Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2019, 05:57 PM   #1

Storage options for bedside “closet”

I’ve just bought a 2020 Rockwood Minilite 2507s and simply love it. The storage is beyond amazing. I’m looking to see what options there are out there for the bedside storage. They are so skinny and deep. Has anybody come up with some clever ideas to make use of all that space?
Old 12-05-2019, 06:48 AM   #2

This will be of minimal help, we just got our first TT. We got a hanging rack type thing. You know those over the door shoe type hanging things? It's very similar to that but smaller. It may or may not work out for our purpose.... but it's an idea for you.
Catalina_Wine_Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 10:32 AM   #3

We never hang garments, so we installed the plastic stacking drawers in the "wardrobe" our prior motorhome. While I was not enamored with them, they served the purpose.

Subsequently, in our "new" Sunseeker, I built drawers in the wardrobe. The top one is mine, and the bottom one (easier to get into) belongs to my wife:

More storage projects on my photo image hosting site: https://pbase.com/brucemac/2015sunseekerstorageshelving
Old 12-05-2019, 02:05 PM   #4

These can be assembled inside the closet:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LWP8AL2/

Kcoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 11:19 PM   #5

I put these in one of my parents trailer. I may use them for ours.

https://www.eagleamerica.com/product...s_and_hardware
Old 12-06-2019, 11:08 AM   #6

Biggest gripe I have about the bedside "closets" in my MicroLite is the valance above the windows on each side. It keeps the doors from fully opening so I can't even add a drawer to the bottom.

I just use one to store bedding for the Dinette bed and the other to hang cold weather jackets and shirts.

Of course my situation simplifies storage. It's just me. No need for storage the rest of the family. Wife passed several years ago and kids are now dealing with their kids. Anyone who joins me on a trip gets to bring a backpack/bag and it goes in the large storage compartment in the bathroom.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 02:22 PM   #7
CampChef

We use hanging shoe shelves in our closets. They allow you to pack socks and other small items in a clean organized manor. You should be able to hang a few items next to the rack to optimize space. Here is a link to one on amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K5NBQGO...v_ov_lig_dp_it
mwmeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 05:56 PM   #8

Storeage

Storage E-pro

I found these storage bins at IKEA they worked for me on the epro I'm not sure on how to get the link to you but it is under storage E-pro link.
Hanesstetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 06:11 PM   #9
Chris and Cecil

Closets

I guess we’re the exception. We use our bedside closets for hanging clothes and one thing I learned was to hang the hangers backwards to keep them from bouncing out since our bedroom is in the rear of the tt where there is the most bounce. Works fine. Additionally I found some small cargo nets with adhesive sides mthat I stuck on the inside of the doors for undies and socks. They stretch to hold tons.

We also (well I, also) had a problem with the valance frame blocking me from opening the closet door all the way. I removed the frame and velcro’ed the valance cover above the window so gave me more room to open the door without leaving a bare spot above the window. The OH storage above the bed is what’s driving me mad! Clothes shifting like crazy, so just bought bins and put folded clothes in the bins.

I took the ‘bad’ side in the bedroom because I wanted the this unit so badly for the large front kitchen I was willing to suck up the inconvenience of the closet and difficult bed entry. I’m short so have to literally climb onto the bed, due to rear storage frame. But all in all it’s worth it!
Old 12-08-2019, 03:17 AM   #10

I bought something similar to this:
https://www.amazon.com/Whitmor-Hangi...30278291&psc=1

Hung it in the closet to decide how many "shelves" I wanted to keep and cut the rest off. So now I have 3 shelfs, a little space on the side of it to hang about 6 shirts since it's not as wide as the closet and about 12"-15" below where the bottom shelf is to put a stack of pants/shorts depending on the season.

It's not an elegant solution but it was cheap, gives me flexibility in what to put where and I can see everything without having to dig through a pile of clothes in an overnight bag. Between the 3 hanging shelves, the space below them and the hangers, I have 5 area's to separate stuff so its worked for me for up to 10 day trips.

My Mrs. prefers the plastic stackable drawers and uses those.
Old 12-08-2019, 01:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyGus View Post
I bought something similar to this:
https://www.amazon.com/Whitmor-Hangi...30278291&psc=1

Hung it in the closet to decide how many "shelves" I wanted to keep and cut the rest off. So now I have 3 shelfs, a little space on the side of it to hang about 6 shirts since it's not as wide as the closet and about 12"-15" below where the bottom shelf is to put a stack of pants/shorts depending on the season.

It's not an elegant solution but it was cheap, gives me flexibility in what to put where and I can see everything without having to dig through a pile of clothes in an overnight bag. Between the 3 hanging shelves, the space below them and the hangers, I have 5 area's to separate stuff so its worked for me for up to 10 day trips.

My Mrs. prefers the plastic stackable drawers and uses those.
Thanks for posting this. Exactly what I've been looking for.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 12:58 PM   #12

I put shelves in for my GF.

My GF wanted shelves. Not happy with the the hanging shoe organizer.
I got aluminum angle at a big box store and had 1/4 " plexi-glass cut to different depths. I added command strip adhesive pads to the undersides of the shelves to make them semi-permanent. Other than having to have an additional elbow installed in my forearm, it was a snap. Pix if you're interested, of the shelves, not the elbow.
hthavana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 01:21 PM   #13

Yes please send pics. How did you attach the angle iron
Old 12-11-2019, 01:55 PM   #14

Wardrobe shelves.

Here you go, I just screwed the angle into the inside walls with 3/4 screws with no problem. I'm attaching a couple of other pix, from when I did the shelves, that solved a couple of beefs I had with my overhead storage areas.
Over the bed, they two doors were in the middle and opened and closed at the middle I flipped those, to make it more accessible, and ordered two more for the ends where it had been a blank panel. I punched out the panel and replaced it with a door that opens top to bottom. The only way it would fit, and even then I had to trim it a bit. I did something similar to the overhead storage over the sofa, where there were only three doors and two panels. I removed the panels and ordered two more doors and now have five doors and easier access to the whole area. I don't recall if I had to order it or if it came with the door, but the hardware came from FR as well so it all matched. The slab doors above the sofa were cheap, and the raised panel doors above the bed weren't bad, $85 for all if I remember correctly. I did go through the local CW to avoid shipping, FR charged me $18 to ship a $16 part shortly before.
And for the record, my TT is a 2109S Mini-Lite.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1584.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	275.0 KB
ID:	220430   Click image for larger version

Name:	1883.jpg
Views:	877
Size:	280.6 KB
ID:	220431   Click image for larger version

Name:	1982.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	333.4 KB
ID:	220432  
hthavana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 02:53 PM   #15

Thanks
Old 12-11-2019, 06:08 PM   #16
Kasual Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Biggest gripe I have about the bedside "closets" in my MicroLite is the valance above the windows on each side. It keeps the doors from fully opening so I can't even add a drawer to the bottom.

I agree, Mike. What a dumb design!
JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 06:13 PM   #17
Kasual Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadooken View Post
I’ve just bought a 2020 Rockwood Minilite 2507s and simply love it. The storage is beyond amazing. I’m looking to see what options there are out there for the bedside storage. They are so skinny and deep. Has anybody come up with some clever ideas to make use of all that space?

Like CincyGus, we installed something called a "Closet Maid" in our cabinets.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ClosetMaid in closet.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	251.7 KB
ID:	220445   Click image for larger version

Name:	ClosetMaid stretched out.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	216.5 KB
ID:	220446  
JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags