Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2018, 08:59 AM   #21

No Existing Window

I currently have no window in my entry door and we have had many close calls of little ones almost knocked of the steps by someone exiting the camper. This question for those that have installed this window. Do you think it would be easy to cut a hole where none exist to mount the door window?
modemem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 09:13 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by grangalo View Post
Hi! About that Oxygenics Shower Head, is it made of stainless or chrome? I was thinking of getting one, but as I live where the winter is pretty harsh, I'm afraid it will rust while in storage...Did you have any problem? Tks!
GRANGALO - I have to look at my literature and see if it mentions what material it is made of... Unless another FRF member knows and can chime in? I just know you can get them in Chrome - White and we got Brushed Nickel. We watched a video and it mentioned about putting the shut-off on the Hot-Cold base rather then up at the head of the shower head. I REALLY liked that idea had the DH put it there - he likes it there as well. You will LOVE the flexible hose! That is sort of one of the main reasons we tried the oxygenic out... our hose was so stiff and the head spun around in the hold and never pointed where you wanted it to. You will enjoy this modification. We just put it in the beginning of this camping season - but I have no fear it will weather the winter well. Good Luck! Happy to answer any other questions you may have. Debbie
jdstrubel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 09:20 AM   #23

If you have the right tools and are skilled at using them, this can be done. Because you will cut through multiple layers, use care to not damage the inside skin if cutting from the outside. Cover the skin in wide masking tape so your saw doesnt scratch the surface. Measure twice, cut once.
JJaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 09:26 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by modemem View Post
I currently have no window in my entry door and we have had many close calls of little ones almost knocked of the steps by someone exiting the camper. This question for those that have installed this window. Do you think it would be easy to cut a hole where none exist to mount the door window?
Until then,,,
how about hanging a battery operated night type light in the stairwell ???

Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 10:21 AM   #25
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by grangalo View Post
Hi! About that Oxygenics Shower Head, is it made of stainless or chrome? I was thinking of getting one, but as I live where the winter is pretty harsh, I'm afraid it will rust while in storage...Did you have any problem? Tks!
Also, get the RV model (at Camping World or online RV stores)...

The Home Depot and Lowe's versions are for sticks and bricks and don't have the same water flow.

I have the Oxygenic's Fury from Camping World in my 5'ver and love it!
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 11:01 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJaxon View Post
If you have the right tools and are skilled at using them, this can be done. Because you will cut through multiple layers, use care to not damage the inside skin if cutting from the outside. Cover the skin in wide masking tape so your saw doesnt scratch the surface. Measure twice, cut once.
They give you a template on the box with instructions. I made holes in my unit starting with a drill bit them moving to a dremmal tool to make the final opening. If you have one or can borrow one, very easy to do. Either tape the template to the door and cut out the opening. Or you can mark it and tape around the opening then cut out.

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk
Old 07-03-2018, 10:02 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by modemem View Post
It came with everything you needed to install in your door.
"The Slim Shade box includes a Template Cutout for doors without an existing window and is located on the back exterior the of Slim Shade box."
See attached Slim Shade™ Installation:
Slim Shade™ Installation Instruction.pdf

We love ours. I no longer have a blind spot driving down the road.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180418_162439.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	322.2 KB
ID:	178230
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 10:32 PM   #28

Just ordered one, thanks for this upgrade.
Scubanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 12:24 PM   #29

I saw one at an RV shop here in Yuma yesterday for $103...

The guy made the mistake of telling me that the first Friday of every month they have 15% off everything in the store...

So guess what I'm buying this Friday...
Old 07-05-2018, 07:07 PM   #30

How "tight" is that shade? Does it go up and down easily? I am wondering at the possibility of attaching an L-shaped rigid rod to it so it can be pushed up and pulled down through the screen at the door handle area. I love the idea of the shade but am not a fan of having to open both screen and door to operate it, particularly with two dogs loose in the RV.
Sandy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 07:18 PM   #31

It slides easy. You have to open the screen door away from door to raise but it’s not a big deal. Order it. You will be glad you did.
Rdeejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 07:23 PM   #32

Some friends of mine have one and they can open theirs from the door handle opening.

Might be a different kind of screen door...I don't know.
Old 07-05-2018, 07:24 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy B View Post
How "tight" is that shade? Does it go up and down easily? I am wondering at the possibility of attaching an L-shaped rigid rod to it so it can be pushed up and pulled down through the screen at the door handle area. I love the idea of the shade but am not a fan of having to open both screen and door to operate it, particularly with two dogs loose in the RV.
The shade is tight enough that it will stay up going down the road. I think a metal coat hanger could be straighten out to do the trick of closing & opening the shade.

I would not add a rod to the shade as it would rattle going down the road. Also the extra weight may pull it down when you want it open.
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:25 PM   #34
Happy Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdstrubel View Post
Has anyone installed one of these and do you like it. I can see the benefits of a shade keeping the sun out and the clear glass to see who's at the door and to enjoy the view.
I recently installed that exact one on my flagstaff... I love it! It helps to have a second pair of hands when installing, but is fairly simple. Cut down on the heat, and I can see out the door!
Matster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:50 PM   #35
Kasual Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy B View Post
Unfortunately, that idea won't work because the shade is pretty tight. I find I need to use two hands to raise it to keep the folds in the fabric from bunching.

Regarding having to open the door, it's really not a big deal. Once it gets dark, we lower it (because you can see in from the outside), and in the morning, raise it. Easy-peasy.
JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:11 PM   #36

Quote:
Has anyone installed one of these and do you like it. I can see the benefits of a shade keeping the sun out and the clear glass to see who's at the door and to enjoy the view.
I'M SO VERY GLAD that I posted this - and I want to thank EVERYONE that has commented.

I SO APPRECIATE the FEEDBACK from ALL the FRF RV Experts!!

Ordered and it has shipped - we should get it tomorrow. We leave next Thursday for our next trip and since SO MANY have commented that it's easy to install ... I will certainly see if the DH can fit this into his schedule and I AM HAPPY to lend a hand.

I CAN NOT WAIT, as so MANY have commented that they LOVE theirs.

THANKS EVERYONE and I see it's caused some other conversations.

So glad we traded our 2004 Flagstaff for a 2017 and they brought this Forum to our attention... I FEEL like I've STRUCK GOLD - And have a support group that we never had before. Just makes me MORE EXCITED about Camping!!

Just ordered the Dura Faucet Single Shower Faucet... I need to hide my Credit Card...

Debbie
Old 07-12-2018, 08:15 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
Some friends of mine have one and they can open theirs from the door handle opening.

Might be a different kind of screen door...I don't know.
I was WONDERING if by reaching thru the "cubby" in the screen if you could move it up and down.... so thanks for sharing your comments.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:18 PM   #38
Happy Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayArras View Post
Unfortunately, that idea won't work because the shade is pretty tight. I find I need to use two hands to raise it to keep the folds in the fabric from bunching.

Regarding having to open the door, it's really not a big deal. Once it gets dark, we lower it (because you can see in from the outside), and in the morning, raise it. Easy-peasy.
It is a bit tight... and the pleats don't always fold correctly. I usually o ly pull the shades down at night, or when stored at home.
Matster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:18 PM   #39

Quote:
I was WONDERING if by reaching thru the "cubby" in the screen if you could move it up and down.... so thanks for sharing your comments.
That opening is just a little too low and not enough room between both doors.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:13 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
That opening is just a little too low and not enough room between both doors.
Okay, I was wondering if I'd need a "RUBBER" arm to get up to the shade top to pull it down... thanks for the comment. We should receive ours tomorrow and I'm sure the DH will install this weekend...

Tags
door, window