actually purchased oversized polyethlene cutting boards from Target and cut then to fit the sink. They are just as usable and much lighter to move around and store.

It looks like our sinks are the same size. Too bad! We could have done a swap and saved ourselves some effort!
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:56 AM   #8
Explorer

Thanks to all who give feed back; there is a nice group of people/campers here who truly want to help each other. There is a ton of info on this sight and am glad I found it; I kind of find it addicting to see what others are doing and get new ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimchaSabre View Post
This may sound strange..but our Sabre 5ver has a Corian (like) solid surface countertop and the sink came with sink cutting boards made of the same material. After several uses, my wife requested that I do your project in "Reverse". Just to heavy to move around!

So we actually purchased oversized polyethlene cutting boards from Target and cut then to fit the sink. They are just as usable and much lighter to move around and store.

It looks like our sinks are the same size. Too bad! We could have done a swap and saved ourselves some effort!
Yes, I agree the material is heavy for its size and I am hoping that will help, for the sink. The covers that came off of this camper’s sink were extremely wimpy and light weight and would move/slip when I'ld use them for counter space. In our last camper we had white cutting board material sink covers but they kept getting cut gouges that were tough to keep clean, but I loved the idea of those cutting boards and it inspired me to do this project. I am hoping the extra weight, rigidity and thicker material will help it be more stable and it appears so, but no real use yet. As well, perform like the Corian cutting board in my house, 15 plus years and hardly any wear.
As for the counter extension I really wanted the matching material and larger surface area then CampingWorld sells. I hope the weight of the product does not become an issue bouncing down the road. I should add that the bracing I added inside the cabinet is a must, it took all the sponginess out it’s a very nice ridged counter now.
I am definitely going to watch for problems and if I see any issues I will repost. It’s a new toy we’ll just have to see how it does.
Thanks all, I have to go pack a camper and boat(sorry, I know it’s not nice to brag)
John
Old 02-06-2013, 07:25 PM   #9

I see what your getting at with the weight. In our case the sink covers are flush with the counter so they don't move much, but our previous camper had exactly your situation.

In the end, we will all do all of those little modificatiosn that we need and want in order to make the camper our own. To me that is all part of the fun experience. And we are glad that we have a forum like this to share them with.
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:25 PM   #10

About those brackets.....

Looks Awesome! Could you please put up a pic of the brackets you used for the fold down extension?

We ordered our trailer without the extension. However they installed the brackets on the end of the cupboard. A table/shelf for use on the outside of the camper WAS included. We will never use it.

So I figured if I can change the bracket on that table I could use it inside as the extension. Suspect it is exactly the same - just with different hardware. Maybe someone has the extension and can show me what the hardware on it looks like.

Thanks!
QuietTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:52 PM   #11
Explorer

up date

The counter extension was fantastic and the cutting/covers did what I had hopped; I am pleased and even more the wife liked it, kids said it was OK too. The only issue comes with the color choice for the cutting boards the dark Corian did show minor dulling of the finish. I can always buff it out if I feel the need.
Had a great trip fresh crab and fresh mussels(bonus) shared with good friends. There just happened to be a supper low tide allowing the girls to pick threw the tide pools and they found a beautiful octopus a few interesting colorful nudibranch, all kinds of starfish and just a bunch of other cool stuff.
Camping is good
Added some bracket pics for QuietTimes, the way these work is: pull fully up and the two moving arms align move down slightly to lock together, then to fold down lift up slightly to unlock bump at the pivot point and fold it down.
There is another style with a spring(I had before) they auto lock up a little smoother, but you still have to bump at pivot point to release back down.
Attached Images

Old 02-16-2013, 03:43 PM   #12

Hey YK - thanks! What a nice job. We will have to look for those brackets. I can see they would give good support.
QuietTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:33 PM   #13

I have a question; what keeps the sink covers in place? Do they fit in a recess or did you put a couple of "blocks" in place to keep them positioned?
Inquiring mind needs to know....
2014 Ford Lariat Supercrew, Ecoboost 3.73 gears
Bruce and Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:35 PM   #14
Denver, CO

Awesome job
Old 02-24-2013, 08:35 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce and Lynn View Post
I have a question; what keeps the sink covers in place? Do they fit in a recess or did you put a couple of "blocks" in place to keep them positioned?
mine has little adjustable rubber things that "hold" against the sink.
bigt1739 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:37 PM   #16
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce and Lynn View Post
The sink has a recess lip and even more it is odd-shaped/keyed. In my last camper I had a rectangular double sink(had a center member) and one cutting-board/cover, by its self, would slide and I added a stop-block to go against the center member of the sink.
Had this sink not had a recess edge or be keyed I would have tried beveling the bottom side of the sink covers to keep them in place.
Good luck,
evey project has issues, its fun to solve'em; always love a good project

Old 04-29-2013, 09:30 PM   #17

looks great.
bama gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:48 PM   #18
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

MY sabre has the folding extension and she loves it when cooking !

looks good !

TURBS
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote