Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2018, 03:04 PM   #21
Kasual Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by slw2206 View Post
As with most components, they're a little light on bass so I run a MartinLogan Dynamo 700 which is wireless and can easily be placed outside the camper.
Wow! A subwoofer! And that doesn't disturb your fellow campers?
JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 03:07 PM   #22

Nope, they love the music I listen to (I like my 70's, even though I'm only 35 years old)... and since we're all seasonal campers we get along very well.

More on point though, those pods will give people more options when choosing speakers as you have increased mounting depth which is a limiting factor in most RVs.
slw2206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 04:20 PM   #23

Not sure if anyone looked at the stereo side. My 286RL has a magnadyne stereo and the A and B sections are 25 watts output, the C area only has 10 Watts. We had the same issue. Stereo really loud inside and not so good outside. I have not found a suitable replacement yet as it involves the TV/DVD.

Started replacing the Jenson TV and now looking at the stereo again. Decided I really didn't need the DVD as we stream or load ripped movies on a thumb drive.

Robb
MORobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 06:33 PM   #24

Morobb,

My OEM system was the same with the 3 zone Magnadyne unit and had the sme limited 3rd zone amplification.

A simple solution if the OP didn't want to replace the head unit would be to run an in line amp off the speaker wires for the 3rd zone. Then the Gain could be adjusted to "even out" that 3rd zone with the other 2 (or just play music louder/better if a decent amp/speakers combo is wired up).

Any way you look at it, there's lots of options out there; just a matter of how much money and time you throw at it.
slw2206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 07:02 PM   #25

Yep. Lots of options. I sometimes camp in my wooded back yard or a racetrack...where louder music can be nice to have. I added an amplifier and new speakers inside along with a subwoofer. I also added a manual switch to turn the amp off when boondocking and using outside speakers only. (To save on 12v consumption).
I wired 4 inside speakers to channel A. The subwoofer is wired to channel B so that I can turn off the extra bass if need be. I have also replaced the outside speakers..still on C, with a better quality marine speaker. I contemplated adding a second smaller amp for the outside speakers but these are working pretty good.
keegantimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 03:56 PM   #26

Speaker upgrade

Has anyone replaced there speakers. Was thinking about Polk audio marine speakers.
Knucklehead1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 04:24 PM   #27
RV There Yet?

If you are not afraid of possibly cutting the siding material and the plywood backer you should be in good shape. i blew one of my outdoor speakers and replaced it myself with a factory unit. they are not anywhere close to "normal sizes". i looked into replacing with better speakers as well, but the depth was a hinderance and i would have also had to find some goofy size or cut bigger holes. i believe that all of the newer cherokee line of campers all use the same speaker, the blue one with or without led lights. https://www.etrailer.com/Boat-Access...24-000020.html
the speaker grill is integrated with the basket, so not a real easy swap.
IsleDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 04:45 PM   #28

I haven't got around to it yet but my stock speakers are going in the trash can along with the garbage stereo . Going to get Kicker Marine speakers for outside and regular Kickers for inside . Also going to put a touch screen double DIN Stereo in place of the garbage it came with . Then I'm going to put a door on the other end of the cabinet its all mounted in .

TV:GMC 2500HD Duramax
TT: 2015 Wildwood 21rbs
510Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 04:46 PM   #29

I was wondering about that. Do factory size is 5 1/4”?
Old 08-14-2018, 04:48 PM   #30

if you didn't want to cut into the side of the camper you could use a pod like these: https://www.retromanufacturing.com/p...aker-modules-8
MORobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 04:49 PM   #31

Interesting thank you
Old 08-14-2018, 05:50 PM   #32

So what size is factory on the outside speakers? 5 1/4? Want to upgrade my speakers.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:18 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead1976 View Post
Has anyone replaced there speakers. Was thinking about Polk audio marine speakers.
I replaced my factory speakers with the Polk DB622. They are the largest speakers that will fit without cutting. The improvement in sound quality is impressive, even with the factory head unit. I have only had them installed for about 5 months, so I don't know how they will hold up. It takes a few hours of playing time to get the new speakers broken in for the best sound quality. The upgrade is definitely worth the time and effort.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:23 PM   #34

Thank you very much!
Old 08-18-2018, 11:02 PM   #35

On my brand new forest river Cherokee the out side speakers really suck. What brand, models, would be best? To replace? I was thinking going marine type.
TrixieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 12:53 AM   #36

https://www.polkaudio.com/products/db522
Old 08-20-2018, 04:10 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnycolt View Post
Well is there any replacement for them west marine
I replaced mine with Pyle marine speakers. eBay for $29.99 with free shipping, decent quality
turret_plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 10:01 AM   #38

Awesome ty for the info
Old 12-05-2018, 05:47 PM   #39
Trailer Park Supervisor

For those of us with just one outdoor speaker

Some of you with units with just one outdoor speaker may have discovered the following:

The hillbilly that wired it to our Furrion head unit (which only has L and R outputs for speakers) decided that to 'control' output from two inside speakers and the one outside speaker, 'hey, let's wire the outside speaker to the R channel, and BOTH inside speakers to the L channel!' Hyunk, hyuk, yuk! This way you have to adjust the balance to control speaker volume.

Unfortunately same hillbilly never heard of stereo (been around a while now), so you won't have stereo inside (even with two speakers), and you'll just have to miss out whatever sounds were supposed to come out the R channel, (unless you are outside), in which case you won't hear what is supposed to be coming over the L channel. Brilliant!

I will be rewiring properly in the Spring, with a push button wall mount speaker selector for inside/outside, and having to figure out how to run another pair of speaker wires to the outside speaker, which I plan on replacing with this:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_917FS4...yABEgLgm_D_BwE

I will have to buy spacer to flush mount it. So all in all, I will have to spend 225 bucks plus 10 bucks for speaker selector to make the stereo work properly, the way Rockwood should have done at the factory. BTW, this speaker accepts both left and right channel speaker wires. Hopefully mounting it in place of old speaker and running extra wire to it is not too frustrating. Brand new Rockwood too. 2019 model.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 05:54 PM   #40

Hey now, some of us hillbilly rednecks can actually do thangs with them eeeelectronik gizzmos.......
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replacement