Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2009, 05:29 PM   #1

Snap Grommets For Out Door Camping Carpets

Was at Walmart yesterday and came across this Item in the seasonal section. They are Sun Screen Fabric Snap Grommets. I was going to install the brass grommets in my out door carpet for the camp ground and use tent steaks to keep it from blowing on windy days. They are gray plastic and UV resistant and come in a package of ten pairs, one male and one female. I installed 12 Snap Grommets in less the 10 mins. Very easy to install and fit tight.... It dose say SUN SCREEN FABRIC but It works fantastic on indoor/outdoor carpet....Just thought I would pass it on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2205.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	1396   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2206.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	1397   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2207.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	1398  
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 06:45 AM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member

We added something similar to our patio rug and use the Presto Rug stakes. They are easy to drive in gravel and can be easily removed with a claw hammer. They especially worked well at the beach. Here's a link for them @ Camping World, but I believe we bought something similar at Walmart. I could be wrong though.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...g-stakes/37597

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post
We added something similar to our patio rug and use the Presto Rug stakes. They are easy to drive in gravel and can be easily removed with a claw hammer. They especially worked well at the beach. Here's a link for them @ Camping World, but I believe we bought something similar at Walmart. I could be wrong though.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...g-stakes/37597

I bought tent steaks from Walmart, they look like the same ones you show but they have a removable orange tops, 4 pack for $2.00. I just need to add a flat washer on each one.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:39 AM   #4
Cyber Phrenologist

So what do you cut the round hole with? Utility knife or whatever, or is there a special tool?

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:45 AM   #5
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
So what do you cut the round hole with? Utility knife or whatever, or is there a special tool?
I cheated. I used a 3/8" O/D Copper Coupling, heated it up and melted the hole through the carpet and sealed the edges in the process. That's a Refrigeration Size copper fitting. It stinks a bit and I cleaned it off with a wire wheel on my grinder after doing 2. This way I don't need to worry about it unravelling where the hole is cut through.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 12:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post

No special tool, all I did was place the male part of the grommet under the carpet placed my thumb on top and used a utility knife to make small cuts in the carpet then pushed the male grommet though the hole then applied the female side on top and tapped it down with a hammer as the instruction call for.