Install went very easy and I have done a short trip and all went well, not to the snow because us Northern Californians have none. The insulation held up perfectly to freeway speeds, I’ll be watching closely.
When the heat pads came they were labeled as 5.9amp/dc not 4.3; bigger is better.
My 3 hour project did take more like 10 hours. Finding a durable insulation that could with stand being under the camper, adhesives to hold it in place and a good pattern to cut the insulation and locating the switches in an appropriate location, took most of my time(do it right the first time)
I did the wiring first. I installed and labeled three switches w/lights on the converter, I wanted the lights to remind me to turn them off. 5-17 amps/dc would quickly drain my batteries without shore or TV power.
I cut a hole in the converter cover and installed a plexiglass window to see the switches.
I had open fuse slots and installed one 20amp fuse to run all three heaters. There were already wires running through the floor behind the converter so those were easy to follow under the camper.
Tank clean up was easy. Planned to insulate so I cleaned the whole tank and framing around tanks with scuff pads and alcohol.
The heat elements came on neoprene with a sticky back. I installed the heat pads on flat areas as close to the outlets as possible. The sticky back holds extremely well but I added aluminum tape on the edges, just seemed like the thing to do.
Insulating took a little finesse around the hoses and level-indicator-wires. I worked with a smaller piece first to nicely go around all the obstacles and then went back with a large piece to fully cover with minimal seams. I was able to tuck insulation above the tank on all sides and under the cross member, should hold well, but I will be watching closely for quite a while.
The only hose I insulated was the pump feed. I used neoprene flexible hose insulation and then covered that with insulation and aluminum tape.
I decided not to insulate the grey or black tanks. The 2 ½ ft pipe run from the grey tank to the valve does worry me, I’ll just have to see.
I have to say I am a little disappointed with the location of the fill hose on the FW. It goes in the side about 80% up. The air bleed is 85% up the side of the tank. I can only believe I am not getting the full capacity of my 48gl tank. My old Terry filled in the top, even the pump came from a draw-tube through the top. I always kind of wondered why the Wildwood’s FW is 48gl and the GW is 35gl but maybe this is why; my FW is only filling to 38-40gl.
2011 Wildwood T26BHXL
2004 Yukon XL Denali
43yrs of camping; one lucky guy