Old 12-24-2013, 08:35 AM   #1
Tongue jack question

Hey guys. Im a newbie to campers. We have purchased a 2014 rockwood roo 21ss and have been going through the process of learning all about it. Been setting it up in the drive and backyard. This is going to beat the heck out of tents and tarps!

We have a manual tongue jack. I'm really beginning to see the merit in a powered tongue jack but I'm hesitant to spend the money right now. Mainly because we haven't been camping yet and am not sure how our priorities will work themselves out. You know, like a second battery, generator, etc. I'm currently using a heavy duty battery powered drill to lower the stabilizers and was wondering if anyone has done a mod to do the same with the tongue jack. Keep in mind that our trailer has a tongue wt. of between 500 and 600 lbs. I know that the handle will have to be cut and a nut or male adapter welded in place so the drill can be attached as well having something available for a "manual" override. I've been reading through this forum for a month or so now and I know some of you have already thought of this. Very inventive group of people! What do ya think?

perryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 08:51 AM   #2
You could use a drill as long as it's a good strong one but I would save up and go with an electric tongue jack. Very easy to install and very worth it.

Welcome to the forum.

Glen & Lee
Dawsonville, GA
2013 V-Cross Platinum 325VRL
2014 Ford F250 PSD
GlenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 08:54 AM   #3
Haven't seen that mod, my thought is that there is a lot of weight to lift at the tongue and once the drill gets in a bind it will not lift that much weight, stabilizers are meant to be deployed after the trailer is leveled, to "stabilize" not to lift the trailer, I used a cordless on my stabilizers and it works great but the electric tongue jack was probably the first thing I did after cranking up and down hitching and unhitching a few times when I had my TT, it made life a lot easier and worth every cent IMO

Santa Claus my bring you one.......
2013 Sabre 32bhok-6
2012 Ford F250 6.2
B&W Companion
pjones1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:06 AM   #4
The electric tongue jack is also a tremendous help if you're using an Equalizer hitch. The motor went out in a tongue jack I had a few years ago, and hand-cranking the trailer up high enough to get the bars on or off was a REAL chore. After water/sewer hoses and chocks, I think an electric jack would be my next purchase.
2013 Surveyor SP220
2010 Silverado LT 5.3 V8

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:08 AM   #5
I would not try using a drill, a half inch might but a 3/8 would a bit small I think.

I just bought one of these to change flat tires when I get one.
It would do well in moving your jack up and down.

Shop Kobalt 8-Amp 1/2-in Corded Impact Wrench at
2016 F350 6.7L LB CC Reese 28K 2014 Chaparral Lite 266sab
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." 2014 19 days camping 2015 17 days camping201620 days camping
Ford Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 11:29 AM   #6
the electric is nice till it goes out and you cant locate the handle to manually lift the tt. just happened to me on my 2014 model. i was luck i was dropping it of at the dealership for some warranty work
2013 Ram 1500 (5.7)
2014 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
Prothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 11:52 AM   #7
Moderators' Assistant
it would be way simpler to just install an electric tongue jack.
you can get remanufactured ones on Ebay for under $100.

i got my Ultra Fab adjustable foot 3500 jack, on Ebay, for about $100, 5 years ago and it's still working great.
easy install, takes about 30 minutes.
Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 10:52 PM   #8
Spend the money to get a power jack. I got mine on eBay for $100. Then you don't have to remember to take the drill, charge the drill, or find a place to store the drill. The power jack is worth every penny.
Dvigna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 01:18 AM   #9
My 2 cents

Spend the money on a good quality electric jack. You will not regret it. Trust us on this.

2012 Surveyor SP-240, Hobie Odyssey
Aspen 5.7L HEMI V8, Tekonsha P3
Blue Ox 1500 WDH with Sway Control
Barker 3500 Tongue Jack
DW & a feisty Border Terrier named Painter
slipf18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 09:16 PM   #10
If you aren't ready to spend the money on an electric jack, I recommend one of these.
I installed on on our last TT and it worked great. Saved a zillion turns on the crank and provided a foot pad.

A rainy day campin' is better than a sunny day workin'.

'13 Windjammer 3025W
'14 Ram 3500 w/6.7 Cummins
No dogs. No Cats. No kids. Just us.
Whitewolf is offline   Reply With Quote