Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2015, 10:05 AM   #1

Solar Mod help 3170ds Sunseeker 2016

My new rig comes with a quick connect for the Zamp solar system. They installed the quick connect on the outside of the rig to the left of the entry door about a foot from the bottom. I'm not a fan of the mobile Zamp system- instead i'd like to mount the system on my roof like over mods on this forum. My dilemma is where to run the cable from the tie in to the roof. Are there any chaises or easy runs to the roof? Thanks in advance.
jpurkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 11:38 AM   #2

Solar panel ; electrical routing

You can cut a small hole in refrigerator vent on roof and drop the wire down through into space behind fridge, and then carry cable through behind cabinets and drawers or under floor to where your batteries hang out.
dccotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 11:52 AM   #3

Great advice. If the run is going to be long, make sure you use sufficiently sized wire. If you are going more than 10' use #6. The fridge stack is always a good place to run. I just looked at the floorplan of your rig but can't see where the batteries are for sure. One other thing: where is the charge controller on the built in system? It should be very close (a couple of feet) from the batteries. Maybe the charge controller is built into the portable portion? I don't know but the key to good a good solar install is having the correct wire between the panels and charge controller and charge controller to batteries. Insufficient wire size in either place will not charge the batteries correctly and you will not be a happy camper...
Klipstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 01:19 PM   #4

The batteries are in the second step- and yes on the mobile system the controller hangs of the back of the panels. I was going to use the existing wiring for the zamp system so i dont re-tie into the batteries. The panel i'm installing is a 100 watt system made by renogy. It comes as a kit with the controller

I can put the new controller just inside the cabinet within two feet of the batteries its just a matter of getting through the floor from underneath the rig and into the refer stack from the cabinet. I'll take a closer look when i get home. I'm sure there is way.

Thanks for the advice. I'll post pics when i get them up.
Old 10-20-2015, 01:44 PM   #5
2012 Solera

Solar Install

On our 2012 Solera the batteries are also under the step. I took a different approach with my 100 watt Renogy system. I ran the wires down the front awning channel adjacent to the awning wire. Drilled a hole for them at the bottom of the channel (picture below is horizontal) and mounted the controller to the wall in front of the door. Worked out well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0004.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	365.7 KB
ID:	92319   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0005.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	341.1 KB
ID:	92320   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0006.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	186.6 KB
ID:	92321   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0001.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	217.4 KB
ID:	92322  
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 01:50 PM   #6

not a bad idea, atleast that way you dont have a hole in your roof. How did you attach the panel to your roof? I dont see any brackets. Do you have a photo of the side of your rigg- i.e. is the wire wrapped over the side of your rigg noticeable?
Old 10-20-2015, 02:18 PM   #7
2012 Solera

Solar Install

I attached the panel with two sets of Renogy mounts - two stainless oversize screws per mount into roof with lots of Dicor self leveling each. Eight total mounts; sixteen screws into roof. Hasn't moved or leaked in three years.

The wire coming over the edge is visible, but gets visually "lost" in the awning and related. Picture isn't he greatest, but should give you the general idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SideWireOverlap.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	214.4 KB
ID:	92327  
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 02:31 PM   #8

Great, thanks for the photo- that makes sense. I can see how that wire would be tough to see from the ground looking up. Both options are good- i just gotta see what works best for my setup. Thanks for all the help!
Old 10-21-2015, 09:39 PM   #9

The zamp plug just goes to my batteries, I am hoping to just get 2 100w panels, Mount them on the roof, run wire down trim to the zamp plug. I will cut the wires on the zamp plug and mount a controller in between plug and battery. It's all right at my storage compartment up front so it will be an easy installation :-)

My Smoker Adventure:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BSZsmP5X78
Use code SPdiscount to buy on Amazon
spower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 03:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by roaddiva View Post
The zamp plug just goes to my batteries, I am hoping to just get 2 100w panels, Mount them on the roof, run wire down trim to the zamp plug. I will cut the wires on the zamp plug and mount a controller in between plug and battery. It's all right at my storage compartment up front so it will be an easy installation :-)
I put 200W on my roof (and wanted to have the ability to add another 100-200W). Decided not to use the Zamp connector. I was not sure of the amp capacity of that connector and wiring. I figured it would be good for a 100W panel. Ran the wire to a controller near my battery bank and 6ga wire from my controller to the batteries

I looked at Zamp's website and I see there is a 150w option. That maybe the max. Perhaps ask them about 2 x 100 W and make sure the existing wiring is heavy enough to not heat up and create loss of that valuable electricity. Solar Ready RV Solar Kits - Zamp Solar

2015 Coachmen Prism 24J MBS
USN-R '01-present
MarsMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sunseeker, solar, 3170, modifications