Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2011, 12:01 PM   #21
Villa Estate 392FLFB

dont have them on my trailer. I also dont have trees taller then my trailer lol
Old 12-18-2011, 06:33 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Stuff View Post
dont have them on my trailer. I also dont have trees taller then my trailer lol
LOL last time I was through that way I could have sworn I saw a tree as tall as that. Might have imagined it though...
spurge1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:57 PM   #23

My experience has been, (I've had units with and without) a whole lot more stuff collects on the slides without the toppers than with them. To keep them from flapping in the wind I built "antiflappers" out of 1" PVC. Would be happy to supple a photo or 2 if anywone is interested.
bstout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:59 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstout View Post
My experience has been, (I've had units with and without) a whole lot more stuff collects on the slides without the toppers than with them. To keep them from flapping in the wind I built "antiflappers" out of 1" PVC. Would be happy to supple a photo or 2 if anywone is interested.
Yes please do!

2011 Rockwood 8285 WS
2011 GMC 3500 HD 4X4, 6.0, 4.10, SRW
Hoo Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:01 PM   #25
Hob

I would definitely like to see the pictures of the antiflappers. Would they also work on an awning. 1 slide 1 awning

Thank you,

Hob
Hob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:55 PM   #26

PICS
Old 12-19-2011, 08:58 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
"Roof and seals are designed to be used without slide toppers"
-----------------------------------------
Funny so many people have problems with leaks then!
Slide toppers are one of the best investments, there is no doubt. The only people who don't think so are the ones who don't have them!
Had my last TT for 8 years with no slide topper and had zero problems. I guess we could say the only people that say you need them are the ones that spent the money already

OP, If you're ordering one from the factory that is the best time to order one and have it installed since they'll be cheapest at that point, otherwise IMO they are not completely necessary. If I ever have a pocketful of cash I don't need for something else I may have one installed.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:11 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFugate View Post
Had my last TT for 8 years with no slide topper and had zero problems. I guess we could say the only people that say you need them are the ones that spent the money already

I guess a similar comment can be said for those who don't have them. I can only comment that I have never had the need to clean the slide roof from debris. I attribute this to slide toppers.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:59 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
I guess a similar comment can be said for those who don't have them. I can only comment that I have never had the need to clean the slide roof from debris. I attribute this to slide toppers.
It's already been said, did you read the quote?
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:03 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFugate View Post
It's already been said, did you read the quote?

Nope, didn't read the quote so I said it again.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:10 PM   #31

After reading all the comments I am sorry to say I didn't have mine ordered from the factory, but they will be installed before my first trip in our new camper. It's a little more pricy here in Canada but many more trees than a lot of places (Darn leaves).
Rest and Relax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:49 PM   #32

I installed mine because of the heat that came in through the roof of the slide. This made a huge difference in how well the AC keeps up now.
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed hand shaker
ScottG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:26 AM   #33

I have them on this trailer which is my third travel trailer. I did not have them on the first 2 trailers as I knew that I had limited time to allow for camping as I was not retired and I did not plan on owning these very long, nor did I own those trailers for very long – 2 and 3 years each. I think it is worthy to have them as they do serve multiple purposes as others have mentioned.

I always find it humorous when people interject sarcastic comments as to belittle others regarding money spent for options with/for a RV and the related pastime/hobby, because for most people RV ownership and related items are from desire, not necessity. That is not to suggest that good sound prudent monetary business practices and stewardship should not be adhered in determining budgetary allocations for this pastime.

Of course, for those who do live in a RV fulltime, it is different as compared to us weekend worriers. If I lived in 1, I would have the best of what I could afford and all the protective and luxury devices that I could afford to own and afford to maintain. Most definitely would have whatever makes my wife happy!
campdohbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 04:30 PM   #34

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rest and Relax View Post
After reading all the comments I am sorry to say I didn't have mine ordered from the factory, but they will be installed before my first trip in our new camper. It's a little more pricy here in Canada but many more trees than a lot of places (Darn leaves).
Well happy to say toppers are now in place.
Rest and Relax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:49 PM   #35

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Some cut and dried-------

When I ordered my 8285WS, I ordered it with the slide toppers, I do not regret it. Here in Florida and anywhere else in the hot summer, toppers do shade the slide outs, they do protect the rubber seals when the slides are open. Very little leaves or other debris get under the the toppers. As for the flapping, I have not had the experience of the wind blowing to make the noise on the toppers.

There are pros and cons to the toppers, Your dollar, your RV, your good looking RV with toppers that protect the bump outs from heat. Just make sure after a hard rain, you run the bump out in about half way to get rid of the water that pools on top of the topper.

When I see a RV with the topper rail installed and no topper installed, the first thing that I think is, the owner must be on a budget for not having the toppers or was not advised of the benefits of the toppers at time of purchase.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote