Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2015, 11:51 AM   #1

The start of the mods!

After just a couple of weeks I have changed all the interior lights to LEDs. Even if you don't worry about heat and battery usage the LED's are much brighter and really make the camper more inviting. I also added a strip of LED's along the wall in the front storage that is connected to the light that was in there so there is light down the entire length of the space. Now I can see from either side!

I tried to replace the two large outdoor lights on the TT. The one by the hitch and the porch litgh but they have different bases then the rest. Ones in the cabin are T10 sockets but the ones on the outside are like BA9S but bigger. I have to get adapters. If you are interested in any of the details about what and where to buy, just ask.

The next mod on the list is a place to put my batteries. The space for the batteries is just big enough for two group 24 batteries. Not even big enough for a the two of them in the battery boxes. I want to use two group 27's. The only thing I can think of is to try to mount them above the frame? Any other suggestions?

Ed

Bianchina3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 12:21 AM   #2

Build a new box for them or go with some 6v

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
wickedwyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 12:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bianchina3 View Post
The next mod on the list is a place to put my batteries. The space for the batteries is just big enough for two group 24 batteries. Not even big enough for a the two of them in the battery boxes. I want to use two group 27's. The only thing I can think of is to try to mount them above the frame? Any other suggestions?
I have the same problem. Combining suggestions from others here I built a frame from perforated angle iron and used self-tapping screws to attach it to the top of the frame. It straddles the existing rack.

Being perforated I could bolt it together at the corners without drilling. It required only a hacksaw and spray paint. The perforations make it easy to use rubber tarp straps to hold down the batteries

Be aware that if the rack extends beyond the edges of the trailer frame it may interfere with your weight-distributing hitch. My BlueOx rotates rather than flips up. I have enough clearance but it altered how I rotate it.

I made my rack wide enough for 2 group 27 batteries in boxes and 1 group 24 box. The middle box is where I mounted my battery selector switch and store stuff like bungie cords. It's screwed down on the rack and has a latching top. That extra box adds to the width. Yours may differ.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 01:43 PM   #4

Be careful with the rubber straps. Most of them will deteriorate and crack in the sunshine. Mine only lasted one year.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
wickedwyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 09:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwyrm View Post
Be careful with the rubber straps. Most of them will deteriorate and crack in the sunshine. Mine only lasted one year.
Thanks for the warning.

They'll be exposed only when I'm camping. I store the batteries at home and the straps in a closed battery box at the front of the trailer. As I'll be mounting and dismounting them every trip, I'll be able to judge if they're failing.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 12:35 PM   #6

On our 29RE I added an additional light inside each of the side storage areas, another one in the front storage area and one new one on the outside front storage door. This is handy when coming home at night......J
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
modifications