Old 01-10-2014, 11:02 AM   #1
New RV'er

Smile Storage rack

Hi everyone,
I'm thinking of putting a 2 ft x 7 ft cargo rack on the back of my 27ft Wildcat RL 5th wheel so I can mount my 160 lb generator. Welded to the frame of course. I will also put other things like bikes and chairs on the rack.
My question is will the rack with about 300 lbs change the tow-ability of the 5th wheel. Like rear end sway or weight issues?
Does anyone have experience or suggestions about my plan.
Thanks
Kenl

Old 01-10-2014, 11:08 AM   #2
Fulltime family RVer

This is a highly debated topic here. Since you have a 2004 Wildcat, you don't have to worry about warranty as this inevitably voids warranties on both the camper and the frame.

I'm not sure what kind of Wildcat you have or if it is considered an "ultra-lite". If it is, the it seems like it's a bad idea no matter what age. There was a poster recently who had a whole slew of issues that were possibly/partially caused by a rack on the back.

Another poster, Herk built one at great time and expense. His wife followed him around the block in their neighborhood once and he never used it again. They said that there was an incredible amount of movement back there.

But, we've also had posts by other folks (rockfordroo, I think) who have done it successfully.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:20 AM   #3

When I purchased our Wildcat I had the dealership install a rear receiver hitch which was welded to the frame. I asked point blank if this would be a warranty issue and was told no. I was told that the rear receiver hitch was a standard feature in 2012 but was moved to the option list in 2013.
My plan is to mount a rear basket for hauling a generator. I am also having another more local Wildcat dealer install a 50amp plug in on the rear wall of the 5th wheel for ease of running power from the generator to the trailer.

2015 Day/Nights Camped 5
2014 Day/Nights Camped 29
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:27 AM   #4

No matter how careful you are one of the campground speed bumps or a pothole will get you.....then the old math will get you wt x arm = moment

2011 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 Gas 3.73
2013 Flagstaff 8524 RLWS
1978 Cape Dory Ketch
sail2liv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:48 AM   #5
Denver, CO

My V Cross comes with a 250 lb capacity one rack, and the rear of the frame is very obviously designed for it. I would VERY carefully evaluate the construction of the rear of your camper before doing anything like this AND I would not automatically trust the dealer.

To maximize the use of this rack, I removed the spare tire and mounted under the camper and mounted a locking truckbox on the rack and put my Honda 2000 there with sound insulation to make it quieter. Put a few other items in there also. Works GREAT
Old 01-10-2014, 02:36 PM   #6

I agree with all the folks here... It can be done but how long is it going to hold up? A generator of any size is going to weight quite a bit... Something I may suggest rather than mounting it on the back of the camper is making a hitch for the front of the truck. I have been seeing a handful of these mounts done, primarily with bicycles mounted to the front but could be done for a generator as well... I actually just installed a custom grill guard with a receiver hitch built into the front of it... I installed and built this more or less for installing a winch to the front or rear of the truck, but if it is strong enough to drag my truck (more likely my buddies trucks) should be capable of holding a cargo rack with a generator!

One tip I do suggest though is if you do go with a receiver mounted rack you need to eliminate the slop between the hitch and the receiver. Here is one from etrailer to eliminate that...

Roadmaster Quiet Hitch for 2" Trailer Hitches Roadmaster Hitch Accessories RM-061

Without know what kind of truck you have it is a little harder of course but here is a link that would work for my truck!

Front Hitch by Curt for 2006 Ram Pickup - 31320

Below is a pic of what mine looks likes built into the grille guard...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0530.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	44727  

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 04:40 PM   #7

If you keep the weight centered and as forward as possible. Make sure that the amount of play between the receiver hitch and receiver tube is secure even to the point of if need be adding shims to eliminate movement you should be safe. A 4K generator should weigh in around the 80 to 120 pound range.

2015 Day/Nights Camped 5
2014 Day/Nights Camped 29
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 05:07 PM   #8
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrjen View Post
When I purchased our Wildcat I had the dealership install a rear receiver hitch which was welded to the frame. I asked point blank if this would be a warranty issue and was told no. I was told that the rear receiver hitch was a standard feature in 2012 but was moved to the option list in 2013.
this isn't always true and you shouldn't necessarily believe the dealer.
another member here, had a hitch receiver welded into his trailer's frame, by his dealer. he had problems afterward that ended up back at the factory, where he was told it violated the warranty and that the dealer should have NEVER installed it. the dealer had to refund him the money they charged for the work.
after that, the issues he had stopped, indicating that the weight on the receiver was the cause.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 05:39 PM   #9
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
after that, the issues he had stopped, indicating that the weight on the receiver was the cause.
I thought that was the case, too - but he added "and the rest of the story". My guess is that it was a combination of the factory repairs to other stuff *and* the removal of the receiver that caused them to go away.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:56 PM   #10
New RV'er

Thanks for all the info. It seems to be a ongoing debate.

Kenl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage