Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2015, 11:46 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 333
Suspension Enhancement

Thoughts/Suggestions:
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 w/5th wheel.
I installed Timbrens on rear which gave me a very rough ride over bumps but helped the rear sag.
Remove Timbrens and installed rear air bags. Inflated to 35psi also tried 50psi. There seems to be more sway but the ride is better.
Ideas Please?


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
__________________

__________________
mfMcFroggierPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 11:50 AM   #2
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
If you still have P rated tires, I would strongly suggest some LT LR D or E tires.
__________________

__________________
OldCoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 01:31 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
If you still have P rated tires, I would strongly suggest some LT LR D or E tires.
I'd have to agree.
Most likely a p rated tire issue.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded, 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "9 nights"
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 06:48 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 333
I will consider the tire type change when time comes to replace them.
Good Idea, Thank You


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
__________________
mfMcFroggierPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 06:51 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 333
I just got back from a short trip, set air bags at 80 psi and it was awful. Made suspension to stiff.
50 psi seems to be about right.

Any thoughts on aftermarket sway bars? Dealer said, one is not available from GM.


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
__________________
mfMcFroggierPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 07:01 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfMcFroggierPod View Post
I just got back from a short trip, set air bags at 80 psi and it was awful. Made suspension to stiff.
50 psi seems to be about right.

Any thoughts on aftermarket sway bars? Dealer said, one is not available from GM.


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
You didn't answer about the tires.
If you have p rated tires no suspension mod will help .

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded, 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "9 nights"
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 07:14 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 333
They are P rated tires.
Your probably right on track with the LT vs sway with the P's. All my other trucks had LT's.


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
__________________
mfMcFroggierPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 07:15 PM   #8
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
You didn't answer about the tires.
If you have p rated tires no suspension mod will help. TURBS
Agree 100%. As long as you have P tires on the truck, you will have sway regardless of any & everything you can add to the truck. Listen to the posts of experienced folks. You're fighting a loosing battle.
__________________
OldCoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 07:33 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 333
My original reason for the mods was for tail sag. It seems I'll either get a harsh ride or a little sway. The add-on did solve some of it but created others...

And why is it that manufactures don't put LT's on 1500 trucks? More than likely they will be used to tow or haul loads.

Do it right the first time...
Just buy a 3/4 ton truck like I had before.

Thank You for the input, it is much appreciated.


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
__________________
mfMcFroggierPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 07:50 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Ford Idaho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Idaho
Posts: 9,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfMcFroggierPod View Post
My original reason for the mods was for tail sag. It seems I'll either get a harsh ride or a little sway. The add-on did solve some of it but created others...

And why is it that manufactures don't put LT's on 1500 trucks? More than likely they will be used to tow or haul loads.

Do it right the first time...
Just buy a 3/4 ton truck like I had before.

Thank You for the input, it is much appreciated.


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
A one ton is not much more money over the 3/4.
Go to one of the big three and build two, one a 3/4 the other a one ton.
__________________

__________________
2016 F350 6.7L LB CC Reese 28K 2014 Chaparral Lite 266sab
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." 2014 19 days camping 2015 17 days camping201620 days camping
Ford Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
suspension

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:35 AM.