Old 08-26-2012, 10:48 PM   #21

As for painting the skylight, I would be afraid of the paint affecting the plastic and possibly making the dome brittle, and thus more susceptible to hail damage.
And mods that take away from the attractiveness and originality of the camper would be a last resort. One never knows when they might see that "must have" upgraded fifth wheel!

And funny thing is, I haven't really seen the need to mess with the skylight. We have camped in some pretty hot weather, and the added heat from the skylight isn't an issue. But we haven't camped in Arizona in July either!

Old 08-26-2012, 10:54 PM   #22
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post
As for painting the skylight, I would be afraid of the paint affecting the plastic and possibly making the dome brittle, and thus more susceptible to hail damage.
And mods that take away from the attractiveness and originality of the camper would be a last resort. One never knows when they might see that "must have" upgraded fifth wheel!

And funny thing is, I haven't really seen the need to mess with the skylight. We have camped in some pretty hot weather, and the added heat from the skylight isn't an issue. But we haven't camped in Arizona in July either!
Wasn't going to paint the skylight, just the cover and would mask to skylight to prevent getting paint on it. As for it being detracting feature, I could care less what other people think, if they can even see it, I will remove it when we trade it. The heat is significant in the bathroom until I get another ac vent installed.

Old 08-26-2012, 11:02 PM   #23

golfmedic painted his.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:18 AM   #24
Got mtn bike?

Here in the deep south.. There was so much sunlight and heat being allowed in my bathroom, that I had to do something. Even running a solar power fan blowing air out the rear vent wasn't enough.
But then when it's over 100 degrees outside, it's going to be hotter inside since the fan was pulling the hot outside air in.
But the temp inside did drop a degree or two after I stopped the direct sunlight from shinning in the bathroom.
ddavis662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:23 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post
golfmedic painted his.
Yes I did and really enjoyed camping this weekend due to lower inside temps! Another thing that I didn't like about the skylight is how they 'yellow' and get very dingy looking(and brittle) . My FIL's camper is only 7 years old and the skylight is ugly. I was also hoping that painting it would keep that from happening as well. But , for now, I am extremely happy with painting mine.
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:34 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
The cover is aluminum. I used it for 3 purposes, 1. Reduce heat, 2. Reduce light, 3. Protect skylight from hail, etc.

What I was referring to was how much hail can the plastic skylight take. I guess I try to get a shady site so the need to shield the skylight is not that important to me, now. May be if I camp in sunny spots. My hope would be that the manufacturer wouldn't put an inferior plastic cover on the roof. Would they?
Old 08-27-2012, 09:48 PM   #27
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timex View Post
What I was referring to was how much hail can the plastic skylight take. I guess I try to get a shady site so the need to shield the skylight is not that important to me, now. May be if I camp in sunny spots. My hope would be that the manufacturer wouldn't put an inferior plastic cover on the roof. Would they?
Hard question to answer. I would imagine it depends on the age and the amount of uv deterioration and just how big the hail stones are and the force with which they fall.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:29 PM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmedik View Post
Yes I did and really enjoyed camping this weekend due to lower inside temps! Another thing that I didn't like about the skylight is how they 'yellow' and get very dingy looking(and brittle) . My FIL's camper is only 7 years old and the skylight is ugly. I was also hoping that painting it would keep that from happening as well. But , for now, I am extremely happy with painting mine.
It gets dingy fast here in SoCal. At 18 months my skylight was already looking dated. It still looks good from the inside which matter more I guess. Everything else is in new image condition.

Please keep us updated on how painting it holds up. I'm considering it but now right now.

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:53 PM   #29
10x

I used dark window film from the inside, I double filmed it for the Limo effect.
It works great and gives you just the right amount of light. I live in FL.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:00 PM   #30
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10x View Post
I used dark window film from the inside, I double filmed it for the Limo effect.
It works great and gives you just the right amount of light. I live in FL.
I thought about using the window film and was concerned that the film would create more heat on the dome itself and accelerate it's deterioration. That's why I made the cover for the outside and then the solid alum access panel in the top. The solid panel blocks the sun's rays from hitting the dome and also protects it from hail, etc. and having perforated sides, it still lets in quite a bit of light.