Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2011, 06:01 PM   #1

Solera Suspension Upgrade

We recently purchased a 2011 Solera in Austin TX. On each of our first three outings, we drove in head/cross winds of 20-30 mph with bigger gusts. Also, Texas has a habit of underfunding road repairs on the smaller roads we like to travel. Under these conditions, I found driving the Solera to be an exhausting exercise in concentration and continuous steering correction. I found a reference to the Sprinter Store on another forum and contacted Mark to discuss options to improve the performance of our RV. We are planning a 2 year full timing adventure to Europe and wanted to have the MH in the best possible shape before leaving in August. Mark gave me a menu of options including sway bar, leaf assist springs, heavy duty shocks and airbags. After discussing these and researching them online, I elected to order the sway bar, assist springs and shocks. Last Friday I took the rig down to Houston and had Keith at Smitty's Welding and RV Repair do the installation. Once again, we drove home in 20-30 mph head/cross winds on a mixture of interstate and rural roads. What a HUGE improvement! Our rig now drives more like the '64 Vette I had to sell when we got married than the '11 Solera I drove to Houston. I'm certain that it is possible to find dealers closer to home that can do these mods but I wanted to share these with this community as it has made an incredible difference in the drivability of our new rig. We leave for Tewksbury Mass on Wednesday for the first extended test of living on the road. I am now actually looking forward to 4,000 miles behind the wheel instead of dreading it. Have fun and drive safe! See you on the roads!

Charles Collins
Austin, TX

Mark Oland, Service and Sales
Upscale Automotive, Inc.
DBA sprinterstore.com
19460 SW 89th Ave.
Tualatin, OR 97062
503-692-0846
ever4ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 05:48 PM   #2

Could you give us an idea of how much the upgrade you described costs?
TIA
1hoinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:36 PM   #3

1hoiner:

The lift assist spring kit. $600
The auxiliary sway bar kit. $700
The heavy duty rear shock absorbers. $400
The spacer kit. $250
Shipping and packaging. $190

$600 installation locally

ever4ward is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags