Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2011, 12:21 AM   #1

Small Battery Problem with a Stealth SA2714

I am new here so pardon my jumping in with a tech problem. Picked up a new 2012 Stealth SA2714 last weekend. I ordered dual 6V batteries with the unit, and it turns out that there just isn't enough room on the frame to fit the batteries while enclosed in battery boxes. Seems pretty strange that the design won't allow two battery boxes. The dealer had to put the batteries in the frame mount location naked without a box covering them. It's the only way they would fit. I am trying to come up with a easy solution to mod the battery location so they can be covered / enclosed in battery boxes.
I considerd putting them inside the storage area or "basement" as it's called, but I am not about to drill a large vent hole in the side of my new trailer for a battery vent. So that idea seems to be out. Do the batteries really need to be vented?
The only other option I see is to cut off the frame mounts for the propane tanks and re-weld them a bit further forward, (There is not much room there either). Then have new battery mounts welded to the frame. Not what I had in mind for our new trailer.
Or just take both batteries back to the dealer and stick with the one battery. A shame since we boondock 90% of the time.
Any ideas? Am I missing a great solution? Or better yet, anyone have the same trailer and solved the problem easily?
Thanks
Dualsportist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 04:38 AM   #2

(custom made battery cover)

hi
ran into the same problem just the other day
two larger batteries just missed
fitting by a couple of inches while in the plastic boxes
but
would fit without the plastic boxes
I took one battery back to the store
but
kind of wish I would have just made a (custom cover)
for the two batteries

should be able to gain 2 to 4" with a (custom made battery cover)

Mountainmanbob
Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 06:11 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dualsportist View Post
I am new here so pardon my jumping in with a tech problem. Picked up a new 2012 Stealth SA2714 last weekend. I ordered dual 6V batteries with the unit, and it turns out that there just isn't enough room on the frame to fit the batteries while enclosed in battery boxes.
Congratulations on your new trailer. Which battery mount measurements (L, W and/or H) are confining, what size 6 volts are you using, and which battery cases have you looked at?

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 02:07 PM   #4

Got it figured out..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
Congratulations on your new trailer. Which battery mount measurements (L, W and/or H) are confining, what size 6 volts are you using, and which battery cases have you looked at?
My batteries are 10.25" L x 7" W x about 10.5". The batteries are Interstate GC2-XHD-UTL's. I came up with a solution by lowering the battery tray straight down by about 5" within the frame. I will need to fab up some custom covers as well. It's all kind of a bummer since I traded in my last toyhauler because I was tired of working on it!
I also bought a 5" sq. pvc fence post and caps to store the sewer hose in. I guess making the toys a little better is a hard habit to break.
After the sewer hose holder thingee, I am done, I promised her.
I am off to fabricate.
Thanks for the replys. See you on the trail.
Dualsportist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 02:27 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

So it was the height that was the problem? Sounds to me like you have a good solution.

You might take a look at these cover to see if they would work. These were two I considered for my two T145s that might work with your setup. You'll need to look at the specs:

Heavy Duty Battery Box - Holds (2) 6 Volt Golf Cart Batteries

NOCO HM306BK 6V Snap-Top Battery Box

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:26 PM   #6

I just cut two covers down and riveted them back together. Cut equal amounts off both covers, used a strip of what I cut off as reinforcement on the inside and just riveted them back together. I may "weld" the seam with a soldering iron to make them somewhat more capable of shedding water altho' they do have vents in the top.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Modified Dual Battery box cover 1.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	9023   Click image for larger version

Name:	Modified Dual Battery box cover 2.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	9024   Click image for larger version

Name:	Inside Modified Dual Battery box cover.jpg
Views:	142