Old 05-10-2019, 06:38 PM   #1
Popup graduate

Suspension Upgrades Wildcat Maxx 23DKS

Before moving up from a popup to a Wildcat Maxx 23KDS TT I read through the forum about various issues, especially suspension issues and tire issues. After weighing the new TT with full cargo and 70 gallons of fresh water, the heaviest loaded tires were at 71% of capacity. The tires were one year old when I bought the TT and I thought I could get through a couple of seasons with the factory suspension and tires. Turns out I was wrong. After having the TT four months and 1800 miles, we had a blowout. We didnít hear a big bang but the TPMS alarmed and pressure showed 0 psig so I eased on the brakes to pull over. Because the blown tire was not supporting any weight it immediately locked up when I braked. I think the TPMS alert and the tire locking up saved us from any trailer damage because the tire didnít have time to come apart. We stopped at a nearby Americaís Tire to have the remaining tires inspected and two more tires showed bulges. We purchased four 15Ē Carlisle Radial Trail HD load range Eís to replace the load range Dís.

After the blowout I went ahead with planned suspension upgrades; Morryde CRE3000, heavy duty shackles, Never Fail bushings, Joy Rider shocks, and Correct Track alignment kit. The Correct Track alignment kit was installed to give us more ground clearance and to allow for 16Ē tires in the future if we think we need more cushion for the trailerís 10,400 GVWR. After disassembling the factory suspension we found the bushings were about 50% worn and one of the shackles was worn almost half way through. I think the shackle bolt was allowed to spin during trailer assembly stripping out the shackle and the bolt serrations were acting like a file and wearing through the shackle.

Installation of the Joy Rider shock kit required rerouting of the propane line that runs back to the furnace. I disassembled the propane line between the tee for the kitchen stove and the furnace and moved part of the propane line toward the middle of the trailer using steel angle to support the propane line.

Here are a couple pictures of the mods. I will be adding cross bracing to the spring hangers and doing some paint touch ups next time I get the trailer out of storage. The Morryde CRE3000 and the Joy Ride shocks noticeably smooth out the trailer ride. The truck doesn't get jerked around nearly as much when going over road irregularities, the trailer doesn't continually bounce around, and items in the trailer don't get upended.

Tags
cat, suspension, upgrade, wildcat