Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2011, 10:29 AM   #1

Stand Alone Screen Room

We just purchased a 2012 Rockwood Hard Side A122 A-Frame Popup. I need some outdoor living space due to the small size. I need a quick to raise canopy for rain protection AND screens for keeping the bugs at bay. Any suggestions based on a good personal experience. Just me, wife and dog so size doesn't need to be too large. Thanks in advance.
hardsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 10:39 AM   #2

I bought a stand alone screen room at Walmart last year. It's been great (and good price). I would buy the same one again.
Yes I can put it up by myself and once you do it a couple of times it gets easier. You want to put the top over the poles before it's all the way up and then walk the 4 corners out. (still not raised) and then extend and lock the legs. It's sturdy. We carry empty milk jugs to fill with water to hold the corners down in a wind - as I have yet to find a campsite where stakes go into the ground and don't instead hit roots and rocks. A typical large campsite picnic table fits inside. I am quite happy with the purchase. I have three children zipping in and out and so far it's proved sturdy. The only downside is having to pack it up if it's raining. It has allowed us to be outside mosquito free. I can set the children up with some craft projects at the table without them being eaten alive.
days camped in 2011: 37 (up to Aug 1st)
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 11:16 AM   #3

Size of the room

You don't happen to know the make/model and size of the room you bought do you? Price might help me find it too. Thanks
Old 06-18-2011, 01:06 AM   #4

I can check tomorrow. I fell yesterday and my knee is swollen and really painful. Hopefully tomorrow I'll not be so imobilized.

You might want to see what the local Wally world has to offer. It seems like they get new / different camping items in each season, so not necessarily the same brand / model. I'm sure it was under $100, and I'm thinking quite a bit less than that, but can not recall exactly.
days camped in 2011: 37 (up to Aug 1st)
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 06:43 AM   #5

get well

thanks. Sorry to hear you hurt your knee. Don't worry about looking for me... I will go to the store and see what they have to offer. You are right that just because it was there last year that it would still be there. just take care of your knee and I find some bug relief soon enough.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:29 AM   #6

Not sure where you are - but here in Canada I got a Broadstone Shelter from Canadian Tire for less than $100 on sale. I stores in a very small bag and opens like an umbrella, all poles are attached permanently - fabulous - a 6ft picnic table fits and leaves lots of space. 15ft x 13ft

Here is a link. Good luck.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/Camping/DiningShelters/PRD~0765036P/Broadstone%252BEasy%252BUp%252BShelter%25252C%252B 15%252Bx%252B13%252Bft.jsp?locale=en