Old 10-20-2015, 08:29 PM   #1

Solar Panel

I'm getting a new Heritage Glen 368rlbh with the residential fridge. My concern is that when at my season site I may not know if anyone long the power goes out so I'm thinking of adding a 2nd battery and maybe a solar panel for the main purpose of the fridge. I turn everything off except the fridge and any device in sleep or standby mode during the week. We are typically at the campground every weekend. Does anyone know hat size solar panel I could get on the smaller side for this? I'm not sure the power consumption of the fridge since I don't yet have it.

Old 11-04-2015, 07:33 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinostop View Post
I'm getting a new Heritage Glen 368rlbh with the residential fridge. My concern is that when at my season site I may not know if anyone long the power goes out so I'm thinking of adding a 2nd battery and maybe a solar panel for the main purpose of the fridge. I turn everything off except the fridge and any device in sleep or standby mode during the week. We are typically at the campground every weekend. Does anyone know hat size solar panel I could get on the smaller side for this? I'm not sure the power consumption of the fridge since I don't yet have it.
Sorry, I cannot offer specific info because I'm just learning about Solar myself. Here are some notes that I've cut & pasted. Hopefully they'll help. Cannot recall the source, as I'm still researching everything about RV Solar.

Residential Refrigerators
In the past few years I often get asked to design solar/electric systems for RV's with residential refrigerators. Since the late 2000's the energy efficiency of these refrigerators has improved enough that it is possible to both boondock and have your residential refrigerator. For avid boondockers having the electric refrigerator is likely too much of a compromise unless you have a very large solar/electrical system. But for people that do not boondock for months on end, it is now a viable alternative with a large solar system, or a combination of a medium system and an hour or so of generator time a day. As always, your usage habits and the compromises you are willing to make will factor into the decision to go with a residential refrigerator.
In general, these refrigerators add about 100 amp hours (DC) to your electrical burden (per 24 hrs). You need to replace both that, and whatever else you use for power. There are things you can do to minimize this usage some, but in general plan for 100 Ah.

Model Frigidaire FGTC2349KS 23 cf side by side with panel kit
KWh/year 549.69
KWh/day 1.51
Amps@120V 12.6
Amps @ 12V 126
Daily Usage (Watt-Hours) 1506

Old 11-04-2015, 07:53 PM   #3

FWIW, my calculations:

Based on the 1500 watt hours quoted above.

125 AH @ 12 volts = 1500 WH

You should not use more than 50% of AH capacity before recharging batteries, so you would need about 250 AH per day of battery capacity. For 5 days, that's 1250 AH of capacity, or roughly 12 group 24 batteries. This does not take into account that inverter efficiency is less than 100%.

Solar is not even a contender for this amount of power, even if you could guarantee that you would have full sunshine when the power fails.

This is Worst Case, assuming a power outage lasting 5 days.

If you have the equivalent of 300 AH installed already, you are good for 30 hours without power. If someone at your site is willing to call you if the power is out for over 24 hours, then you can decide if you are willing to let the contents of the reefer go bad, or ask that someone put them in a cooler.

Tags
solar, solar panel