Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2015, 03:57 PM   #21

Strangely enough, I installed 3 of my panels with SS sheet metal screws and Goop, and the other 3 with well nuts and stainless steel screws. I have seen no difference in stability or holding power as they are all 1/2 inch from the roof and very little air passes under them that would create lift. Enough air to help cool them is good.
I'm not sure what is right and what's wrong, just what works and they are all still there and solid. I have to clean seagull poop off them now and then, so they get checked frequently. Living on an island has it's drawbacks. lol
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 10:33 AM   #22

Hi,
New to this forum, first camper and first solar panels (eventually).

Picking up my Rockwood A122SXR on Monday and have begun researching solar panels for it. I'm having dealer add a battery so it will have 2 from the start.

My question is can I use the Renogy 100w Foldable solar suitcase ($279.) instead of the Zamp 80 watt portable ($500.) simply by adding the Zamp connectors? Seems too easy and too much of a no brainer to be right. Any input would be appreciated.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...02L3XUQ70M87BV

vs.

http://www.solardealz.com/Portable-S...-p/zs-80-p.htm

Our camper will be used for ski trips, bike trips and any other adventure we can think of. It has a heated mattress and heat exchanger so trying to make sure we stay warm in winter.

Thanks!
danstone12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 04:17 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursell View Post
How do you run the wire for panels to the batteries? What pathway was used to get them from the roof down into the battery compartment?
Since I had not seen it mentioned as of yet, I ran my wires down the grey tank vent. If the setup works, it's another idea on moving cable down from the roof.
dayooper951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 04:34 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkmonkey View Post
Could you tell me what type or brand of mounting brackets you used and where you got them? Thanks!
I like the brackets AM Solar sells, though they are a bit pricey compared to other options. I also purchased a set of their tilt brackets, so I can easily use these if I'm working to get the best production of juice possible due to the curvature of my roof.

Accessories to Augment our other Solar Products

Steve
dayooper951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 08:54 PM   #25

As far as running my wires, I ran them down along the left outside back, then under into the main wire loom then up through an existing hole in the floor to where the main battery wires were as well as the circuit panel is and where I installed the Extra Batteries.

2014 Salem 30QBSS
Doug_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 10:13 PM   #26

Just got a new Flagstaff with Zamp solar plug. I bought Renology 100 watt solar panels. Haven't spent too much time yet but noticed the plugs are opposite. When I plugged in the Renology I got no reading on the Renology panel. Used the battery clamps that came with it and it works great. Looking into it the positive wire/plug of the Renology connected into the negative plug/wire of the Zamp. I may reverse the wires on the panel as that is the easiest thing to do. Need to check the gauge of the Zamp wires. I wonder if Zamp did this on purpose. I've got 2. 6v batteries in series and ran the fridge for 2 weeks. Also had the radio on this last weekend with 2LED lights from5:00 pm to10:00. In the morning my battery was 12.27. Will get back when I've checked more.
noseeums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 06:45 PM   #27

Drilling Holes in Flagstaff TT Roof

Can anyone tell me how thick the roof is in the Flagstaff? I want to mount a Renogy 100 watt panel, and intend to insert hanger bolts to make it easily removable. I just don't want to drill through. Are there studs running in the roof, or spacers? Is it two sheets of material with a space between, or simply a single sheet?

Thanks for any assistance,
Ron
ronwes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 09:02 AM   #28

Its a single sheet covered with rubberized material beneath that is Styrofoam balls. I used sheet metal screws to do the attaching. Oh I know whats under the roof? I drilled a hole in what I thought was a hollow space, I was wrong.
Pursell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 11:02 AM   #29

Do you have a feel for how thick that material is? How long were the screws you used?
ronwes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 05:50 PM   #30

Screws where about 1 inch long, but the material on the roof is not that thick I would guess sheet metal thickness. The drill bit went right through it.
Old 06-20-2015, 11:47 AM   #31

Here is another way to mount and run the cable for the solar panels. Also, a lot of solar install equipment can be purchased off of E-bay at very reasonable prices as long as you know what the retail price is and shop around. For instance, AM Solar sells 4 "Z" mounting brackets for $ 40.00, I got 8 "Z" brackets on E-bay for $18.00 and they were stainless steel. So shop around and take your time.

Dan..

https://youtu.be/oqfIjfF5eGQ

Old 06-21-2015, 09:13 AM   #32

They are running the cable down the refrigerator vent located on the roof. Our Flagstaff Classic refrigerator vent is on the side, below the awning. What I ended up doing was going down the black tank vent. I drilled a hole in the pipe and pulled it out of the vent, resealing the hole back up with silicone. Once there I installed the regulator and in the storage area, pulled the wire across and drilled another hole in the battery area and attached it to the batteries. Works just fine.

Tags
solar