Old 03-25-2011, 11:29 PM   #11

Doesn't matter where it is made, what matters is the STANDARD that it is made to.
A Chinese made tire by a Chinese manufacturer may be of low quality. A Chinese made tire by Goodyear that is made to the same STANDARD of quality as a Goodyear tire made in the US is just as good.

Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Brake Control
brentnrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 12:49 AM   #12
Retired FF

My vote goes with Maxxis. I just replaced all 4 tires on my trailer 3 weeks ago with Maxxis tires that I got from Discount Tire. They had to order them for me, and treated me extremely well. A funny story about what happened when I purchased the tires, I turned down the road hazard "certificates" on the tires trying to save a little money. I left the tire shop and drove the trailer home (about 12 miles) & parked it. The next day, my son-in-law tells me "it looks like one of the new tires is flat", so I go and look & sure enough it couldn't get any flatter. I take the tire off and trot on back to Discount to have it repaired, & they did it for nothing, took the tire off and patched it from the inside. They then asked if I wanted to add road hazard, & i said "you betcha" so for another $50 dollars, I have total replacement, no questions asked for the next 3 years. I have used Discount Tire several times before, and they have ALWAYS been great with their customer service, & have a price match policy too if you find the same tires cheaper elswhere.

Old 03-26-2011, 05:42 AM   #13

Does anyone know if Michelin makes travel trailer tires? I get lost on their web site when I look!
* Happy Campers *
miatared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:04 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

OK, I gotta chime in on this post concerning Chinese tire “quality”.

We bought our Surveyor 2 year ago. Over the next month or so, I took the road tires in for balancing and metal valve stems. Some took ~4oz. of weight, but no big deal, as some of that could have been in the wheel. I took the spare for balancing, and the 1st place said it didn’t balance correctly, but they got it the best they could. I got a 2nd opinion from another shop, and they said they balancing that was done was about as good as it gets since the tire was out of round. Took it to a Goodyear dealer about 45 miles away. The counter man took the tire back, came back and told me that the tire was out of round, but they couldn’t adjust it because the tread was down to 5/32nds. Knowing that I had seen the new tire “paint strip” on the tire, we both viewed the tire and he showed me the 5/32nd measurement, and I showed him the paint strip and new tire nobbies on the tread. The tread on that side measured in at 9/32nds. He called 1 of the installers over to look at the tire, and his comment was something on the line of “Oh yeah, the Chinese manufacturers had been known to ‘buff’ their tires when they came off of the line out of round”……I hope this guy got to keep his job after blurting that out. The counter man called Goodyear, and they denied the claim because of the 5/32nd measurement, even though he explained the situation. He told me he would check with the area Goodyear rep to see what could be done, but didn’t give me much hope. A few days later, the counter man called and said Goodyear had agreed to giving me a new tire………I think they were afraid of me going to the NTSB and BBB with this problem…….which I told the counter man “I guess that was my next step”. I had a little remorse about being “bought out” with a new tire, but notifying the NTSB was questionable, since the tire was probably not any more dangerous that other Chinese tires…….other than shaking all of the screws out of my camper if I ever had to use it. And since they eventually made good on the tire, I really had no reason to go to the BBB.

I have no proof that the Chinese factory did the buffing on the tire, other than what the installer stated was alleged knowledge among the tire industry. This tire had gone through 3, maybe 4 companies before it got to me…..depending on whether Lippert or Forest River installs the tires. But since travel trailer tires are seldom balanced before it reaches the consumer, I seriously doubt that Lippert, Forest River, or the dealer would even know that was out of round. But……it is very suspicious that this tire ended up as a spare and not on the road. I thinking about that, I wonder if Goodyear offers these faulty tires to trailer manufacturers with a deep discount as “spares only” ?? Just speculating there.

And BTW, I did check the tire code, and it was manufactured in Weihai, China.

In all fairness, I will say that I have not yet had a blowout with either Carlisle or Goodyear trailer tires with about 10,000 miles of travel over the last 4 years with 2 different trailers.

It may be impossible, but I hope to find my next set of tires with a U.S. or Canadian code on them. When the tire manufacturers realize that tires made in this hemisphere are selling better than those from elsewhere, just maybe then will take a hint and move our jobs back here.

I will now get off of my soapbox.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:07 AM   #15
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy View Post
I just priced Maxxis and Marathon's with Tire Rack for my Wildwood. They were the same price. My question is which one would you all vote for??
Marathon. Voted with wallet too.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:21 AM   #16

mtnguy, Did your camper come with the Chinese Marathons installed?
Mine came with Duro 'C' rated tires, and that's why I went to 'D' rated Maxxis. I don't really care that they were made in China, as the dealer said they have had very good luck with them. And this is not some big-city slickster dealer.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:20 AM   #17

My initial problem started when I was inspecting my tires and brakes after coming back to Missouri from Santa Fe. I had absolutely no problems with the Carlisle tires but noticed a little wear on them. Checked the inflation and made sure they were maxed out at 50 psi. I made several local trips to the Ozarks and noticed on one of the trips that the outer edge on 2 of the tires (drivers side) were cupping. When I got home I pulled them off and took them to a friend who works with tires daily. Upon inspecting closer the tires were cupping both inside and outside. The first thing he asked was what I was running the pressures at. He put the wheels on the balancer and gave it a manual spin. One of the tires was way out of whack. It wobbled from side to side. He checked the wheel and it was dead on true. Not only was the tire out of "alignment" it was a little out of round. I ran home and pulled the spare (never been on the ground). He put it on the machine. It wasn't a bad but it had some issues. He balanced all 5 tires and we rotated them to see if they would wear more true. I haven't pulled the trailer that far since then but have made a couple of trips south. Tires appear to be doing OK but I really want to get away from the bias ply tires and get the radials. As well as the peace of mind in case me and the DW head up to Idaho this summer.

That is the gest of my question. I just want a good round and aligned tire that I don't have to worry about, bottom line.

Thanks for everyone's response. I think the consensus is get the newest possible tire whether it's from China, Japan or the Good Ole US of A.

Pat
Old 03-26-2011, 11:24 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
mtnguy, Did your camper come with the Chinese Marathons installed?
Yes.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 11:40 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentnrobin View Post
Doesn't matter where it is made, what matters is the STANDARD that it is made to.
A Chinese made tire by a Chinese manufacturer may be of low quality. A Chinese made tire by Goodyear that is made to the same STANDARD of quality as a Goodyear tire made in the US is just as good.
Please let us know when your Chinese Good Years start blowing out and how much damage your trailer encounters.
Like I said before there are literally hundreds of posts on this subject all over the net. The consensus is that any tires made in China can and will eventually blow out causing all sorts of damage. The heavier the trailer the worse the problem. So if you have a 20 foot loaded trailer that weight 3000 pounds you can probably get away with them. If your trailer is 10K or more it is a ticking time bomb.
As for whether Michelin makes a trailer tire? Yes, the XPS Rib series are commercial trailer certified. Also BF Goodrich Commercial TA's are commercial trailer rated. Hankook, (made in Korea) also have trailer tires that have a good reputation for price and durability.
Old 03-26-2011, 02:46 PM   #20

ALL tires regardless of country of origin must meet D.O.T. specs............my problem is that noone is ever notified when failures are starting to be frequent for any type/brand/origin...........why should we have to rely on forums to compare notes??