Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2017, 07:23 AM   #21
Kasual Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ov845 View Post
Can you open the shade without opening the door?
Obviously not. The shade is integrated into the door behind the screen door so you would have to open that first.
JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 07:43 AM   #22

JayArras, how easily does the blind move in the track? Does it glide smoothly or is it pretty stiff? I'm thinking about a way to open & close with the door closed-- through the screen. The other post, with the roll up shade hanging by magnets gave me the idea.

If the shade doesn't require too much force, it would be possible to put magnets on the bottom bar, then magnets on a strip of wood as a handle. Use the magnets to grab the shade magnets through the screen, then pull up or down without having to open the door!

Of course, it all depends on how hard the shade is to slide. If it takes two hands to move then it's doubtful that the magnets would hold well enough to move the shade. If it is tight (but not too tight), it would be possible to put magnets on each end, to double the holding power and put the force as close as possible to the rails. What do you think?
david_reaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 08:07 AM   #23

After looking around for magnets, I think this is very doable. Here's one magnet that has 65 pound force holding power. The channel it is in would make it easy to install. That would also protect the magnet from chipping or getting broken.

65 LB Holding Power Neodymium Channel Magnet MCLN-325

The magnets are cheap enough to get a couple of different sizes to find the right balance of holding power vs difficulty pulling the magnets apart. I think some sort thin surface over the magnets (clear packing tape?) would help reduce friction wear on the screen fabric itself.

If I can convenience my wife that we need the clear window and shade, then I will definitely try the magnetic handle! The most difficult part will be cutting/routing a channel in the wooden handle to recess the magnet.
Old 07-30-2017, 08:54 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_reaves View Post
After looking around for magnets, I think this is very doable. Here's one magnet that has 65 pound force holding power. The channel it is in would make it easy to install. That would also protect the magnet from chipping or getting broken.

65 LB Holding Power Neodymium Channel Magnet MCLN-325

The magnets are cheap enough to get a couple of different sizes to find the right balance of holding power vs difficulty pulling the magnets apart. I think some sort thin surface over the magnets (clear packing tape?) would help reduce friction wear on the screen fabric itself.

If I can convenience my wife that we need the clear window and shade, then I will definitely try the magnetic handle! The most difficult part will be cutting/routing a channel in the wooden handle to recess the magnet.

My wife and I were recently at a RV dealer that had that on display. It seemed to move fairly easy. The concern I'd have would be the screen possibly stretching under the tension over time. The gap between screen door and the door itself is about an inch or so. Placing a metal strip on the shade and 2 strong magnets sandwiching the screen, the one between the screen and the door should be long enough to make contact with the metal strip (of course like you stated, using clear tape on both sides of the screen to reduce friction and wear) should do the trick.
ov845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 02:53 PM   #25
Kasual Kamper

Quote:
JayArras, how easily does the blind move in the track? Does it glide smoothly or is it pretty stiff?
It can be moved with one hand. It's the same type of fabric blind that the other windows have with the two strings running through them.

Quote:
If the shade doesn't require too much force, it would be possible to put magnets on the bottom bar, then magnets on a strip of wood as a handle. Use the magnets to grab the shade magnets through the screen, then pull up or down without having to open the door!
I think you're only asking for trouble there. After a while, you'd wear a hole in the screen. Plus it will pull and fatigue the screening material every time you separated the two doors. Bad idea!
Old 07-30-2017, 03:37 PM   #26

Reflectix

with our dark windows no one can see inside during the daytime, and we like that, ..... but night is another story, anytime its lighter inside than outside you can certainly see whats inside, ..... our answer is Reflectix, I have sized pieces of Reflectix for every window including both door windows, ..... when it gets dark I slide them into place and we have total privacy at night, .....for the two door windows, it slides into the grove of the screen doors, .... when all are in place, it is almost impossible to know there are lights on inside of the tt, .... we've done this with all three trailers, we love the results and the privacy at night ......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0462.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	352.3 KB
ID:	146553   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0464.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	392.6 KB
ID:	146554   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0465.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	368.8 KB
ID:	146555   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0470.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	396.1 KB
ID:	146556  

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 03:57 PM   #27

I like a dark room to sleep in. The frosted bedroom window let in too much light.
I bought on of these and it blocks 99% of the light. The window cover is held in place with velcro so you can remove it when needed.

https://www.amazon.com/Shield-Window...YPMX8YHWEB1X2F
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 06:28 PM   #28
Kasual Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fella10 View Post
with our dark windows no one can see inside during the daytime, and we like that, ..... but night is another story, anytime its lighter inside than outside you can certainly see whats inside, ..........
Your trailer didn't come with window shades??
Old 07-30-2017, 07:26 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayArras View Post
After a while, you'd wear a hole in the screen. Plus it will pull and fatigue the screening material every time you separated the two doors. Bad idea!
I'm thinking more of pulling the handle off any time I'm not actually moving the shade. If I buy the window & shade I will probably try the magnets. They are only a few dollars. If it is too much hassle, then I can open the door to change.

Thinking mostly of being able to use it first thing in the morning, before going out (when I'm in my skivvies) and last thing at night, before going to bed (when the mosquitoes are out). If I'm going in and out, then changing the shade won't be much of a problem.

Still, thanks for the comments and the idea of using the shade. I really would like to be able to see out those windows. In my Windjammer, there's not much visibility in the bedroom.
Old 07-30-2017, 08:16 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayArras View Post
Your trailer didn't come with window shades??
of course it did, .... the accordion type that slide up and down with strings on each side and blinds in the bathroom, ... both types are visible in the photos. .... but the Reflectix gives much more privacy than either of those do, .... we prefer the Reflectix, maybe this idea isn't for everybody, but we love it, ....

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:46 PM   #31

I just ordered one of the AP Products Slim Shades. Lots of reviews on Amazon said that there were no instructions included. Searched a little and found this:

Slim Shade Instructions

I'll know in a couple of days if these are in the box on newer shipments.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:48 AM   #32
Kasual Kamper

Quote:
I just ordered one of the AP Products Slim Shades. Lots of reviews on Amazon said that there were no instructions included. Searched a little and found this:

Slim Shade Instructions

I'll know in a couple of days if these are in the box on newer shipments.
Thanks for posting this! It certainly would have helped me last week when I installed mine (especially the part about taping the glass---I nearly broke mine TWICE before finally decided to tape things myself.).
Old 08-02-2017, 09:02 AM   #33

Years ago when I had my Class A I went to Home Depot and purchased a product that looked just like stained glass. It was in a roll like window tint, it's static cling and I just cut it to fit window and applied it just like tint on the outside of door window. Looked just like stained glass and never had a problem with it coming loose traveling down the road. As I remember it was about $30.00 for the kit and I had lots left over.
Decon Blue is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, window