Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2016, 10:37 PM   #1

Spare tire / rack

Excuse the multiple threads, but different topics.

I have a 2015 261BHXL (Salem) - does anyone know which part number or could recommend a good spare tire option? If not the rack, maybe just a tire I can throw into the truck bed. Any other common mounting ideas are welcome. RV's and mods is not really something I'm familiar with at all. Is there a supplier that specializes in this?
BNBRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:24 AM   #2

I moved the spare from the rear bumper to above the axles under our Roo. There is data from a study at Bath University in the UK that showed moving the spare from the rear of a 'caravan' raised the speed at which the vehicle resisted sway, by about 10km/h. I don't plan on going faster, but an extra margin of safety in an emergency is worth it to me.

If you are interested, I would sell the spare tire carrier that was bolted to the bumper...

Bal makes a system that mounts underneath the camper as well. You can order the Bal or a bumper mount style at most dealers or online from the usual suspects.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:10 AM   #3

I bought a camper that is within the limits of my truck, even though the truck could probably pull a little more, easily. It's my "pilot" side, once you go outside the numbers, you are a test pilot (driver). So if it's safer to have the spare under the camper, then that's where it'll be.

Is this what you are talking about?

http://www.amazon.com/BAL-28218-Hide...dp/B00KPQYV0E/
Old 05-12-2016, 09:29 AM   #4

Yes... that's the one BNBRV.

Here are some pictures of my 'test run' when I mounted the tire underneath. I have since changed the straps and where they connect to the frame. You can see in the pics that they would have chafed on the frame over time if I would have left them that way. I also added a 3' valve stem extension hose so that I don't have to crawl underneath to check the tire pressure.

If I ever do need the spare, crawling under and cutting the straps quick is likely the least of my issues.

There is some really good data out of Europe on trailer stability testing. In fact, they go as low as 5% tongue weight without sway control bars or WDH and still keep things very resistant to sway by keeping the weight over top of the axles. We just throw them together as cheaply as possible on this side of the pond.

They also have some sanity checks for speeds while towing. Most places over there the max is 80 km/h (50 mph) while towing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spare-test-1.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	107632   Click image for larger version

Name:	spare-test-2.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	107633  
Old 05-12-2016, 09:35 AM   #5

BNBRV, in case you are interested... I also moved my batteries so that they are over the axles and then moved my LP tanks back, and down on the tongue as much as possible.

With the spare, I marked the floor with chalk on the test run and it didn't move a bit.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:39 AM   #6

Here are some pics of the tongue. Only light items like my x-chocks and sewer hoses are stored in the tool box.

note... the spare tire is just laying on the ground in that pic, as I was working on things
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	lp-tank-mounting.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	107636   Click image for larger version

Name:	tongue.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	107637  
Old 05-12-2016, 09:41 AM   #7

I think I'll get the tire holder, I like it. Not sure about installing it myself, though. Might be beyond my skill level. We'll see. My experience in Europe is that they have much smaller and lighter trailers, in general. Simply because large enough vehicles to tow are unheard of. My wife is Danish, I spend a lot of time there. We could go on and on about Europe, I'm not a fan.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon-roo View Post
Here are some pics of the tongue. Only light items like my x-chocks and sewer hoses are stored in the tool box.

note... the spare tire is just laying on the ground in that pic, as I was working on things

Interesting idea, I would love to have a tool box on the tongue, actually.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:53 AM   #9

Europe... I'm with you on that one. But you have to give credit for some good data that verifies the physics through testing. The only question is, with so many more trailers on the roads here, why haven't we done many studies into the problem?

I hear you on the tow vehicle ratings as well. Just because you can pull it, doesn't mean that you should. Perhaps the best solution to sway is a fifth wheel set up, but we just aren't there yet, and we still like the canvas.

The box was very needed for 'outdoor' stuff that was greasy or smelly. It was a great addition!

I just know that mine pulls extremely controllably with my changes, and it works for me. In fact it is far more stable than the big pop up ever was. YMMV

...let me know if you want more info on my mods or more pics.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:54 AM   #10

Lippert makes/sells a Cable Spare tire system that works just like the ones used on PU trucks,they can be mounted anywhere under your RV! Youroo!! This is a Pic of ours mounted between the A frame!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF4657.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	290.9 KB
ID:	107644  
Old 05-12-2016, 09:56 AM   #11

Oh yeah, I forgot about the cable ones. They look really nice as well
Old 05-12-2016, 12:42 PM   #12

I used the BAL Hide-a-spare. Was easy to install and works great. I used 4 self tapping Teks screws per side and an impact driver.
Old 05-12-2016, 01:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon-roo View Post
Europe... I'm with you on that one. But you have to give credit for some good data that verifies the physics through testing. The only question is, with so many more trailers on the roads here, why haven't we done many studies into the problem?

I hear you on the tow vehicle ratings as well. Just because you can pull it, doesn't mean that you should. Perhaps the best solution to sway is a fifth wheel set up, but we just aren't there yet, and we still like the canvas.

The box was very needed for 'outdoor' stuff that was greasy or smelly. It was a great addition!

I just know that mine pulls extremely controllably with my changes, and it works for me. In fact it is far more stable than the big pop up ever was. YMMV

...let me know if you want more info on my mods or more pics.
For as little as I use mine (almost never), my 261 is just perfect. Maybe even overkill. It can sway a bit but not too bad, especially if you keep speed down a little. If we start camping or traveling a lot more, I'm likely to get a Class A. But yeah, I love the 261 for what we use it for.

Only other mod I can think of. On the 2016 models and upgraded on others, I guess, there is an outdoor grill/kitchen on side of the unit near the rear. It slides under the bottom bunk (from the outside, obviously). I think it would be nice to just put a door on it so I can access that storage from outside. Know who sells an access door for these things?
Old 05-12-2016, 01:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdomokos View Post
I used the BAL Hide-a-spare. Was easy to install and works great. I used 4 self tapping Teks screws per side and an impact driver.
That sounds simple enough. I'll order one.
Old 05-12-2016, 01:39 PM   #15

Spare Mounting

Check out the Hide a spare - it gets the tire out of the way without using the bumper.
DocRob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire