Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2011, 05:12 PM   #1

Speaker Grills Removal

I am looking to upgrade the stock speakers in our 2011 Flagstaff. Any idea how you remove the grill covers? I have tried to snap them off without much luck. Seems like that would be the method but I am afraid I was going to snap it.
Wally
Old 11-30-2011, 12:24 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfmdfm
I am looking to upgrade the stock speakers in our 2011 Flagstaff. Any idea how you remove the grill covers? I have tried to snap them off without much luck. Seems like that would be the method but I am afraid I was going to snap it.
Wally
Post a picture?
45 ACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:02 AM   #3
Site Team - Lou

If they are the same ones as in my 2010 Flagstaff, they don't seem to open. (Might be glued shut or heavy snaps that will break off if forced).

My plan is to buy new surface mount speakers from Crutchfield one day.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:29 AM   #4
Wanna Be Camper

According to Concertones site if you have the same C5 speakers that I have in our V-Lite they have snap on grills. You may end up putting small marks in the housings when you pry them off but I would think they should come off pretty easy once you examine them closer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	c5front.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	9470   Click image for larger version

Name:	c5side.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	9471  

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:57 PM   #5

I'm not familiar with these specific speakers/housings, but I did spend 10 years in the car audio business. My educated guess would be that the metal mesh pops out. Best thing to use is a 90 degree angles pick. Be careful though. It's very easy to distort the grille. Once that is off, you should be able to determine how the speakers are held on. Again, I have no personal experience with these specific speakers, so take my advice with a grain of salt.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:27 PM   #6

The picture posted by TheSasks are the speakers I am working on. This afternoon while there was still plenty of light I tried again. I was able to pry with a screwdriver and flat knife enough to start the grill to come off. Even with half of it snapped open it was still a bear to get the grill to snap off. It final gave without any damage. Lou my plan is to replace them with Crutchfield Polk Audio RC60i. The hole will need to be enlarged from 5 1/4" to
7 9/16". The depth of the new speakers will just fit in. These will be powered by a new stereo system installed this winter. I think I will keep the zx700 but only use it with the front speakers and only when I am on battery power.
Wally
Old 11-30-2011, 07:40 PM   #7

Polk makes a decent product, but for the money there are far better options. Diamond Audio makes phenomenal sounding speakers that I have picked up on eBay for next to nothing. The last set I bought on there I got for $30 brand new. They are a smaller company that doesn't have the advertising budget that the bigger guys do so they aren't as well known, but their speakers are amazing. I have them in my current TV and have had them in my 2 previous DDs.