Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2018, 06:22 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Some of you with units with just one outdoor speaker may have discovered the following:

The hillbilly that wired it to our Furrion head unit (which only has L and R outputs for speakers) decided that to 'control' output from two inside speakers and the one outside speaker, 'hey, let's wire the outside speaker to the R channel, and BOTH inside speakers to the L channel!' Hyunk, hyuk, yuk! This way you have to adjust the balance to control speaker volume.

Unfortunately same hillbilly never heard of stereo (been around a while now), so you won't have stereo inside (even with two speakers), and you'll just have to miss out whatever sounds were supposed to come out the R channel, (unless you are outside), in which case you won't hear what is supposed to be coming over the L channel. Brilliant!

I will be rewiring properly in the Spring, with a push button wall mount speaker selector for inside/outside, and having to figure out how to run another pair of speaker wires to the outside speaker, which I plan on replacing with this:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_917FS4...yABEgLgm_D_BwE

I will have to buy spacer to flush mount it. So all in all, I will have to spend 225 bucks plus 10 bucks for speaker selector to make the stereo work properly, the way Rockwood should have done at the factory. BTW, this speaker accepts both left and right channel speaker wires. Hopefully mounting it in place of old speaker and running extra wire to it is not too frustrating. Brand new Rockwood too. 2019 model.
Mines set up so stereo sound works. they used the front or rear speaker fade control to have sound either inside or outside or both
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 08:48 AM   #42
Trailer Park Supervisor

You are lucky. The Furrion unit I have does not have front and back, just L and R outputs. Even in that case, if you only have one speaker outside like my unit, you are only getting half the sounds your are supposed to, because I don't know how they would have combined left and right channels into one speaker.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:19 AM   #43

two speakers inside and two outside . i would think it would be that way on all units . guess they'll cheap out on the dumbest things
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:25 AM   #44
Trailer Park Supervisor

Angry

Not only cheap out, but then wire it wrong because there's no other way to fix their cheapness!!!!
Old 12-08-2018, 12:27 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by keegantimber View Post
Yep. Lots of options. I sometimes camp in my wooded back yard or a racetrack...where louder music can be nice to have. I added an amplifier and new speakers inside along with a subwoofer. I also added a manual switch to turn the amp off when boondocking and using outside speakers only. (To save on 12v consumption).
I wired 4 inside speakers to channel A. The subwoofer is wired to channel B so that I can turn off the extra bass if need be. I have also replaced the outside speakers..still on C, with a better quality marine speaker. I contemplated adding a second smaller amp for the outside speakers but these are working pretty good.
Love the way you set this system up. Best layout I've read about so far for sure. Im working on a 5.1 system now and was considering adding an amp, switched the same way, but only for the outside speakers. Its a small 2 channel amp that is bridgeable, so I could add a small sub to the outside speakers. Just using the outside speakers is ok, but the lack of low end makes the Polks sound really tinny and empty.Even when playing the indoor sub with the outside speakers sounds soooo much better. And the sub isnt loud mind you, its a 10 inch Pyle sub being pushed by 20 watts.
Nights Camped 2016- 15, 2017- 30,2018-27, 2019-36 2020-21
ace911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 12:45 PM   #46
Trailer Park Supervisor

Has anybody had any experience with this Fusion brand surface mount speaker yet? Spacers are available to purchase with it to make it completely surface mount. This would solve my problem of only the R channel being wired to it the existing crap quality outdoor speaker, as the Fusion accepts wiring for both L and R channel, I would just have to connect a speaker selector switch to my Furrion head unit with only L and R outputs, and run a second speaker wire from the selector to the speaker. Even though it would be a 'mono' speaker, both channels would be heard from it.
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_917FS4...yABEgLgm_D_BwE
Old 01-02-2019, 05:00 PM   #47

Why bother replacing speakers? My E-Pro 19FBS has crappy speakers inside and out. I just use the speakers to listen to TV and I have a nice Sony Bluetooth speaker I pair with iTunes/Pandora/iHeart for music...
Just Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 01:13 AM   #48
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

I hardly ever use the outside speakers because they are junk...plus they are not in the right place for where we do outside stuff.

But the inside speakers...go buy a decent set of speakers and install them in minutes and enjoy your TV and movies through them!

Only takes five minutes to swap them out...
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replacement