Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2016, 07:20 PM   #1

Surge protection options

Has anyone installed a surge protector between the outside plug connection going in the trailer and the fuse box? I have been thinking of getting the one you plug outside between the trailer plug and the park connection but I'm afraid of it walking off.

My walk through guy mentioned that he wools wire one in line inside so that way it's a permanent thing. Has anyone done this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Harveyfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 07:32 PM   #2

A lot of members installed this one including myself: Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C.....

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...-a-103379.html

Progressive Industries RV Surge and Electrical Protection industry lea
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 07:34 PM   #3

I have been RVing for thirty years and have never had one ! But I do see people wearing a belt and wearing suspenders and maybe a motorcycle helmet . You might be curing a problem that does not exist !
wanderingbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 07:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harveyfamily View Post
Has anyone installed a surge protector between the outside plug connection going in the trailer and the fuse box? I have been thinking of getting the one you plug outside between the trailer plug and the park connection but I'm afraid of it walking off.

My walk through guy mentioned that he wools wire one in line inside so that way it's a permanent thing. Has anyone done this?

I wired in a Progressive Industries 50 amp Electrical Management system. Guaranteed for life, built in the US and way more than just a surge protector. In addition to the PI EMS, I purchased a one meter length of #6 cable, which I then fed from the exit side of the PI EMS box to the consumer unit. Disconnected the main power feed to the consumer unit and fed that in to the entry side of the EMS and then installed the remote viewing unit that lets me know how it is all working. I'm no electrician but following their instructions even got it done in little over an hour. The hardest part was connecting the wires inside the box because they aren't the most malleable. Shop around for the EMS. I got mine from Makarios RV who gave me free shipping anywhere in the US. A friend then brought it back to Canada for me.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 08:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderingbob View Post
I have been RVing for thirty years and have never had one ! But I do see people wearing a belt and wearing suspenders and maybe a motorcycle helmet . You might be curing a problem that does not exist !

I would say most campers that I see don't have one but I do and have had one since I started pulling a camper. But most campers don't have a TPMS on there camper. I do. It's your money buy what gives you piece of mind. It's like insurance for me

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 08:25 PM   #6

I've got a HW50C laying here on my desk waiting on the new camper. I meant to do it on the last one for over two years and never got around to it. The last few weeks have seen some pretty good electrical storms, one of which managed to pulse the house power just right and caused my AC to short cycle. Glad I was home to hear it....it didn't sound pretty. My dad had a spike a few months back and took out his refrigerator control board and a cheap TV. The two together cost about what the EMS unit would have. The other thing it'll do is give me a little more piece of mind if I try to run two AC units on 30A. If the voltage drops to dangerous levels, it'll kill the power. Good insurance even if it's never needed.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:10 AM   #7
Canadian Member

I also installed a hard wired Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C. I went a lot of years without one using our old 1999 Coleman popup but that popup had no electrical appliances other than a small refrigerator. When we moved up to a hybrid I joined this forum and bought the EMS. Since then, including this past weekend, the EMS has detected a low voltage condition (less than 104V) on numerous occasions. Although it can be a bit frustrating when the EMS shuts down power, I know it's protecting my expensive appliances. Progressive Industries has both 30A and 50A EMSs in both hard wired and portable versions.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 06:14 AM   #8

There are a lot of expensive electronics on these new trailers. Two a/c units, big refrig, two tv's, all kinds of things. To not spend $350 to protect them seems too frivolous for my tastes.

I opted for the portable unit. Two left hands, 9 thumbs, and no brain, I wasn't going to tackle wiring it into my new baby. Besides, if it ever does its job and fries totally, I can just unplug it, throw it away, and open the new box from P.I. and install!! I'm more trusting of my fellow campers. However, I do have a cable run through it and will lock it on the pedestal.

But do get one...........either one..........

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 06:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harveyfamily View Post

I wired my portable into a storage compartment with a plug/receptacle. I can by-pass it if need be or take it out and test a pedestal if I want to.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	surge01.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	276.2 KB
ID:	109626   Click image for larger version

Name:	surge02.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	264.8 KB
ID:	109627  
Old 05-31-2016, 09:07 AM   #10

I went with a plug in at the post and cable to lock it. The reason I didn't hard wire one is when my Progressive took a hit and quite working and it was the second day of our trip. If was hard wire it would be a hassle to rewire then you have to come up with some sort of surge protection. I just ran down to the nearest Camping World and grab a different cheaper protector(Surge Guard) and finished my trip. Now I carry two but use my Progressive as primary. Progressive was great in fixing and returning it but does take time.
Sold 2016 Keystone Montana 3711FL
Sold - 2015 Crusader 315RST 5th Wheel -
2015 Ford F350 SRW Cargo Capacity 3744
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote