Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2018, 04:14 PM   #1

Storage compartment locks

Hi, I would like to change out the generic baggage locks with the cylinder type key. When measuring, do I measure the door thickness or length of the lockset. I see them in 5/8 7/8 and 1-1/8.
Freetyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 04:16 PM   #2

Can’t remember the manufacturer but they had a sheet to download with all the various measurements needed to replace your specific locks.
Old 05-27-2018, 07:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumpster808 View Post
Can’t remember the manufacturer but they had a sheet to download with all the various measurements needed to replace your specific locks.
Thanks, Amazon doesn't go into that detail. Maybe check out an mfg. site.
Old 05-27-2018, 07:34 PM   #4

You measure the length of the shaft starting behind the head of the lockset.
see attached picture. This one is 1-1/8" (a very common size).
These folks CH751.com are great to deal with. They have a downloadable chart on their site to help you you order what you need.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1386.JPG
Views:	282
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	173612  

2021 Newmar Baystar 3401
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk toad
2017.5 Forester 3051S Traded 7/2020
Steve-W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 08:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-W View Post
These folks CH751.com are great to deal with. They have a downloadable chart on their site to help you you order what you need.
Many thanks Steve. Exactly what I needed.
Old 05-28-2018, 09:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-W View Post

Yep that is the one I was think of with the chart for various measurements.
Old 05-28-2018, 08:23 PM   #7

Ordered mine today from ch751.com, have been very frustrated with the standard locks on my 2018 Rockwood 2507s. The keys won’t work with each lock, and then found out that just about everyone with a camper has the same key! I know you can’t keep a thief out , but I’d rather not have him reach into his pocket and use his key. Hope the change out goes smoothly!
Timinmississippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 09:10 PM   #8

Only takes a few minutes to swap out each lock. When you install them set them up so that the key way on the center slug points the same way when locked. Makes it eaiser to walk around and visually check that they all are locked.
I swapped out 11 in about 45 minutes.

2021 Newmar Baystar 3401
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk toad
2017.5 Forester 3051S Traded 7/2020
Steve-W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 09:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timinmississippi View Post
Ordered mine today from ch751.com, have been very frustrated with the standard locks on my 2018 Rockwood 2507s. The keys won’t work with each lock, and then found out that just about everyone with a camper has the same key! I know you can’t keep a thief out , but I’d rather not have him reach into his pocket and use his key. Hope the change out goes smoothly!
I would rather a thief used "his" key instead of poping the doors open and screwing them up. The price of fixing / replacing the doors is more than anything I keep in the storage compartments.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 02:06 AM   #10

I would like to change mine out but as oaklevel said what's is in there would probably be out when camping and when stored if they are going to go into the backyard through locked gate they are going to go in anyways.
5Kins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 10:51 AM   #11

Storage locks

On my camper , the factory locks do not work with the keys very well . I have applied graphite and that helped some. Some of my keys work on some of the locks but not others. Switching to a quality tumbler lock with one key will be worth the expense if it works as supposed to.
Timinmississippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 11:54 PM   #12

The second thing I did to my new trailer was to replace the ch751 locks with barrel key locks from ch751.com. I feel much better knowing that my storage compartments aren't accessible to everyone with a ch751 key. The way I figure it, if a thief with a ch751 key is looking to steal stuff, he'll pass up my trailer and go to the next one that does have ch751 locks. If he doesn't have a ch751 key, he'll pry open any storage compartment, regardless of what type of lock it has. So I believe I'm better protected with new locks.

As for the first thing I did to my new trailer...I replaced the China bomb tires with Goodyear Endurance tires. I learned that lesson the hard way when pulling a utility trailer from Arizona to Alaska for the first time, which is the same route I just took with my new travel trailer.
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 04:55 AM   #13

Just a question..
If you change out the locks on the storage doors and keep the same way it locks over the edge of the door you really haven't provided any more security. A screw driver will help you bend the door and edge of the opening to let you in.

Really if someone wants something in our RV your not going to keep them out. Yes I know the locks keep the honest people honest. Haven't had a problem in the 2 years we have been fulltiming. Many times I have left a door open and not been around the trailer. Never lost anything yet. I also have left some things outside and stll never lost anything. Yes it can happen but with most of the RVer's around your not going to loose anything. We pretty well keep an eye out for each other.

One thing to be sure about. Do not put locks on your propane doors. If a fireman needs to shut off the propane he does not have a key and I believe it is a federal law.
Viciez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 11:03 AM   #14

If you need to lock the propane bottles, lock the bottle holder down with an after market locking device.
Ifightfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 01:37 PM   #15

I saw on another thread that you can get replacement storage compartment locks with a three number combination, running $18 each on Amazon. No keys.
Boomerweps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 05:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
I would rather a thief used "his" key instead of poping the doors open and screwing them up. The price of fixing / replacing the doors is more than anything I keep in the storage compartments.

Sorry for raising an old post from the dead, but I’m considering swapping out my storage locks and came across this and wanted to respond. I understand not wanting a thief to cause damage, but I would think if they go that far then it’s likely gonna turn into a covered insurance claim anyways no?

I’m more worried about someone looking for a quick and easy score, as that’s the far more common crime. It’s similar to how most stolen bikes are taken right out of an open garage. Even though most garages are pretty damn easy to break into, you just don’t see it very often. On the contrary, if you forget your garage door is open for 15 minutes in a busy city, you can kiss your bikes goodbye! To me, it seems the best option is to protect against the more common shady local or dishonest camper who sees something they like and goes for the easy grab.

I also don’t want to give the insurance companies any reason to deny a claim and I could see that happening if they can prove the storage compartments were unlocked.
Jpontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 05:22 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
The way I figure it, if a thief with a ch751 key is looking to steal stuff, he'll pass up my trailer and go to the next one that does have ch751 locks. If he doesn't have a ch751 key, he'll pry open any storage compartment, regardless of what type of lock it has. So I believe I'm better protected with new locks.
That’s exactly what I was thinking. The more common crime is someone looking for a quick and easy score, whether it’s a fellow camper who has a key and saw something of yours they like (or a thief who has a key) or someone looking for an easy target with unlocked compartments. I feel like leaving them unlocked is just BEGGING to get your stuff stolen and if the thief is determined enough to cause damage, they’re gonna do it regardless of what lock you have.
Jpontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 05:27 AM   #18

A thief probably will NOT have a 751 key. More likely they will carry a pry bar and pop open a locked compartment regardless of the lock.

Unless you have no deductible it would probably not be an insurance claim unless the thief popped several doors on your camper. For me just like at home when the thief looked inside (at home my shed) and saw nothing of value they will move on to the next......

Spend your money if you want.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
lock, storage