Originally Posted by bragg2000
thanks Him, I just have a few questions not ever having installed a solar system before.
1. the system i bought has a monitoring unit/ charge controller that appears to be all in one. Should I just mount that in the trailer if possible?
2. Do i need to go direct to the battery or can i go to the back of the converter? Are there any negative effects to either?
If I run direct the battery do i take the underbelly cover off or is there a better way?
1. yes, mount the monitor unit inside so you can make use of the display... makes no sense to have it somewhere difficult to read right? keeps the unit safe from weather as well inside imo...
2. you can do either. just make sure you keep positive to positive and negative to negative. otherwise you will short your converter. if it were me, i would connect directly to the battery. sometimes, the techs at the rv places hook up the smaller solar panels to the dc leads in the fridge since it's all connected. if you have larger panels or larger wattage system of panels, then definitely connect it straight to the battery. either way, make sure you have the correct wire size to carry the load efficiently and safely.
3. on how to get to the battery, that will be different for every make and model. under the belly is very common...