Old 04-22-2016, 01:31 PM   #1

Slide Seal Flap "Flappers"

Call me picky, but I've always hated it when extending and retracting my slides the seal "flap" didn't "flap" the way it was supposed too. Carried a piece of dowel rod to stick under the seal and slip it out to the correct orientation.
Saw this done on a unit that another member had problems with, and dealer used some short pieces of moulding .
I bought some Cowles Body Trim on Amazon, T3402C. Black, 5/8" wide X 1/4" thick. Applied it to the 3 slides on my Lexi. Works perfectly. Now, when slides in or out, the seal flap contacts the strip, causing it to orient the correct way. Got it on Amazon as they carried 14' lengths in black, as opposed to the chrome stuff in auto stores.
Just a simple fix for a problem that was bugging me.
Grumpy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.JPG
Views:	735
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	105737   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.JPG
Views:	635
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	105738   Click image for larger version

Name:	003.JPG
Views:	640
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	105739  

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 01:56 PM   #2

My dealer did similar to my slide.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1461351384.354889.jpg
Views:	694
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	105740

2015 Legacy RB, 2013 CRV toad. Retired USAF. Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Old 04-22-2016, 02:19 PM   #3

I have been going through the same thing. Thank you for your post! It is very well written and the pictures are excellent.
Old 04-22-2016, 02:56 PM   #4

Dr Jag, yours was the one I was referring to. Couldn't remember which member had posted the photo.
I just took it a step further, using the longer trim, and in black.
I keep my slide rubbers well treated with 303, monthly, and they are very flexible. Still, at times, they would refuse to orient themselves correctly.
This took care of it.
Grumpy

Old 04-22-2016, 03:37 PM   #5

Mine were finicky too. Sometimes they would flip and sometimes they wouldn't. This does fix the problem. Glad my other post helped you out. I know I learn a lot on this forum.

2015 Legacy RB, 2013 CRV toad. Retired USAF. Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 04-22-2016, 04:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy0374 View Post
Call me picky, but I've always hated it when extending and retracting my slides the seal "flap" didn't "flap" the way it was supposed too. Carried a piece of dowel rod to stick under the seal and slip it out to the correct orientation.
Saw this done on a unit that another member had problems with, and dealer used some short pieces of moulding .
I bought some Cowles Body Trim on Amazon, T3402C. Black, 5/8" wide X 1/4" thick. Applied it to the 3 slides on my Lexi. Works perfectly. Now, when slides in or out, the seal flap contacts the strip, causing it to orient the correct way. Got it on Amazon as they carried 14' lengths in black, as opposed to the chrome stuff in auto stores.
Just a simple fix for a problem that was bugging me.
Grumpy
What is the measurement from the outer slide edge to where you placed the mouldings?
Old 04-22-2016, 04:45 PM   #7

On my Lexi I just ran them down the center. The strips than contact both the inner and outer seal flaps when slide runs in and out. To be honest, I just "eyeballed" it as far as placement.
I imagine each slide/rig is a bit different, but just running it down the middle would probably suffice.
I bought two 14 foot lengths of the trim, which gave me four 5 foot lengths for two front slides, and two 4 foot lengths for my rear slide which is shorter than the two front slides.
Not rocket science to do. Just measure, buy what you need and install. Used acetone to really clean the slide sides, and alcohol as a final wipe down.
Trim just installs with the 3M tape thats on it.
Grumpy

Old 04-22-2016, 05:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy0374 View Post
On my Lexi I just ran them down the center. The strips than contact both the inner and outer seal flaps when slide runs in and out. To be honest, I just "eyeballed" it as far as placement.
I imagine each slide/rig is a bit different, but just running it down the middle would probably suffice.
I bought two 14 foot lengths of the trim, which gave me four 5 foot lengths for two front slides, and two 4 foot lengths for my rear slide which is shorter than the two front slides.
Not rocket science to do. Just measure, buy what you need and install. Used acetone to really clean the slide sides, and alcohol as a final wipe down.
Trim just installs with the 3M tape thats on it.
Grumpy
Thank you very much. I thought your placement looked about middle but I wanted to be sure.I haven't thought much about the seal flaps but the DW has got a "bee in her bonnet" about them and is always fussing over them - trying to get them flapped the right way - coming up with ways to treat them to keep them in good shape etc. You know the saying - a happy wife etc.

So to you and DrJag - Thank you for the posting.

Now to get some trim!!!!! Another project LOL
Old 04-22-2016, 05:48 PM   #9

Yup, you know the old saying, "If the wife ain't happy, then nobody's happy"!!!
Grumpy

Old 04-24-2016, 07:24 AM   #10
MCTroy

Thanks for the tip! Much better than breaking a finger nail trying to flip the seals over! Since you have worked with this trim, do you think it could help with a small gap we have at the bottom of the seal? When open, we have a little daylight getting through at the floor. It is about 1/4 inch, just enough for a cold draft or a bug to come in.

2016 camping: Lost count, but never enough.
2017 6 nights and more reservations made!
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide