Old 02-20-2014, 09:50 PM   #21
Steph, as you know DH and I had the same TT you guys have, before we bought the 5er last month. We're sorry to hear this happened to you guys. Reading your description of the inside while buttoned up is spot-on. IMO they were after the flat screen only. Those fetch a nice price, and quickly on the street. If they'd known the counter top pedestal for the flat screen is (usually) stored in the overhead cabinets they probably wouldn't have gone to the trouble of removing the mounting bracket. /smirk IMO they took the bracket because that's the only way it could be used without the pedestal. All that trouble (yeah, poor dudes, all that work, so sad) and the pedestal was within arm's reach (if you left it in that over head cabinet, that is).

grrrrr I can NOT abide a stinkin' thief.

We store our RV in the back yard, and I'm paranoid about thieves. EVERY day that we owned the V-Lite I did a walk around early in the morning, checking all the windows and doors. I'm doing the same thing with the 5er. I do this even though we have a security system and outdoor/remote cameras placed around the property...with one specifically dedicated to the RV. Security systems, like locks, keep the honest out, and only slow down a determined scumbag thief.

It does seem that they *knew* which door to break in to, given the restricted area inside the bedroom door. Someone familiar with the floor plan of that model for sure.

Hope the camera footage helps in bustin' their butts to hell and begone.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:10 PM   #22
Being that this facility is secure from outsiders It would have to be someone with access and the fact that they left everything but the tv bracket means they wanted it only. I've worked with criminals for 24 yrs they wouldn't have left all the other stuff and they wouldn't have bothered to close the door when they left. Unless one of those security tapes actually shows the door of your unit you probably will never know unless this person needs something else and is caught shopping around the other trailers. I've always been uncomfortable with the storage compartment doors, some are big enough for a small person to enter that way. To make it easier the compartment keys for all trailers are the same, so my keys will open your trailer compartments. I changed the door locks and got new compartment locks that were keyed the same as the entrance doors.

mark0224 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:14 PM   #23
Originally Posted by Ray and Steph View Post
Picked up the TT at the storage facility Thurs pm and nothing looked amiss. Drove 1/2 hr to group site and proceeded to set up. Noticed when I unlocked back door (living room) that lock turned funny and I had to press in on door to get it open, but it was locked. Imagine my surprise to see that the TV and mounting bracket had been stolen. Immediately called the storage facility, but they had already closed for the day.
Sometime between 12/9 and 2/13 our door was popped open, probably using a pry bar since close examination reveals a slight bowing, and the thief was in it long enough to remove the 13+ screws necessary to take the TV and mounting bracket, but it doesn't appear they took anything else. Several hundred dollars worth of CDs and DVDs conveniently packed in carry bags were ignored as was our shore line cord that they had to step over to get inside the TT. On their way out they popped the door back into place and folded the assist rail in so no one was the wiser.
We pay plenty for covered storage with lots of cameras and key code access required. It will be interesting to find out how many other units were hit. Ours is one of the newer TTs there, but there are bigger, fancier 5ers and coaches as well. We are in the middle of the row rather than an end slot, Can't imagine that our TT was singled out. Now, how do we keep it from happening again, short of installing a bar across the door?
What are the most secure TT door locks? Would electronic locks be less likely to be popped? Surely we are not the only ones this has happened to. Taking everything of value out of the TT after each trip is just not an option. Your suggestions will be appreciated!
Sorry to hear about your lost. An FYI that I never knew till I got my last 5er camper. The striker locks are all keyed for a service master. You must lock the dead bolt to secure your door.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forest River Forums mobile app
2007 GMC 2500 Duramax Crew Cab LB
2008 5th Wheel Cardinal 36LE
R Whitlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 02:55 PM   #24
Thank you all for your feedback. We took the V-Lite directly to the dealer, Ron Hoover-Houston, to have the damaged lock replaced and to get information/estimates for replacing the bracket and TV. When we checked yesterday they were waiting for a response from Forest River. Given the nature of the laminated walls we want to be sure that we don't replace with something that will do more damage than the burglars who were very neat.

Having talked with the owner of the storage facility we now know a little more. A) There is a small group of homeless men living under the interstate bridge within spitting distance of the facility fence. B) The owner has repeatedly asked the sheriff's office to remove them, but so far without success. C) Access to the facility was gained by cutting through the chainlink fence adjacent to their camp. The breech has been repaired with steel plate. D) Almost every unit on the front row with ours has either been broken into or an attempt made. E) When we get our estimates we will amend the police report and ask what action has been taken. F) Nothing shows up on the security tapes.

For the time being we plan to remain at this storage facility. It is only about 5 miles from the house, the TT is under cover, and the space is a pull through; these are priorities for us. We will not be leaving the new TV in the TT and the shore line and battery will come home with us as well. The propane tanks will stay, but we have gotten an armored cable padlock to secure them.

We had already been planning to get a supplemental fuel tank and tonneau cover for the 2500HD, but this event will speed up the process. The bed of the truck will become locked storage when we are on the road; otherwise the TV, shore line, and tools will be stored elsewhere. We have a very loud alarm, OnStar, and other security measures. They can try to take it, but I don't think they would get too far. We are also looking at "nanny cams" or similar devices in case this happens again. We want to restrain ourselves and not over react. Some people like a challenge and we don't want to encourage them in any way.

Ray and Steph is offline   Reply With Quote

door, mount, upgrade, v-lite, lock