Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2011, 02:48 PM   #1

Steady Fast Stabilzer System

All trailers and 5th wheels shake a little when setup in the campgrounds. In the past I have used good wheel chocks on both sides as well as a tripod for my 5th wheel. I have read many folks afer awhile stop using the tripod because they are too bulky/heavy and it is a pain to install sometimes.

With my new 2011 5th I decided on mounted stabilzers. I read about JT StrongArms and SteadyFast System and both seem to do the trick and about the same price.

I decided on the SteadyFast System because it was only 3 arms and looked simple in an engineering standpoint. So I go online and order them from the ir website. It was $299 with free shipping and no tax for me and I paid by using PayPal.

I ordered them on Tuesday and received them Thursday by FedEx. The box was well packed and nothing was moving around (se pics). I inventoried all the parts and started reading the install instructions.

The next day I layed out and premounted many of the parts before getting near mt trailer. I also spend some time looking on the locations to mount on my trailer. After great thought I decided to install the rear first because it was the easiest. (see pics). This went very well and moved on to the front set.

The front set took a little longer because of the 2 points I needed to mount. If you read the instructions and highlight the key points will help a great deal especially how to tighten different bolts and nuts. All the nuts were with teflon locking rings but I also used red lock-tite fliud as I installed to make sure.

It took me about 3 hours to install but that is becasue I make sure I make the correct decisions by running things thru my head many times.
Take a look at my pictures in my album on the installation.

I must say that they definitely stop 99.9% of my swaying and that is what I wanted. If you have any questions go for it.

STEADYFAST SYSTEM INSTALL PICTURES
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:17 PM   #2

Stabilizers

Those look great Iggy...We have our first fifth wheel and I thought it was going to be our last. We took 3 trips in it and my wife was very unhappy with the unsteadiness. I called several rv dealers and they all told me different things I should buy/do. I saw those stablizers after we got set up for about a three month stay. To be honest just couldn't turm loose of the green backs right now. So I went to Harbor Freight and picked up two cargo bars and it was amazing how they steadied the unit.
Now moma's happy and you know the rest of the story.
Kscr4
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1060863.jpg
Views:	551
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	4329  
2010-33 nites
2011-41 nites and growing
2012-29 with more to come
kscr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscr4 View Post
Those look great Iggy...We have our first fifth wheel and I thought it was going to be our last. We took 3 trips in it and my wife was very unhappy with the unsteadiness. I called several rv dealers and they all told me different things I should buy/do. I saw those stablizers after we got set up for about a three month stay. To be honest just couldn't turm loose of the green backs right now. So I went to Harbor Freight and picked up two cargo bars and it was amazing how they steadied the unit.
Now moma's happy and you know the rest of the story.
Kscr4
That is a great idea for a temporary or quick fix. If you are staying for a time in pne place. Another quick idea was to install a cargo strap across the bottom of your from legs and tighten snuggly.

I undertsand the money issue but this was for us a nice extra. I'm sure others will want to see them in action at the 2011 Forest River Owners Group Rally in Branson MO. May 1-4
See link in my signature below.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:35 AM   #4

Location: Canandaigua,New York (The heart of the Finger Lakes)
Iggy do you have a second date planned for summer ?? May is still winter time for some of us Forest River Owner's.The snow here may not be melted enough to get our camper out of storage buy the end of April.(we'll have to leave early because of travel time)..........Think about our snowy friends in the North !! lol
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:28 AM   #5

i purchaced the steady fast system also. i've only inltalled the rear one. weather isn't cooperating.
before the stabilizers, someone walking in the lower part is eaisly felt by someone in the front. the tripod didn't help very much, i'm lhoping this system works better.
the two on the landing gear look like they will have that abt as stable as u can get them. my concern in the one in the rear; side to side is the only stabilization.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
All trailers and 5th wheels shake a little when setup in the campgrounds. In the past I have used good wheel chocks on both sides as well as a tripod for my 5th wheel. I have read many folks afer awhile stop using the tripod because they are too bulky/heavy and it is a pain to install sometimes.

With my new 2011 5th I decided on mounted stabilzers. I read about JT StrongArms and SteadyFast System and both seem to do the trick and about the same price.

I decided on the SteadyFast System because it was only 3 arms and looked simple in an engineering standpoint. So I go online and order them from the ir website. It was $299 with free shipping and no tax for me and I paid by using PayPal.

I ordered them on Tuesday and received them Thursday by FedEx. The box was well packed and nothing was moving around (se pics). I inventoried all the parts and started reading the install instructions.

The next day I layed out and premounted many of the parts before getting near mt trailer. I also spend some time looking on the locations to mount on my trailer. After great thought I decided to install the rear first because it was the easiest. (see pics). This went very well and moved on to the front set.

The front set took a little longer because of the 2 points I needed to mount. If you read the instructions and highlight the key points will help a great deal especially how to tighten different bolts and nuts. All the nuts were with teflon locking rings but I also used red lock-tite fliud as I installed to make sure.

It took me about 3 hours to install but that is becasue I make sure I make the correct decisions by running things thru my head many times.
Take a look at my pictures in my album on the installation.

I must say that they definitely stop 99.9% of my swaying and that is what I wanted. If you have any questions go for it.

STEADYFAST SYSTEM INSTALL PICTURES
I just ordered my Steadyfast last week, I am also replacing the stabilizers with BAL scissor jacks. I am installing 6 jacks, 2 at the front and rear and 2 just behind the axles to eliminate the bounce. I will post pictures this spring after the snow melts.
Days camped in 2015...more than 2014!!
yvesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:34 AM   #7

Looks good, however I can see the value of the front unit but that rear one looks like more of a placebo with that type of jack than actually doing anything given the way those rear jacks triangulate themselves. I could possibly see it having an effect if you had scissor jacks out back though.
JohnnyThunderCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimh View Post
i purchaced the steady fast system also. i've only inltalled the rear one. weather isn't cooperating.
before the stabilizers, someone walking in the lower part is eaisly felt by someone in the front. the tripod didn't help very much, i'm lhoping this system works better.
the two on the landing gear look like they will have that abt as stable as u can get them. my concern in the one in the rear; side to side is the only stabilization.

To steady the rig you will need to eliminate the loose points which is the front legs and the rear stabilizers. One across the back will nly help the rear sise to side but most of the weight is on the front legs and that you need both the across and lateral support to stop side to side as well as front to back. I spend 4 days camping last week and everyone want to know how they were. I showed them and they just couldn't believe th difference when I loosed them up.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyThunderCat View Post
Looks good, however I can see the value of the front unit but that rear one looks like more of a placebo with that type of jack than actually doing anything given the way those rear jacks triangulate themselves. I could possibly see it having an effect if you had scissor jacks out back though.
No the rear helps stabilize the rear shake and it works well when you have all 3 adjusted properly. All you are doing is attaching the legs to the main frame of the trailer which is a solid object.

LINK to pictures
Old 02-09-2011, 09:52 PM   #10

thanks for posting - I know when I looked at the trailer I ordered I noticed the sway but of course it didnt have the jacks down - if I get the shakes with the jacks down I will be ordering a set and installing them - reading your post sure give's some reassurance to some of new owners stuff to look at and works from someone else's experiance.
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherdep View Post
thanks for posting - I know when I looked at the trailer I ordered I noticed the sway but of course it didnt have the jacks down - if I get the shakes with the jacks down I will be ordering a set and installing them - reading your post sure give's some reassurance to some of new owners stuff to look at and works from someone else's experiance.
I have 2 wheel locks I use which also helps the whole picture. I usually don't stay for any long periods at any one campground. Maybe 3-4 the most so it doesn't bother me as it bothers my wife more. I'm planning a big campout in about 30 days in Mexico and plan to stay on the beach for 2 weeks so that will be the real test.

Link to Wheel Chocks I use