Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2017, 03:08 PM   #1

Tire upgrade

i couldn't take one more thread that said
"MY CHINA BOMB TIRES WENT KABOOM!"

Removed my Westlake tires & Installed Carlisle E/10 rated tires.

Not a glamorous upgrade but a peace of mind upgrade.

-------------------
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4230.jpg
Views:	708
Size:	397.0 KB
ID:	146759  
2015 Rockwood 8289WS Diamond Pkg
2015 Puma 253FBS (sold)
2013 BMW R1200GSW
tmfaulksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 07:17 PM   #2

Here is the finished product
whew!whew!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4233.jpg
Views:	666
Size:	477.2 KB
ID:	146791  
2015 Puma 253FBS (sold)
2013 BMW R1200GSW
Old 08-03-2017, 09:07 AM   #3

Finally got rid of the consistency booms and brought some made in USA tires. I brought the new goodyear endurance in 225/75 r15. These are higher load range and stronger side wall. Just did a trip up to NH and back on them. I feel stupid for waiting so long to make this purchase. Tires are stiffer and dont sag near as much. I feel a stronger ride altogether. I paid $118 a piece and feel it was well worth it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170715_150603.jpg
Views:	640
Size:	413.3 KB
ID:	146940  
Phat Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:24 AM   #4
Kasual Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmfaulksr View Post
i couldn't take one more thread that said
"MY CHINA BOMB TIRES WENT KABOOM!"

Removed my Westlake tires & Installed Carlisle E/10 rated tires.
Where do you think Carlisle tires are made? Unless they say "Made in the USA" on the sidewall, they likely came from China too. Goodyear Marathons are guaranteed to be 100% U.S.A. made.
JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:26 AM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayArras View Post
Where do you think Carlisle tires are made? Unless they say "Made in the USA" on the sidewall, they likely came from China too. Goodyear Marathons are guaranteed to be 100% U.S.A. made.
Not Marathons... Endurance.

The Marathons are not known to be good tires.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:10 AM   #6
Kasual Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Not Marathons... Endurance.

The Marathons are not known to be good tires.
Tire Rack users rate the Marathons 3.5 out of 5. The Endurance are new are are not yet rated.
Old 08-03-2017, 10:25 AM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Tire Rack users rate the Marathons 3.5 out of 5. The Endurance are new are are not yet rated.
My point is... only the Goodyear Endurance in made in the USA, not the Marathon.

IIRC, the Marathon has bounced around as to where it has been made but with the introduction of the Endurance, this is what Goodyear says on its own website...

"“Goodyear is proud and excited to introduce the Endurance, the only radial special trailer tire built in the United States,” said Ryan Patterson, president of Goodyear’s North American consumer tire business."

I'm speculating the Marathon will be phased out, wherever it is made.

Old 08-03-2017, 10:36 AM   #8

I will keep everyone up to date on the Endurance but first 700 miles tells me its a no brainer. My trailer is on the heavy side at around 10k so it is a good test unit.
Phat Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:39 AM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat Steve View Post
I will keep everyone up to date on the Endurance but first 700 miles tells me its a no brainer. My trailer is on the heavy side at around 10k so it is a good test unit.
Me too!
Mine are going on today!

Old 08-04-2017, 10:55 PM   #10

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat Steve View Post
Finally got rid of the consistency booms and brought some made in USA tires. I brought the new goodyear endurance in 225/75 r15. These are higher load range and stronger side wall. Just did a trip up to NH and back on them. I feel stupid for waiting so long to make this purchase. Tires are stiffer and dont sag near as much. I feel a stronger ride altogether. I paid $118 a piece and feel it was well worth it.
On our summer trip to Navarre Beach, we took our camper & my brother pulled his there also & we did the family thing. great fun. on the way up my brother had a blow out so during our vacation we pulled all 4 wheels off & had new Endurance Goodyears mounted & we installed. he said pulling it home was awesome & has eliminated all sway. My other brother is a Carlisle Dealer so the price could not be beat for a great tire.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3812e.jpg
Views:	494
Size:	370.2 KB
ID:	147203   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0071e.jpg
Views:	619
Size:	323.1 KB
ID:	147204  
2015 Puma 253FBS (sold)
2013 BMW R1200GSW
Old 08-06-2017, 06:37 AM   #11
Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmfaulksr View Post
[ATTACH][/ATTACH]

On our summer trip to Navarre Beach, we took our camper & my brother pulled his there also & we did the family thing. great fun. on the way up my brother had a blow out so during our vacation we pulled all 4 wheels off & had new Endurance Goodyears mounted & we installed. he said pulling it home was awesome & has eliminated all sway. My other brother is a Carlisle Dealer so the price could not be beat for a great tire.
Your brother is a Carlisle dealer but you said you installed Goodyear Endurance. The reason I ask is I have been reading some good things about the Carlisle Radial Trail HD trailer tires.

TV - 2006 F350 6.0 DRW CC
TT - 2018 Wildwood 31KQBTS
Macrosill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 07:19 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrosill View Post
Your brother is a Carlisle dealer but you said you installed Goodyear Endurance. The reason I ask is I have been reading some good things about the Carlisle Radial Trail HD trailer tires.
this is a great question.
Navarre Beach is six (6) hours from our home.
There was no way to take advantage of my older brother's access to Carlisles.
The Goodyear dealer was .3 of a mile away & sold them (to my younger brother)
for $501.00 mounted & balanced on rims. We performed the installation at our campsite.
(tire size-205x75r15)

I had been wanting to upgrade and Carlisle tires have a wonderful reputation for quality & dealer response.
So for me the choice was easy and if i told you what i paid for the set i would have to kill you.... hahahahahaha
I also sold my "like knew" Westlake takeoffs for $125 to someone putting them on a small farm trailer.

I hope this brings some clarity for our decisions all the way around.
tmfaulksr
2015 Puma 253FBS (sold)
2013 BMW R1200GSW
Old 08-06-2017, 07:20 PM   #13
Camper

Thanks for the clarification.

TV - 2006 F350 6.0 DRW CC
TT - 2018 Wildwood 31KQBTS
Macrosill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 12:28 AM   #14

These tire threads sure do have some interesting stories behind them.... I will keep mine short: On one trip I blew one of the Marathons, and on another trip I blew 2 of the 22.5 inch Goodyears on a class A coach going through the desert...within an hr of each other....with only one spare. All these tires were between 5-7 yrs old. So now I dont run any tires more than 5 years... period. After 4-5 yrs I think all these tires, will implode, when loaded, going 65, through the desert, when its 115. So I took 5 Marathons off my boat trailer last week. The boat has not been used in 3 yrs-date code on them was 2006, and they were made in New Zealand. Great tires. The Travel Trailer tires turned out to be around 6 yrs old, (I just purchased the 2306 used about 10 months ago) so all 5 had to go also. . Now my Dad left in June for a 2 month trip, and less than 100 miles from home his Carlisle tire went boom. I checked with him and they were 3 yrs old and the first generation of the Carlisle HD's. So he pulled into the nearest tire shop that sold...you guessed it -Goodyears- and bought a set of the new Endurance Radials--so far he has maybe a thousand miles on them and he is pretty happy.
So back to my trailer and boat.....My dilemma was I needed a total of 10 tires for both rigs. I figure Im gonna replace these things in 5 years, I didnt really have the coin for 10 Goodyears so....I went on Amazon and bought (5) 14 inch and (5) 15 inch tires for the trailer and boat for about $50 bucks each. Load range D was cheaper than the C', and when I got them, the date codes were between 4-6 months, so not bad. Mount and balance at my local tire shop was $70 bucks for a set. ( I felt bad, my tire guy couldn't come close to Amazons price) So now I have a whole bunch of Carlisle HD tires....I towed the boat out to Laughlin in 115 degree heat accross that desert. everything went smooth, and I like the way the boat pulled behind my minimal tow vehicle. I took one trip out to the beach with the TT and it pulls very nicely also. The sidewall on these tires is much thicker, but I also upgraded to load range D instead of C. The speed rating is the same as the Endurance Radials. I guess time will tell. Dad and I both got our tires around the same time, we will see how they hold up. I am pleased with the Carlisle HD tires so far.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5984.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	384.0 KB
ID:	147411  
Nights Camped 2016- 15, 2017- 30,2018-27, 2019-36 2020-21
ace911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 08:42 AM   #15

Quote:

JayArras, thanks for your comment.

Carlisle has had tire plants in the USA for many many years. They outsourced certain tires in recent years but maintain their specs and local warranties & service. I say that not from a thread here or there but because my older brother is a Carlisle dealer with real world experience with the brand. Carlisle still does have a strong reputation for quality & service and I can live with that. Additionally, My particular tires were made in 2017 so I am pleased.

Before replacing my tires, I called Westlake to ask about warranties & service anywhere. They rudely told me that they had a 12 month warranty, PERIOD, with no one to service it but their location 5 states away. Not sure anyone is shocked by that information. I just like to know where companies stand on their product.

FYI, My younger brother & I put GY Endurance tires while we vacationed in Florida in May. EMERGENCY PURCHASE as he had a blowout 10 miles from our location. He loves them.

Again, thanks for your comment.
tmfaulk
2015 Puma 253FBS (sold)
2013 BMW R1200GSW
Old 08-07-2017, 08:48 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace911 View Post
These tire threads sure do have some interesting stories behind them.... I will keep mine short: On one trip I blew one of the Marathons, and on another trip I blew 2 of the 22.5 inch Goodyears on a class A coach going through the desert...within an hr of each other....with only one spare. All these tires were between 5-7 yrs old. So now I dont run any tires more than 5 years... period. After 4-5 yrs I think all these tires, will implode, when loaded, going 65, through the desert, when its 115. .............
I am pleased with the Carlisle HD tires so far.

What a story or should I say what 5 stories wrapped in one story.
man oh man what an experience(s).

Ok so lets write a book with multiple contributors of their RV & Tire stories..:.
I know this has been said many times but think about the laughs & the tears.
thanks again
2015 Puma 253FBS (sold)
2013 BMW R1200GSW
Old 08-07-2017, 10:02 AM   #17

Oh Boy! I love to post stuff in tire story threads. Gives readers something to think about.

Nomenclature: A tire “upgrade” is a tire the same size as the Original Equipment (OE) tires with a higher load capacity letter. It meets the requirement for size described on the tire placard and in the vehicle owner’s manual. Even the recommended cold inflation pressures on the tire placard are still valid and the same inflation chart can be used regardless of brand. However, there is a catch. Will the OEM wheels/rims meet the increased inflation pressures necessary to gain more load capacity from them then the OE tires provided?

Nomenclature: “Plus Sizing”. Here, in a very high percentage of applications, the vehicle owner is going to step out of the box and make safety decisions without approval from the vehicle manufacturer or get valid advice from a reputable tire manufacturer/retailer. The key to plus sizing is it’s name. The tire industry standards require plus sized tires to have a load capacity capability equal to or greater than the OE tires. For RV trailer owners there are numerous choices and brands to use without having to cross over to a design that differs from the OE tires. There are obstacles. A savvy retailer/tire installer will know all of them. The selected wheel & tire assembly must fit into the wheel well without being obstructed by the vehicle’s frame. It must also have sufficient clearance between opposing assemblies on dual or triple axle trailers. The information on the original certification label becomes the benchmark for setting the minimum cold recommended inflation pressures for the plus sized tires. Using a tire inflation chart for the replacement tire’s size the installer will set a minimum inflation PSI equal to the load capacity recommended on the certification label. From there to the maximum is an owner’s option. A really good installer will make a notation in the vehicle owner’s manual describing the new tire size and minimum cold inflation pressures. He/she will also use an auxiliary tire placard with the new tire size and inflation pressures and place it adjacent to the original tire placard. That auxiliary placard is authorized by NHTSA.
Old 08-15-2017, 07:14 AM   #18

During an avoidance I went into a sway that blew out both right side tires and took out the wheels as well. In getting things back into shape I found the Lionshead Lynx like TMFAULKSR difficult and expensive to replace. I also found the weight ratings for the wheels and tires on my V-lite were near the edge with not much margin. The wheels and tires (load range C) were rated at 2150 lbs. My trailer can weigh in at 7200 lbs. loaded.
I found through Trailer Tires and Wheels new wheels rated at 2540 lbs. New Carlisle Radial Trail HD, load range D tires were installed on them and now have over 1900 miles. Now I have a much better ride, control and peace of mind.
Wicked Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 07:39 AM   #19

Since we are into tire stories, I will tell you mine.. It is a story of ignorance and a fools luck...

Our previous camper had a mix match of crap tires when we purchased it in 2008. I bought a set of tires for it from e-trailer.com and had them locally mounted and balanced...

Forward to early 2016..We were going on an extended weekend trip to Mobile, AL to watch US Ragin Cajuns Baseball and Softball teams compete in the regional tournament. Prior to departure I checked all the tires and one looked like it may have a bulge so I swapped it for the spare and off we went...NO issues getting there.

At the campground (right on Mobile Bay and VERY nice setting) we noticed one tire was flat. I saw that the tread had separated around the circumference of the tire. Then I looked at the other tires...............ALL of them were separating in the same manner.

Our departure was delayed by a day because we had to have the tires ordered in and mounted to the rims so I could mount them on the camper. I was not about to move that camper a single foot on those tires.

Like I said, ignorant and a fools luck saved us from what could/should have been a disaster.

Our newest camper had Goodyear Marathons on it that were less than a year old. One blew about 15 miles from home. The spare got us to the campground (another 5 miles) and back home. A new set of Maxxis 8008s are on it now and they have about a year on them, zero troubles so far and we just completed a 2900 mile trip to see new Great Granddaughter.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:34 AM   #20
Kasual Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post

Our previous camper had a mix match of crap tires when we purchased it in 2008. I bought a set of tires for it from e-trailer.com and had them locally mounted and balanced...
What brand did they sell you?

Quote:
Forward to early 2016.. I saw that the tread had separated around the circumference of the tire. Then I looked at the other tires...............ALL of them were separating in the same manner.
So I guess the 8-year-old tires were overdue to be replaced.

Tags
tire, upgrade