Old 06-03-2011, 05:54 PM   #51

RetiredEd, I think you'll be happy with the Maxxis tires.
May I ask why you are changing axles?

Old 06-04-2011, 10:33 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
RetiredEd, I think you'll be happy with the Maxxis tires.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
May I ask why you are changing axles?
Two years ago during trip to Mt Rushmore had major problems, Murphy followed us the whole trip. On the way up there (1,600 mi to MR) noticed wear on outer edge of front starboard tire. Rotated tires and continued on. By the time we got back to San Antonio the outer edge of the second tire was down to smooth rubber. AlKo said so-sad-too-bad cause warrantee long gone. Looked like camber problem on starboard side. So front axle needed replacement (SW-Trailer said could straighten, but no guarantee, and expected that it would bend back again). My take is that the swing arm is pulling away from the axle housing 1/8-1/4" and allowing bend.
Part of problems on that trip included losing both bearings on port rear wheel, tore up spindle etc. etc... I packed all 4 wheels before start of trip so didn't expect this. Did field fix, used gland nut to chase out threads, files and emery cloth to polish spindle until new bearing would go on, and oh did I mention 3 hours to get races out of hub and off of spindle. We made the 1,600 miles home without problems.
Rockwood came with 3,500# axles, and wheels and tires rated for 7K total. As noted before I got rid of the wheels and tires. Put the trailer on the scales first trip out and got 7,860# total on the tandem set. I'm one of those that carries full water tank (We've been stuck in the desert before). My feeling is that axles are underrated and need some reserve same as wheels and tires so...
Dexter TorFlex 4-6K #11 axles, with 5,200# rating ea, running 16" 6 bolt. Until I get it all installed and loaded I don't know what the weight's going to be. I'd guess that with my XYL's bringing half the house it will be a little over 8K for this summerís trip.
I'm going outside now to set up alignment on the new rear axle, it's only 86deg at 9:30.

Steve.

Old 06-04-2011, 11:01 AM   #53

Nice response from AL-KO, NOT!
I wonder if the rubber "spings" inside that axle end just wore out? I never could understand how they wouldn't wear and put the tires out of alignment.
Of course we have no choice if we want a particular camper, we get what they provide.
We have 4000 lb axles, which I also consider a bit light. I doubt that we're overloaded, but there isn't much spare capacity.
I imagine one day we will be upgrading as well.
Good luck with the alignment!