Old 09-04-2016, 09:42 PM   #1

Surge protection

Hi I'm new to the forum and recently bought a evo 2550. I have had other trailers but never installed a surge protected. Looks like the hard wired progressive industries is the one recommended here just curious where the best place to mount it is.

Old 09-04-2016, 09:57 PM   #2
exposurecontrol

Not sure what everyone else is recommending, but this is what I am using. Provides reasonable protection at a reasonable cost.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

exposurecontrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 10:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Channing walker View Post
Hi I'm new to the forum and recently bought a evo 2550. I have had other trailers but never installed a surge protected. Looks like the hard wired progressive industries is the one recommended here just curious where the best place to mount it is.
Not sure where to mount it (I use the portable unit) but YES, Progressive Industries EMS is a no brainer. Buy the best, forget the rest.
Edit: Ps... Welcome to the forum, congrats on your Evo 2550.
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 10:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by exposurecontrol View Post
Not sure what everyone else is recommending, but this is what I am using. Provides reasonable protection at a reasonable cost.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
That is th esiest way, I use to have a TRC that was able to do the same job as the hard wired ones no real difference then to hard wire it in. The pro and cons are the only difference. Hard wire it in and then you only have to plug in and no one can steal it. Remote it attached to the pedestal will still do the samething, but easy to steel. Most of the time you have enough room to install it behind your convertor. Also if you get the pendant it will give you a read out with voltage and amps your pulling inside your trailer which makes it more convenient. Either way you should have something to protect your unit. It's easy to fry something expensive with a CG voltage irregularity. You realy need something it is well worth the investment. for you and your family if you have one. Progressive is very good because of the lifetime warrenty but the TRC will do the same but it only has a one year warranty,...
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 10:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
Progressive is very good because of the lifetime warrenty but the TRC will do the same but it only has a one year warranty,...
TRC "surge guard 44260" is not the same as a Progressive EMS-PT30C, see the chart comparison for yourself.
https://www.rvupgradestore.com/rv-su...uide-a/279.htm
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 05:43 AM   #6

TRC may not have all the bells and whistles that the progressive has but it still will give you protection lets call it entry level. The one I had did give you reverse polarity, 128 sec time delay, over and under voltage shut down and spike protection. But still only a one year warranty but you could buy a second year from CW. Like I said anything is better then nothing, but I urge the OP to get something... It also depends on money and what the OP wants to protect, I would save up and buy the best out there to protect your investment in your TT.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
Old 09-05-2016, 01:24 PM   #7

Found a spot

Thanks for the input. I was digging around the trailer and found a panel on the back side where the cord rolls in. There is already a junction there should be real easy.
Old 09-05-2016, 04:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbt1980 View Post
Thanks for the input. I was digging around the trailer and found a panel on the back side where the cord rolls in. There is already a junction there should be real easy.
Your quit welcome, what you might want to think about is that a lot of members install plugs on both ends, so when they sell there TT they can just remove it. and put the two plugs together to complete the circuit. Or depending on which model you bought if the unit comes with the remote pendant there is a by-pass switch on it. Other wise if it went out you just be without power, or then you could also use your plugs to get you going again... If you got the 30 amp make sure you get 30 amp plugs or 50 if that is what you got. The plugs are not cheap to me through, Camco can cost a lot of pennies with my budget...
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
Old 09-05-2016, 05:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbt1980 View Post
Welcome to the forum. As you've noticed, you'll get loads of great advice on just about every conceivable question and problem you will face.

I installed the PI EMS on my 5er. I found it easy enough even though I have zero experience in such matters - just followed their instructions. The hardest part is getting the wires to fit into the connectors inside the EMS. 36 cable isn't the most ductile of materials.

For me, I just followed the path from where the 50amp service entered the rig and up to the consumer unit (fuse panel). I disconnected the wires at that point and attached the wires from the 1 meter length of #6 cable I'd bought into the same connectors. I then attached the other end of this 1 meter cable to the inside of the PI unit on the exit side of the box.

The cable I'd disconnected from the consumer unit went in to the supply (front end) of the PI box. I then just located where I wanted the remote display to be attached and fed the line through and plugged it in to the unit.

No big flash or bang when I connected to the mains and all has worked well ever since. The PI unit has saved my rig once or twice with low voltage and again when the campground was in a thunderstorm. The unit itself is guaranteed for life and made in the US.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 12:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
Your quit welcome, what you might want to think about is that a lot of members install plugs on both ends, so when they sell there TT they can just remove it. and put the two plugs together to complete the circuit. Or depending on which model you bought if the unit comes with the remote pendant there is a by-pass switch on it. Other wise if it went out you just be without power, or then you could also use your plugs to get you going again... If you got the 30 amp make sure you get 30 amp plugs or 50 if that is what you got. The plugs are not cheap to me through, Camco can cost a lot of pennies with my budget...

Yup, installed the plugs and receptacles on mine too. My main concern was going dark if there was a failure. I know the PI EMS has a bypass, however if that failed... no power. I also have the pedestal model as a backup.