Old 10-07-2013, 01:02 PM   #1

stabilize slides for rough road FLT831KKBSS

Factory slide clamp bars will not stay in place, and gaskets rub and chaff from slide movement on rougher roads. I am looking at alternate means of securing the inward pressure to the big slide by using rubber bungy attached to slide by way of fabricated hooks over the top flange and to a member on the opposite side. Also looking for a way to dampen forward and back movement by force against the end walls. My question is where are the best points of purchase on the opposite wall, (where are heaviest structural members).
Is there a better way? Roof clamps are useless, and the slide really moves. 2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS. Forest River has treated me well in all warranty issues. I have no complaints. The units are built light, and i need to improve my trailer for my needs. Mexico travel.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:20 PM   #2

Ratchet strap from bottom of slide under trailer snd hook on frame on other side.

Old 10-13-2013, 03:50 PM   #3

secure slide

Assuming securing the slide in extremely rough traveling conditions warranted crawling under the trailer to make attachments, hook/strapping could be done only by devising attachment points on the frame through the "belly shield". The trailer is slick underneath. Possibly a clamping devise could be fabricated to secure at both side frame points, and to the frame. Considerable fabrication, and still requires laying on your back to connect or disconnect. I am looking for an easier approach to secure from the inside, just to create more friction by inward force on the slide body. I think this can be done with straps or bungee from the top slide interior flange to a point on opposite side. Easily removed during stops. Also, i think some form of bumper block can be used in the gap between the slide frame and the edge of the wall opening. This would also need to be detachable prior to sliding. It is obvious that the slide suffers from a front to back repeated motion caused by trailer pitching on uneven roads. I.e. Hwy 101, Mexico, and others. I wish someone would invent a travel trailer hitch that would isolate the TV buck from the trailer tongue. The common WD hitches do not isolate that motion, perhaps dampen same. An opportunity for someone, or some company.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:50 AM   #4

ratchet strap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priusron View Post
Ratchet strap from bottom of slide under trailer snd hook on frame on other side.
Thought about this rather than using the bars because of the damage the bars can do. Would think it would work better and if you forgot them and tried to open you'd realize it before causing Damage.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:56 PM   #5

Actually if you try to open it with the strap on the ratchet will slip or strip before damaging your rig. Use a cheap 1 inch strap

Tags
slide, slide out