Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2007, 09:38 AM   #1

Tinting Trailer Windows

I decided to take the plunge after reading an article about a member who had purchased upgraded windows on his RV to filter out heat & UV. I got to thinking and I figured for a fraction of the cost that I could essentially do the same.

I did a little research and settled on some top line material by 3M called Prestige:
http://www.3m.com/prestige

Some of my reasons for doing it are:
1) Almost complete (99.9%) reduction in UV rays, which is the largest cause of fading. This will keep the internal fabrics (sofa, cushions, carpet) and any wood looking new for years to come. This will help not only looks, but should keep resale value higher than one with faded fabric.
Also, directly from their webpage: "You can always pull the blinds, but what is the use of having windows if you can't enjoy the view?"

2) Reduction in heat buildup. This will make it easier for the A/C unit to keep the same comfort level at reduced energy usage.

3) A bit more privacy. Mid-afternoon clothing changes can now be done without closing all of the blinds. Also, now I can upgrade the TV and stereo system

4) Security. Yeah, they could probably jimmy the main door easier than breaking a window, but window film really does strengthen the glass and keeps shards from going everywhere in the event of breakage.

I'm using the PR40 material which has the highest solar energy rejection. It also has lower internal reflectivity than glass, which means at night it is easier to see outside rather than seeing a reflection of yourself in the glass.

Anyway, I bought the material on Monday and have been taking my time putting it in this week. I've been getting 1-2 windows done a night after work, in between dinner and before dark. It's really pretty easy to do it yourself, because all of the windows are completely flat. I've done a really nice job and am happy with the results versus paying someone to put it in for me.

Anyway, I should be done with it either tonight or tomorrow. I'll try to snap some pictures of before & after. So far, I'm really happy with the way it is turning out.
jenielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 01:35 PM   #2

Sounds like this could turn out to be a money making
venture for you. If the job turns out really well you
might look at cost of materials and your pics from your
camper as a portfolio. Maybe do one or two other freebie
or low cost jobs, (friends, family, ect..) Then launch a nice
home based biz. Can't wait to see the pics.

Nina
Hitched up to a White 1999 F-150 Ext. Cab
Number of days camped in 2014-2
(4 more days reserved)
NINA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 02:13 PM   #3

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I doubt it'll ever come to that.

I'd do friend's trailers for some beer, but I don't have enough time to take on a venture like that. Besides, there's way too many guys out there that do this full time. It's not hard work, but it is time consuming if you don't have everything laid out right.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenielsen View Post
I'd do friend's trailers for some beer
mmmmmmmmmm beer.............................................
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 08:43 PM   #5

Send a message via MSN to welshman599
ours are already tinted, otherwise I'd follow your lead. I've installed the 3m stuff on cars and a flat RV window would be a relative breeze. Still takes patience though, doesn't it!

PS. The beer comes afterward, trust me! Otherwise, you're realize in the morning that you tinted the bathroom mirror.
welshman599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 09:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by welshman599 View Post
ours are already tinted
Yep. Same here.

Quote:
PS. The beer comes afterward, trust me! Otherwise, you're realize in the morning that you tinted the bathroom mirror.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:00 PM   #7

Got it all done this weekend. Looks great, in my opinion. From the outside of the trailer casually looking in, with all of the shades open during middle of a sunny afternoon, you can make out the outline of a person in the trailer, but that's about it. I'll try to get some of the pictures uploaded, but I'm happy.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenielsen View Post
Got it all done this weekend. Looks great, in my opinion. From the outside of the trailer casually looking in, with all of the shades open during middle of a sunny afternoon, you can make out the outline of a person in the trailer, but that's about it. I'll try to get some of the pictures uploaded, but I'm happy.
One hint.... don't get complacent about your blinds. You're only an outline in the daytime, but you are TOTALLY visible at night with the trailer lights on. You and the wife could be the talk of the campground in the morning if you aren't careful about that little point!!

83 sweet sweet days camped in 2008 - not easy in my neck of the woods!
Old 05-15-2007, 07:26 AM   #9

Quote:
One hint.... don't get complacent about your blinds. You're only an outline in the daytime, but you are TOTALLY visible at night with the trailer lights on. You and the wife could be the talk of the campground in the morning if you aren't careful about that little point!!
WOOOO HOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Party time!!!!!

yep, still like the nanersplit
Old 05-15-2007, 03:12 PM   #10

Been thinking of tinting the windows on out TT also. Just don't have the time right now.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 03:18 PM   #11

I gotcha on the night time blind use. Thanks for the reminder!
Old 05-16-2007, 11:10 PM   #12

So if you don't mind my asking, did you purchase it from a dealer or how did you get it? We looked into this and kinda went on a standstill until we can find it reasonably. Thanks!
Krystal
Old 05-17-2007, 07:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleece View Post
So if you don't mind my asking, did you purchase it from a dealer or how did you get it? We looked into this and kinda went on a standstill until we can find it reasonably. Thanks!
Krystal
Until Jeneilsen responds, I'd check out Automotive 'speed & Sport' shops. 3M film is often carried in those places.

83 sweet sweet days camped in 2008 - not easy in my neck of the woods!
Old 06-12-2007, 09:13 AM   #14

Sorry, I apologize for the lateness of my response.
I always keep forgetting to "subscribe" to these threads...

Anyway, I researched window tint and decided on the 3M Prestige due to it's quality, etc. Then I just went to the Find a Dealer part of the website and found someone local to me. I went over there and told them how much I needed and walked out with it.

One final recommendation. Yes, you can get stuff that is less expensive and still have it do the job. I wanted something guaranteed not to turn purple along with the other qualities noted in my original post. I don't want to have to tear it out and do it again. When I thought about it originally, I didn't want to spend $220 on "window film". The dealer told me point blank that it was an excellent investment, because when they get trailers for trade that have sun-faded furniture/carpet, they immediately decrease the trade value because they know it will be a harder sell to someone else.

Whatever you do, DO NOT buy the stuff you can get in a regular Auto Parts store (Pep Boys, AutoZone, etc). It is thinner stuff that is harder to apply, scratches easier, and will be more headaches than it is worth.