Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2014, 02:15 PM   #1
Explorer

TailLights, PorchLight and soon UtilityLights

I cracked a tail light while washing the camper so it was a perfect time to upgrade to LEDs. As long as I was working back there I added backup lights. Trying to pull the backup light wire to the original fixtures was difficult so I went with separate backups a little lower. All the lights look very nice, supper bright, should help out for safety.
I bought 2 extra backup lights planning to install one on the divers side for “hook-ups” and the other in the front for connecting/disconnecting the TV. I plan to run the switches just inside the entry door( back of the table’s bench seat) for easy access. I am thinking of even running a third switch to the back-up lights as long as I’m running wire. When I’m done I’ll have LED utility lights for front, back, drivers side and we already have the LED motion detector porch light on the passenger side( door-side).
The porch light is new too, I put it in last winter and love it. I leave it on all the time and it gives us plenty light when we need it. Plus it has some smart features that I feel help with security, beyond the motion light. The light fixture has super bright colored LEDs that indicate state of use. If It’s dark the blue light flashes in a ready mode every 10sec, if its light outside(day time) a green LED flashes and if the house battery is low a red LED will flash(never seen it). These brightly flashing colored LEDs give me a sense of security, appearing to be part of some type of security alarm system.
My dad had the old version of this porch light(not LED) that would come on for up to 30sec then turn off to reset its self for several seconds an come back on if motion was detected. They didn’t love it, even found it dangerous(turning off while moving around outside), but they contacted the company and got a longer timer, maybe two minutes(I forget), they were happier. This NEWER version stays on until there is no motion detected then it goes 15/30/60sec before timing out, I went with 60sec. I love this light: I love the color of the light, I love the amount of light and I love the distance it detects motion and it doesn’t seem to pull many amps, oh ya and I love the brightly colored LED that flash.
Do I have to give a disclaimer, “I am in no way affiliated the manufacture of this porch light”
Travel Safe All
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NewTailLights_web.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	66701   Click image for larger version

Name:	PorchLight_web.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	178.5 KB
ID:	66702  
43yrs of camping; one lucky guy
YoungKopernik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 02:31 PM   #2

Make / Model and store. (Can't be a manufacturer rep if you don't tell us what the product is)
Old 11-21-2014, 06:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by deartruc View Post
Make / Model and store. (Can't be a manufacturer rep if you don't tell us what the product is)
^ what he said.
Old 11-21-2014, 06:55 PM   #4

Nicely done!
GlacierGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 09:40 PM   #5

I have bought some cheaper LEDs in the past and some of them flicker. Have you come in contact with any of these?

2005 Flagstaff FS26
2006 GMC Sierra Denali 6.0L
johngoat2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 12:27 PM   #6
Explorer

Deartruc, the porch light is by Starbright, I cant find my receipt and I forget where I bought it(online). I do remember I paid a chunk more for one with an LED main bulb. The tail lights and backups came from E-Trailer online(I have part#s).
Johng… which LED light did you have a flicker issue with and could it have been a connection problem, ground or something?
My porch light has never flickered. I have the cheap China LEDs in the house and they don’t flicker, not super happy with their color or brightness but for the price…. The cheap LEDs from China looked like I could have made them in my garage, they work but cosmetically and quality not great. The LED that came in the Starbright appears manufactured with better quality control and I like it much more for color and brightness.
Both designs of LED could have come from China probably more a case of, you get what you pay for
I haven’t had the tail lights long but as I have tested them both with a jumper wire and connected to the TV they seem to be fine. Hope I don’t have to worry about them bouncing down the road.
Thanks All
John
43yrs of camping; one lucky guy
YoungKopernik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 11:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungKopernik View Post
Deartruc, the porch light is by Starbright, I cant find my receipt and I forget where I bought it(online). I do remember I paid a chunk more for one with an LED main bulb. The tail lights and backups came from E-Trailer online(I have part#s).
Johng… which LED light did you have a flicker issue with and could it have been a connection problem, ground or something?
My porch light has never flickered. I have the cheap China LEDs in the house and they don’t flicker, not super happy with their color or brightness but for the price…. The cheap LEDs from China looked like I could have made them in my garage, they work but cosmetically and quality not great. The LED that came in the Starbright appears manufactured with better quality control and I like it much more for color and brightness.
Both designs of LED could have come from China probably more a case of, you get what you pay for
I haven’t had the tail lights long but as I have tested them both with a jumper wire and connected to the TV they seem to be fine. Hope I don’t have to worry about them bouncing down the road.
Thanks All
John

I got them online. I'm not real sure what the brand name was, but I know they were from China. I put them in the license plate lights and the interior of my TV. A friend of mine bought some extras off of me said he was having the same problems, so I don't think it's a truck problem...

2005 Flagstaff FS26
2006 GMC Sierra Denali 6.0L
johngoat2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light