Old 01-27-2013, 12:10 PM   #1

Table Installation on Wall

I am going to take out my bunk beds in my 2008 palomino and put in a mini office and I think I am going to use this fold down table along with a file cabinet and a few other storage ideas.

But my question is regarding the fasteners. Which should I use? I read up on all the options at RV fastener guide but I am still not feeling confident.

halibut3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:13 PM   #2

The use of a pop rivet is an interesting idea. But I would remain skeptical until I tried a test on a scrap of thin plywood (as used in an RV). Normally, when using pop rivets with sheet metal or plastic, you use a washer on the back side. The rivets bulge out on the back by the head of the pin as the tool pulls it through. I have to wonder if the rivet bulges much in just the relatively soft plywood (luan). Sounds like it might very well work though for light to medium weight things.

For heavier items like say a table, you need to anchor into something solid like a wall stud or piece of cabinetry (end of kitchen counter, eg.). You can find a stud in a wall by several methods. All of the fasteners in the photo on that website won't work because they are designed for 1/2-5/8" drywall. The toggle bolt would work though and would be an acceptable fastener, but they are going to require a wide hole that won't be easy to patch if you want the fastener off.

Incidentally, I found that if you try and glue something to wood-finished luan and "faux" finished wood (has cheap softwood core) as in cabinets, normal glues don't stick. Seems like the faux finish has some kind of teflon-like coating. Argh. I could not get Velcro to stick to it to save my life, even with adding a glue. Construction adhesive won't stick. Have not tried crazy glue. So, a word of caution, if you try afix a hook or something to this type of plywood, it may *look* okay but it may well fall right off.

Old 01-27-2013, 01:41 PM   #3
Owner/Operator

There is a Pop Rivet that we used in a LOT of RV applications on thin material. It's called an "Oscar Rivet", and though originally introduced by Dometic, I think you can find them elsewhere a bit cheaper.

It is designed for use where you cannot get behind the surface to install a washer for strain relief on a pop rivet. We've used these for just about everything, including window awning installation.

If there is limited space behind the surface, you can begin to slowly expand the rivet as you push it in.

Here's a link to give you an idea.

http://www.americanrvcompany.com/Dom...RV_p_3162.html

RodeoGeorge
Old 01-27-2013, 02:57 PM   #4

wa3pnt, thanks for that info. They sound great and should the answer in a lot of applications in an RV. I'm guessing that the aluminum shaft must be thinner metal. The next time I need to mount something where's there's no solid backing, I'll try them.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:12 PM   #5
Owner/Operator

Just for clarification on how they work, instead of the shaft "bulging" like a normal pop rivet, the shaft is slotted, and expands into a "star" type configuration inside the wall which then pulls up to the wall in the rear to provide a larger holding surface.

RodeoGeorge